TAKE SOME DAMN PICS!!!!

hossblur

Long Time Member
We all love a great pic of an animal.

But, take some pics of where your hunting. You never know when a fire might hit, or old age might stop you.

So, here's your reminder, get some pics of your area, and the folks you hunt with.

I've been hunting the same unit, same area for 50 years. My BIL, now deceased, and our other friend, 86 had more stories than I can remember.

Hoss is right. To that I would add write down stories your elders tell you. One day that may be all you have.

I rarely look at scenery photos I’ve taken in the past, but I still try to remind myself to do it. You never know when you’re going to be stuck in a 2 man tent with no cell coverage during an all day rain storm. That’s when I start looking at photos on my phone.
The photos are so good at triggering my memory of the hunt or adventure I was on.

!!!!!

IMG_7108.jpeg

It’s funny, I hardly take any hunting pictures anymore. I realized a few years ago that when I’m scrolling though my pictures they are not the ones I pull up to look at, I dont even see them really.It’s pictures of my girls, or my grandkids that will make me stop and remember. The time I’ve spent in the field or animals I’ve taken really mean nothing when it comes to what I want to look back on and remember. Guess I’m getting old

Very few pics of animals that I’ve kept are just me or just the animal. The ones that have kept their spot on the camera roll tend to be the ones that show who I was with.

Hoss is right…take pics. Even if they don’t mean much to you, they will mean the world to someone else one day. Those grand kids people are mentioning one day would LOVE to have pics of grandpa and his hunting trips.

I promise those will be treasures one day for them.

Last edited:
Excellent advice for sure!
I have pics of names carved in an aspen at our traditional camping site for the deer opener. Most of the carvers have passed on. But I still know where that tree is and remember them carving on it.
Conjures up incredible memories.

i have mine and my brothers initials carved in a spot i used to sit every year elk hunting. hes gone now, and the likely hood of anyone ever seeing those initials again is pretty much zero. maybe ill give my grand son the coordinates so when im gone he can get in there and see them one day

I agree about taking some pictures. However, there's something to be said for those memories that can live only in your head.

"He looked off into the distance, at something only he could see."
Yup. Every year I take a certain drive. Same drive I've taken since 73, maybe 74.

There are certain landmarks I see which remind me of stories told over a history that reaches back maybe 80 years combined between my old hunting partner, my BIL and I. That is why I go back every year.

Yup. Every year I take a certain drive. Same drive I've taken since 73, maybe 74.

There are certain landmarks I see which remind me of stories told over a history that reaches back maybe 80 years combined between my old hunting partner, my BIL and I. That is why I go back every year.
Love it!

Don’t take any pictures of the areas you hunt. It will be depressing later when you see what it once was and what it is later. It could be a wind turbine Mecca or new housing sits there, nice ones or 40 acre dumps. Or could be the rancher thought it was a good idea to take every piñon and juniper out from fence to fence. Maybe there will be Potash roads and lots of activity where just a few deer were able to eke by.

This is from this year. This power line right through our areas. New roads, new power lines and probably soon a pile of stupid fing windmills.

The one with culverts crossed a canyon with no roads and the only way to access was by hiking. I have shot several coyotes out of this stand over the years... But now it is road you can drive a subaru on..

power line 2.jpg

Power line.jpg

With todays cell phones taking great pictures is easy. For years my wife has been asking me to write little stories about the trophies around the house. Been trying to take more and more every year. And last few years try to write a short story about the hunts. Some published in hunting magazines. Seems friends and family want a photo update and story after our hunts. Easy way to write one up and send to everyone. MM’s Hunt Adventures is a great way to recap a hunt and save it. I just posted one from taking my son to Wyoming antelope hunting. Always more than just kill shots to show. Camp, scenery, sunsets and sun rises are all part of the experience.

The newer phones have really helped photos for sure along with mag view/phoneskope. I have tried to get in some decent pics of the hunt a lot more the last few years. I try to get some when friends/family are not aware.
64DDB0E1-6F6C-4A68-8715-AEA8A5C2538C.jpeg

i have mine and my brothers initials carved in a spot i used to sit every year elk hunting. hes gone now, and the likely hood of anyone ever seeing those initials again is pretty much zero. maybe ill give my grand son the coordinates so when im gone he can get in there and see them one day

The first teeth I lost as a kid happened about the same time as dad got his wisdoms out.

Both are buried in a pill bottle under a rock where we spend my childhood every opening morning.

Weird, ya. But whenever I'm there, I check on them ?

This cow would not leave my camp. Initially I chased her off but she kept coming back so I just accepted it. She actually had pretty good manners. She was careful around the tent and only knocked my chairs over once. Pretty good company actually

IMG_5248.jpeg

This cow would not leave my camp. Initially I chased her off but she kept coming back so I just accepted it. She actually had pretty good manners. She was careful around the tent and only knocked my chairs over once. Pretty good company actually

View attachment 121202
Sometimes it’s the little things that make a hunt… She needed some company and you provided it…

View attachment 121202
Been thinking of getting a portable bear fence just to keep cows out. Had a small herd come through one of my camps once and crapped all over the place. Had to carefully take down and move camp. ??
Usually not to bad but they alway seem to break something or get things muddy.

That’s funny. Yeah cows are the only thing that will actually worry me a little around camp. Bears, wolves (had one come by every night last week at 9:30 and howl at me) and whatever else isn’t going to do anything.

But big dumb cows I get visions of trampling my tent in the middle of the night. This one actually woke me up about 3 am 6” from my head outside the tent. But like I said she was pretty well mannered and actually looked like she was being carful walking around camp. Kinda funny little cow

Here are a few of my personal favorites from the past several years. The carving of the naked woman on the tree always cracks me up. Makes you wonder how many days in a row he was out there hunting ?

The pics are from NV, OR, NM, UT & AZ.
IMG_8504.jpeg
IMG_5042.jpeg
70094103171__6BE10B0E-9560-407E-A866-FAB68FCE3087.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg
IMG_3505.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_8931.jpeg
IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_2327.jpeg
IMG_5606.jpeg

Last edited:
I Don't Have A Picture Of It!

But Up The Lake Fork Drainage!

12-15 Miles Back In!

Carved In A Pine Tree!

(Not A Quake!)

A Lady Carved In a Pine Tree With Detail Like No Other!

I'd Place Money We Paid For That Carving!

This Carving Didn't Happen Overnight!

I Don't Have A Picture Of It!

But Up The Lake Fork Drainage!

12-15 Miles Back In!

Carved In A Pine Tree!

(Not A Quake!)

A Lady Carved In a Pine Tree With Detail Like No Other!

I'd Place Money We Paid For That Carving!

This Carving Didn't Happen Overnight!
That’s awesome!!! If you ever get back in there you have to get a picture of it.

Pass by a couple trees every season
1958 ……
No naked ladies ? But pretty special. Great pics 3toe
What happened to the other 2?
Lawn mower when you were young !?

Pass by a couple trees every season
1958 ……
No naked ladies ? But pretty special. Great pics 3toe
What happened to the other 2?
Lawn mower when you were young !?
Thanks!
No… I tell everyone that a snapping turtle took 2 of my toes while swimming in a pond as a kid.

The truth is, I have all of my toes. It’s just a turkey hunting reference or nickname that an old friend gave me over 30 years ago. His name was Robert & I called him Bobgobblin. I used to be pretty active on the NWTF forum & I started using the 3TOE handle there. It just stuck through the years.

It the OP, good reminder! I always take lots of photo and usually write up the strories. Just not usually posted here as I frequent a different forum most often. All good wherever we choose to share IMO.

Even when I tag out, all the various photos are usually the best ‘trophy’ and most appreciated part of the memory, along with the detailed play by play writeup. Totally worth it.

A few photos from this year.
IMG_8364.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg
IMG_8157.png
IMG_8294.jpeg

IMG_8383.jpeg
IMG_8392.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom