Taking a Rifle to Canada

CFMuley

I just booked a last minute spot and stalk bear hunt in Alberta for a few weeks from now. I’ll be flying from SLC to Edmonton. From what I gather I just have to declare it and pay a fee when entering Canada. Is there anything I should be aware of outside the normal rules when flying with a firearm?

The last time I went, there was a helpful website in Canada about transporting firearms into the country. It had the forms you can fill out and instructions on the regulations and how to follow them. Even I could understand so I think you will be fine. I also had to complete the Customs/Boarder Protection Certificate of Registration declaring personal effects taken aboard. I know I had to take my rifle, spotters, cameras, etc and show them to an officer at the airport before I took them across the border. I did that a week or two prior to leaving.
It seems like you are well traveled so that's probably nothing new to you, but I do envy your opportunity to "get out of Dodge". Have fun.

Regarding flying with a gun, nothing to do with entering or return from Canada but I was a insightful on using a hard golf bag to fly with a rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom