Taurus 357 mag

I've owned one for 6 or 8 years, it's a heavy framed 8 shot, ported barrel. Shoots smooth as a razor. Can't beat it for the $$.

DC

I own several Colts.....different models and calibers. For protection in the back country, they are perfect (same would apply to the Taurus). For carry in civilization, they are large enough (as would be the Taurus) that one will usually leave them at home.

For protection against bears & critters, such weapons are great. For protection against two-legged rascals, no gun is of any value unless it's convenient enough that you actually have it WITH you at all times.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-10 AT 11:36PM (MST)[p]I have the Taurus 605, 5 shot, in the 357 caliber. Its a pretty good gun, has a 2" barrel, easy to carry, hard for me to hit any thing over about 25 yards. I think Taurus is a good gun for the money. I also have the Rugar sp 101, its a better gun, it has a 3 1/4" barrel. Its also more money. I also have a S&W with a 6" Barrel. I am more accurate with it, but less likely to carry it because of its size.
I also agree with gb22

I'd be careful of the old ones. Back 30+ years ago Taurus revolvers were cheap wanna be S&W's and IMO, there was a major difference in craftsmanship and accuracy. Nowadays, not nearly so much. Yes, i'd buy one!!

Joey

Don't fool yourself into thinking the .357 is a bear stopper, it's not. It will kill them just fine, but it is way to light to be considered a bear stopper. As far as Taurus quality, not a bad choice, especially for the price.
Also, the comments about the weapon being of no use if it isn't with you when you need it speak for themselves. If this is being purchased for a concealed carry weapon make sure you can carry it day in and day out, year round comfortably. You will probably have to modify the way you dress if you want the weapon to actually be accessible when you need it in a hurry. You can conceal just about anything in the winter, but summer is a different story. In warm or hot weather I wear a lightweight short sleeve shirt a size larger than I need, untucked with a light T-shirt under it. I can conceal a full size 1911 in a belt slide holster, two mags and a blade with no problem dressed in this fashion.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

I also have the 2" 605 model. I carry it daily and I've found ammo that it likes that is very accurate. I'm not dissapointed with the purchase.

I have a 357 Mag Taurus with a 4" barrel and I am very pleased with the way it shoots and the rugged construction. For the money it would be hard to beat.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

I carry a Taurus 650 .357 hammerless with a 2" barrel. I can put it in the front pocket of my jeans and it shows no more than my wallet and cell phone. Even with a tucked-in shirt.

Great gun and extremely accurate for a 2" barrel.

For holstered carry, while hunting or scouting, a FOBUS holster can't be beat.

Grizzly

I was wondering the opinion of 2" vs. 3" barrels on this type of weapon.

I have a dan wesson 357 with a 4 1/2 barrel. I really like shooting the thing. Would like to have a similar weapon with a shorter barrel.

Do you think the 3in is still alright for a carry weapon. Or should I just go with the 2 in , since my current 357 would be so similar to the 3 in.?

I guess I am saying is the shootability of the 3 in. worth the extra inch of bulk?

Opinions welcome.

I would not personally like a 3" barrel for a carry weapon and I don't think that accuracy is going to be any better either.

I CARRY A taurus 66 357 mag. SHES SO FINE,
revolvers have one glitch they are heavy.
mine's ported and packs one more round, ya seven shots.
that a bunch of hoopla if you dont' think this packed with holloes wo'nt stop a bear.
most people that get eaten by bears just don't pull the trigger enough.

Elkmaster have you ever killed a bear with a handgun? I have and hollowpoints are the last thing you want to use because they are soft and won't penetrate. You need deep penetration to kill bears CONSISTENTLY with a handgun (unless you're worried about 150lb idaho bear cubs) that means heavy hard bullets with a large meplat.

I've shot bears in alaska with a 320 grain 44mag hardcast I loaded to over 1,200 fps and now feel that I was slightly undergunned. I am switching to a 480 ruger for handgunning bears. I've only killed a few bears myself but have been witness to over 50 bear kills.

Personally I would spend an extra hundred or two and get a Smith & Wesson or Ruger over a Taurus. There are some good Taurus' out there but I've seen a lot of rejects also (I think quality control goes out the window on Monday morning in Brazil, too many hangovers).

gb22's post is spot on...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

ELKMASTER,

I didn't say a .357 won't kill a bear, I said it is not a bear stopper. Sorry, I've seen people take hits from more powerful rounds and keep going. Also, as a young adult I worked up north, my job was keeping bears away from our work sites. A .357 will kill any bear just fine, it just won't stop them reliably. And as far as those wonderful hollow points, hey they work great on thin skinned, small boned and lightly muscled critters, like humans. As was noted, penetration is the key to stopping bears. If I had to depend on a .357 for bear security I would pack the hottest, heaviest, extra hard cast lead round I could order. But hey you are correct, pump enough lead into a critter and it will eventually die. The question is, who is going to die first?

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

ya your right,

its not a good idea to hit it with a mushrooming bullet that drives all it energy into that bullet on expansion,
so get yourself some solids that hold together and just pass right thru.
I do just that, carry every other round hollow then solid
barns bullets are my choice,
starting of with the hollow point,
slow them down on the first shot, which gives me time to kill on my second.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom