Swamp Donkey success....

antlerrick

Very Active Member
We finally got out to hunt for my son's moose and headed up near Ogden on Thursday night. We ran into the same bull we had seen a couple weeks ago and were able to put him down. We have never hunted moose before so it was tough trying to decide what we were looking at, and how good of a bull we should hold out for. My son was within 30 yards with his bow, but it was too thick to see him well, and some grouse busted out and spooked the bull. As he ran straight away, he figured that he wasn't that big so he turned him down and headed back to where we were. We watched him for about 4 hours and got a bunch of video of this bull, as he wouldn't leave his cow and stayed visible on the sidehill. After checking out all our footage, and not having seen any other bulls, decided if he ever seen this bull again, he would take it if possible. Unfortnately, the last time we seen him he was headed down into a big deep canyon, and it was getting dark. We couldn't find him again the next couple of days.
We found Thursday morning about 400 yards from where we first seen him and put him on the ground about 8:30 in the morning After having to pound him 3 times with his 300RUM,
to get him to stay down, he was pretty happy when he finally got to put his hands on him and see how nice he really was. And then the Work began!!!
Wow they are big animals. Those things are absolutely huge to say the least! He is probably not the biggest bull around, but he had some cool characteristics that we both liked. He had long points and a great looking set of antlers that had width, height and depth.
It was amazing to watch the video and to see what the force of that bullet did to that moose. The first shot at about 200 yards threw him sideways and the stumbling made him fall. He then tried to get up again and he shot again and the force again threw him to the ground Again he tried to get up and the last shot hit him so hard that his head was thrown to the ground and his hind legs actually were kicked up into the air from the force of the hit. Amazing that a bullet could hit that hard, and knock a 1200 lb animal like it did.
Anyway here are a few of the pictures of his bull.
Hope you enjoy...

4ad22bcb7f1f60e1.jpg

The bull when we first seen him 2 weeks ago.

4ad22c3a021e3c5b.jpg

4ad22c6903ef49cf.jpg

4ad22c85046a7e44.jpg

Rick/Jace,
Stopped over in Venice yesterday to see Kimball's sheep and saw your moose. He is a beauty. He has everything in perfect symmetry. He is going to look amazing on your wall.

I'm jealous beyond-----. I have 16 points for Utah moose, 9 points in Wyoming and applied in Montana and Idaho for years. About the time they move me into a Care Center because I can no longer dress myself, I'll draw a tag.

I'd like to visit with you about the Ogden unit some time this fall.

DC

Well Rick, I guess this means you won't be stopping in to see me huh. Congrats. Thats a nice looking bull. I don't think people realize how big those animals are.

Yelum

Hey Larry,
I thought about you right before I hit Salt Lake, but figured it was getting warm enough we had better get him home asap.
I was hoping to get by and see you before we got finished hunting up that way..

I realy like the length of the tines on that bull.

I cant wait to draw that tag it is what im chasing for my oil tag. this year has been awesome for me with moose experiences. I cant count on one hand how many Iv called in to bow range. I think they respond better to a call than any other big game animal.

once again congrats

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Excellent bull moose, beautiful animal! Congrats to the hunter.

I also like the long tines on his rack, very unique and will look spectacular on the wall.

LBR

I cant believe you were going to pass this bull up. Very nice looking bull and congratulations.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-09 AT 10:01AM (MST)[p]RICK, TELL JACE CONGRATS ON THE MOOSE, THAT THING IS A REAL STUD!

BUGLEMN

PS CAN YOU POST UP THE VIDEO BY CHANCE OF THE KILL?????

That is a great Shiras bull!! No way would I have passed him up. Good deal!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Way To Go Jace and Rick!!! I love the tine length on that BULL he is awesome.....Now we need to find a big STINKY....I'll give you a call in the next few days and we'll make a game plan...

Later, L.T.

lt, I'm ready and waiting...
That was a great hunt and it all couldn't have worked out better than it did.

We need to find me a big stinky and the year will have been a great year, even with all the medical and family issues that have reared their ugly heads...
But all of that is now behind us and the big bulls better keep their heads low, huh?

Wow. To think you passed on him once. Glad you got another chance. Awsome looking Bull. Post the video we want to see the action!

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I'll try to get a video clip on this evening. It all happened so fast, I didn't get a lot, but the shots are pretty cool.

Congrats Jace and Rick! Very nice bull! Glad Jace did not beat you up and kill you like I tried to!

Send me an email Rick with your address? Barbie is ready to take a road trip with you.;-)

Great moose Rick yep the fun is over when they hit the ground those rear qaurters can just about hurt a guy.
Good job guys.
Hey if Ktc sends Barbie for your hunt Rick please don't pick up her bad habits.Ha

Hey WB It has been so long I don't know what bad habits are!

I am working on posting the little video clip...stay close!

Wow, I didn't think they got that big in Utah. Congrats, you and your boys make a great team. Good luck in a couple weeks.

Lets see the video!!!!! It was awesome in real life behind the gun, and the video was awesome too. Thanks dad for going and videoing the hunt. Thanks for packing out the moose for me. It was a lot of work and i'm glad I wasn't by myself when he hit the ground. Moose are HUGE animals that require lots of help. Thanks again Dad... I had a blast and a hunt of a lifetime.

The video is on now...
I'm glad I was able to pack it out for you and be a part of a fun hunt....
yea, right!
Thanks Jace..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom