Taxidermy?

GLEDEASY

I'm going to be having my bull mounted shortly from this past year. There are a couple elk in the house already, so space is becoming limited. I'm really tempted to have the antlers pegged. My idea is not for only the ease of getting it to certain parts of the house, but also future bulls that I perhaps might harvest or find sheds to. Now, I don't think I'll do so unless I get him officially scored first.

My question is, has anyone pegged both antlers before? Then used the mount to display separate sets periodically? I'm curious if this is something you were happy you did or regretted?

I presume by stating pegging you are meaning removeable antlers?

If so, yes it makes getting into your home easy-peasy, before I put in French Doors via the patio/deck area. Now I could walk in an elephant mount!! haha

Go for it

Robb

Sounds like those who have detached the antlers are happy about it.

What about using the same shoulder mount for multiple racks? Can you keep the natural look from set to set even though not all antlers come off the pedicle the same?

I actually pin antlers quite often. It actually allows me to maneuver mounts to give clients a better finished product. As far as using multiple antlers on a mount it's possible, but probably won't be the best finished product for the replacement. There are alot of variables in how antler burr angle differs as well as beams. It could effect how it lines up and spread. When I pin antlers I drill up through the bottom of the skull plate into the antler about 2-3". Then I epoxy a square tube in the hole that I drilled. Then I cut the antler below the burr and use a square peg to locate the antler back to the original position. Best described as a truck receiver and hitch.
Hope this helps