Taste of venison from out west.

I

iowahunter

I have heard that the deer out in Wy taste like pine needles compared to our corn feed Iowa deer. Just wondering if it would be worth getting an extra doe tag.

The whiteys in WY will taste different that the deer you are used to. Even the deer I take in No. MN taste diff than the So MN deer. Not better or worse, just different.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I'm originally from Penna and the deer there taste real good as compared to these western deer. Out here your eating sage brush deer. If you can cook them correctly they are just fine. If not then you'll get the ture taste of a deer in comparsion to the Iowa feed deer.

I gotta agree. The deer and antelope I have shot in WY sage country definitely had a "sagey" taste to them. Still good, just different.
I personally wouldn't shoot a muley doe for the meat. Call me a hypocrit cuz I shoot whitey does for the meat every year, I just like whitey's better?! :)
Good luck.

Lien2

The deer in Iowa taste much better in my opinion. I lived in Iowa for several years and loved to eat the whitetails. Not that I don't enjoy the muleys out west as well, but in my opinion as far as taste they don't compare.

See... I'm kinda new here... so, my first reaction to (nearly) all these posts was "he he... these guys are try'n ta yank someone's chain!".
Butt.... if I am not mistaken... you guys are serious!
Please.. tell me... what is a "sagebrush deer"?
Sounds like I've been awful dang lucky to never run into one a them! Go blind try'n ta count all of them points! Perty chewwy, but great fer kindling!
Now... my 'ole Pappy... (well, maybee not him, butt one of my mentors 'an through personal experiance) taught me that game meat(meening deer, elk, prarie goat), barring extreem circomcisions..er..circumstances like extreem winters where a critter is living off of it's own body fat, hopped up on hormone, jus' run from the next county, older than dirt, etc, was only as tasty as the way it was taken care of after the harvest'n.
Every forkfull of antelope I have taken was so tasty 'an delicious, I have seen grown men weep at the thought of an empty plate.
I have taken muley's above timberline, 'an down so low I needed scuba gear, 'an I hafta say, not one precious once tasted anything like sagebrush.
I can only speculate, having never kilt 'an et one, that if whitetail is so far superior than mule, then ittid be like extraterestrial or sumthing...outta body maybee.
Kinda makes me wonder why anybody'd spend all that money 'an time to come out here 'an kill a stinky 'ole muley?
But then... you guys are jus' yank'n my chain, right??

:<}

I can tell you the Midwest (Missouri, Iowa, Kansas) deer taste MUCH different than deer I grew up hunting in Virgina and Tennessee.

Give me the Midwest deer anytime,

Archer

Nothing beats a whitetail or muley that has been raiding the rancher's alfalfa hay field for the past 2-3 months. I have to agree that CA. blacktails are hard to beat for good taste.

RELH

The best tasting deer I have ever had were whitetails from eastern montana. These deer had been feeding in a sugar beet field.

BT

Never had 'whitey' but a few muley's from western Colorado. My Wife shot one a few years ago that had been living in peach and apple orchards with various cover crops in the rows. It was an exceptionaly tasty deer, almost as good as a calf elk.

BeanMan

I've shot and eaten elk, mulies, and antelope. I've NEVER had anything but delicious meat. I've not had whitetail since I lived in Wisconsin as a kid, but if my memory is right it was great too. As stated above all of these animals taste differant. Alphalpha fed, sage fed, mountain forbes fed, grain fed,...all taste the same to me within the same species. Field care will be a far greater determinant on flavor than what the animal is eating. Now I've never had a rutted up muley, but have had plenty of elk and antelope from the season and they were all fine as well. Treat the meat well in the feild, don't buy into the the need to age it for flavor (especially antelope), and treat it with all the respect you would an excellant cut of beef when you cook it, and you'll like what you've shot.

deer out here in the stinky, gamey, thougher than leather west taste like crap so please stay in your home grown whitytighty over populated and ran over with them stupid whitetail deer hood!! yes they are the easyist to slay be cause the do not have a smart gene in them unless it farmer johns brother!
rm

I try to shoot the little ones with knobs as antlers.
They still got that milky taste to em.

LOL

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I like to describe a mule deer in sagebrush country as having a "sweet" taste compared to to one not. But that's just been my experience, which is limited. The only whitetail I've eaten came from Northern Idaho and it was fair.

Can't beat a coastal blacktail!

Steve

Hey Iowahunter,

I was born and raised in Iowa and have taken many deer back there. I always thought that you could not beat a cornfed Iowa deer. I live in Arizona now and have taken mule deer and a couple of Coues whitetail and these deer out here taste great. I shot a big muley in 2003 that I tought would be tough and wild tasting but it was very good. I believe also in a good processsor to help the toughness and taste.
I have hunted in Colorado and Utah and venison is just plain good if it is well taken care of and properly cooked.

Where are you from? I grew up in Algona.

Steve

They all taste good if you make a clean kill, cool em down quick, and take care of the meat enroute to the freezer.
They will all taste a little different depending on what they eat. Worst meat I've had lately came from a 2-yr old buffalo cow that my friend and I paid to have butchered since it was 90 degrees every day and we were short on time. I will never have that butcher do anymore meat for me. Cut wrong, lots of gristle, nothing trimmed away that needed trimming. How the meat is handled makes a big difference.

Phantom Hunter

my experience is the witeys and muleys i killed in eastern wa. farm/wheat/alfalfa/misc. grains/etc. country taste a lot better than the whiteys i used to get back in the northeast..same manner of handling the meat in both places. i think it's the grain fed thin versus the northeast where they eat lots of acorns.

Nobodies yanking your chain. The reason people go after the mountain sage muleys is their body size, and if the moisture is there, it is common to see plenty of 180+ Racks during your hunt.
My 29" buck field dressed at 250 pounds. They are way more muscular and bigger than field deer.

Now see, here's our experience. We've killed Muleys and blacktails in the higher elevations; Blacktails from lower elevations mostly clearcut/ timbered areas and Muleys from lower elevations; and blacktails from agricultural farm fields and orchards and muleys from wheat and alphala agricultural areas. Some have been big ole rutting bucks and some have been younger bucks.....They've all had great flavor. We haven'nt been able to detect a difference. With the exception of one big rutting buck in the eighties, they've all tasted great. Our venison tastes like venison. Just my two cents.

I've killed deer in the east and west and there is a bit of a difference but they are all good. The doe tag is worth it. Most of my deer hunting is eastern Montana where you can get whitetail and muley off the same patch of land eating the same things. I've shot old whitetail that were tough and gamey and i've shot young muley that would compete with any whitetail for pure tendernous and flavor. The key is shoot the young doe if you are after meat.

yep these deer in wyoming taste like dirt so stay home {just kiddin}.
i don't know i have only eaten wyoming deer but i love them.
get a doe tag so if you don't get a monster muley you can let the young bucks live.

If you ever get the chance to try some Sika meat from Md's eastern shore, you'll be in for a real delicacy. :9

"Good mass & long brow tines"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom