Tag Numbers-Everybody Happy ?

nebo12000

Since the RAC meetings I have heard zilch concerning proposed tag numbers for big game in 2013. There was some good discussion in regards to antlerless tag numbers and tag number splits for elk units with late hunts-- other than that its been real quiet, at least on this site. Everyone must be pretty much okay with what is being proposed---.

I was supprised about the # of wasatch late tags, I have a son who I'm hoping to get drawn before he's 18. I put him in for So Cache late thinking there were only going to be 30 or so tags on the late wasatch hunt. Also I put for a sheep unit with only one tag, does that automatically go the top pt holders???

Deerlove,
No the tag does not go to the top points holder. Only 50% go to top point holders. That number is rounded to down if the numbers are not even.

The proclimation explains it if you take a look.

Nebo,

The elk tsgs on the North and South Cache are too high. We talked to our Biologist on the Cache unit. They haven't flown the units for 4-5 years. The success rates for the North Cache is the worst in the State at 30% on LE ELK. There was only one cow elk on the Millville Face and about 28 bulls. There used to be 200-300 elk that were fed.

There used to be 100 plus elk that wintered around Garden City Canyon near Bear Lake, now there are a hand full. I'm glad the North RAC choose to not increase tag numbers for Antlerless hunts, and a slight decrease in bull permits. Computer models are screwed up if they believe there are 2,500 elk on the Cache, and 18K deer as well. They should have cut cow permits IMO.

We will see what they find out next year when they fly,
and what changes will occur in the future.

Nebo,
You obviously missed my rant about sheep tags over on the sheep forum, if you think we are all happy with proposed tag #s. I voiced my outrage on that forum, and to my RAC members....not that it will make any difference.

Have any numbers been changed since the original proposed numbers came out? These numbers came out before the RAC meetings and I'm wondering what has changed or where to look for the new numbers.

Thanks nebo for this topic post.

Zeke

Not happy about pine valley deer. I think there were to many hunters last year and they still raised the numbers. According to there counts the unit is still below objective.

Seen several other units i dont think deer tags should have increased on. Also some that should have decreased Like the SW desert

I've looked online again but still cannot find the "permits approved for drawing in 2013". I found 2012 but can't find the updated tag numbers for 2013.
Have the actual numbers been set yet?
Does anyone know where to find the actual 2013 numbers?
Are they the same as the old proposed numbers that we saw about a month age?
I would guess/hope the F&G knows since the drawing is in about 3 weeks!
Zeke

All I could find real quick is on their FB page, they meet next week.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Utah-Division-of-Wildlife-Resources/136959382981749

>I've looked online again but still
>cannot find the "permits approved
>for drawing in 2013". I
>found 2012 but can't find
>the updated tag numbers for
>2013.
>Have the actual numbers been set
>yet?
>Does anyone know where to find
>the actual 2013 numbers?
>Are they the same as the
>old proposed numbers that we
>saw about a month age?
>
>I would guess/hope the F&G knows
>since the drawing is in
>about 3 weeks!
>Zeke

Well, we'll see what they change, if anything.
I know there has been lots of concern about tag numbers across all species this year.

Thanks CD for the link.

Zeke

Well, At least we now have individual deer units now so something
can be accomplished there, and some progress being made ..

I see several general deer units that will gain ground quickly
now that opt 2 is in place, that's truly nice to see ..
BUT a few units need bigger tag cuts, the Nebo unit stands out.
I wish Nebo was at the 18-20 B/D ratio, and a 1K less permits.
The late LE elk on Nebo, Well, That's about the last nail ..

The antler less elk is SCREWED up!
Just as berry has referred to, the Wasatch is on a downward spiral,
The south end of the snatch is suffering bigtime!
4,500 cow permits + the addition of late LE elk tags, SAD,SAD,SAD

Others that stick out, Boulder, herd estimate of 1,600,
Yet there putting 700 cow tags on it..Not good.

Anthro, estimated herd of 850,, 700 recommended cow permits.

Plateau antelope,,,,500 doe permits, 275 buck permits. A bit excessive.

JMHO

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-13 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]I share your concerns. We will have to wait to see what the wildlife board decides on some of the tag numbers. John Bair and Cal Crandall were at the Central RAC meeting and heard the discussion and comments. We recommended that the late tags be reduced and put into the archery hunt on Nebo. The success rate on archery on the Nebo is only around 25% while the historical success rate on the late hunt on Nebo is almost always 100%. One of the biggest complaints from LE Elk hunters on the Nebo was overcrowding, so that is why a late hunt was proposed .The move was made so that it would spread out the number of hunters. Nebo has a problem with elk being on private lands so that antlerless hunting gets focused on public lands more intensely. We discussed setting up a program that would incentivize private landowners to allow hunting on their lands so that antlerless hunting pressure would be more widespread on the unit.
The DWR is compelled by state law to keep elk numbers within certain agreed population levels in every unit. The Nebo and the Wasatch have situations that a good number of elk move onto private lands that are not accessible to public hunters. Even though the elk are not on public ground they have to be included in the population counts. In order for the DWR to keep to the population number agreement, the public land animals are the ones that receive the majority of the harvest and reduction in numbers. John Fairchild gave us some info on how Idaho deals with this same issue, so we are hopefully going to come up with a proposal. The Wasatch has the same problem.
Even though Nebo is still below population objective, The biologists assume a calf crop of around 350 , so they believe that the post season count even with antlerless harvest will be somewhere around the 1450 population level.

There you go again Nebo! 25% archery success and another 50% archery wounded, lost and never recorded. You archery hunters will never quit. If there's a problem, just lower the numbers of hunters, don't move them from one hunt to another hunt under the disguise of archer's propaganda.

I don't archery hunt. The reason the late hunt etc got proposed was because the rifle hunters were complaining about overcrowding. Just can't please everyone.

Yea gotta love those beer drinkin 1000 yard rifle shots with no follow up. "Well he was still runnin I must of missed"

Kinda disappointed in the reason for cutting book cliff tags; If I remember correctly it was words to the effect "too many bucks being killed on the north end" If that is indeed the case split the unit! Sounds kinda like a validation of option two (which I agree with). Other than that I agree with Littlebighorn on the sheep permits.

>Kinda disappointed in the reason for
>cutting book cliff tags; If
>I remember correctly it was
>words to the effect "too
>many bucks being killed on
>the north end" If
>that is indeed the case
>split the unit! Sounds
>kinda like a validation of
>option two (which I agree
>with). Other than that
>I agree with Littlebighorn on
>the sheep permits.

yup...pretty asinine reason for cutting LE deer permits...is there really a reason to hunt the LE units anymore unless we're talking about Paunsaugunt or Henrys???

United Wildlife Cooperative
Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom