Tents

BWO

Does anyone have any experience with the Cabelas alaknak tents vs a canvas wall tent? Which do you prefer? How does the alaknak do late season, November time frame?
Thanks for any replies.

A buddy of mine is a confirmed wall tent guy, until he bought the Cabela's Alaknak. He uses it in late Nov. hunts in Idaho and some other hunts in Oregon and Nevada. He swears by the Alaknak, telling me it sets up easier, is weather proof and dries quickly. He has the front area vestibule and sets his kitchen up in it. Hope this helps, I'm considering retiring my wall tent too.
MTShasta

I have two 13 X 27 alaknaks and have the vestibule for both ends.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/17687image.jpeg
One big thing that no one mentions is that it has a floor and it keeps mice out. It comes with stove jacks. It doesn't get moldy and start stinking. It will definite have condensation if you use any propane devices inside it.
It probably isn't as warm as canvas but still warm enough. The material is pretty tough, surprisingly so. Set up is quick and easy, takes me a half hour and I can do it alone though I prefer not to. The poles are proprietary and you need them, whereas with canvas you can use poles in the woods, which would be better if you are packing in backcountry etc. I can't see how it could ever be packed on a horse. The pole bag is five foot long and about fifty pounds. The tent itself packs down to about four foot and 40 pounds and is easy to get back in its bag, not like other tents.
You ask about November, not sure what part of the country you are talking but if you mean snow...you better be careful with it. Some snow will slide off if the wind is blowing but if it's a heavy wet dump wth no wind..say 8 inches or more..you run the risk of it collapsing, don't ask how I know. However the tent is so strong the poles will bend before it rips. But not a worry if someone stays at camp. It will stay warm if you keep feeding the fire but it's safe to say it's not as warm as canvas in the mornings. If you plan on having a wood stove in it definetly get the roof protector..and definitely snap it on before standing the tent up, from experience again. lol

All around it's a great modern tent with a lot less hassle than canvas when it comes to moisture. No need for sprays, wax ,etc. The vestibule is overpriced, up to you on that, but it's nice to put a little bench in there to put boots on in the morning. No boots in my tents ever. But if you don't get the vestibule on just perfect it will leak when it rains....right over the door where your boots are likely to be! That makes a shitty morning.

Overall I cannot say it's better or worse than canvas, but the alaknaks is a hellova tent and clients like being in it. It doesn't get hot in the daytime, has big vents on the roof and big windows. I won't ever be buying canvas again. Did you see the video where the couple moved into one?

Thanks for the replies. Exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.
No I haven't seen the video where the couple moved into one. I will have to look it up.
Yes I want to put a stove in the tent for heat/cooking.

I have had some late season hunts in Idaho where I was very happy to be in a canvas tent with a good frame. I have really checked out those Alenak's when they were set up at cabelas just trying to convince myself they might be another option and an excuse to burn some cabelas points. I couldn't bring myself to trying one because they felt way to flimsy for the kind of late season hunts I have been on.

On a recent shed hunting trip I set my canvas wall tent up by myself in the same amount of time as another guy that had a alanak, and when it came time to sit around and drink a beer, all I know is everybody ended up in my tent.

Mine is a 12X20 with the vestibule. It's been in wet, heavy snow that was falling pretty hard. I needed to push the top to get the snow to slide off under those conditions. Other than that, I have no complaints in eight years. Hokkaido was right on the money. Although I haven't experienced a significant problem with condensation. On the hunt pictured below, the snow was dry enough and the tent warm enough that the snow sloughed off without needing any help.

13622004small.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Here's the video http://youtu.be/RhgeF9dbJp8
Better than a tiny house if you ask me,
The alaknak is by no means flimsy or weak. I have mine up for a month straight every year in some pretty rough weather and have had no integrity problems at all, other than having 18in of wet, heavy snow fall on it, which bent the poles. No tent would be expected to make it through that. They closed the highway and I couldn't get to camp to take care of it, totally my fault.

In sagebrush's picture above you can see how hard the wind was blowing by looking at the snow on the tree on the left. I'm sure it handled that wind no problem. The alaknaks are tough, I might venture to say that they are tougher than most canvas. Wet heavy snow will destroy any tent and the alaknak is one of the best at handling rough weather. When it's snowing hard enough to potentially damage the tent the hunting won't be any good anyway and you'll be at camp, or wish you were. Just simply push from the inside to slide it off. Most snow slips right off on its own anyway. It will take an amazing amount of weight before being damaged, not really something to worry about.

I have read quite a few complaints about condensation in the tent with big propane items like heaters and stoves. Lanterns are no problem. But a little condensation isn't too big a deal, pretty minor thing to complain about. Lot better than mold on canvas. Other than that you can't find anything to dislike about the alaknak. A big wet canvas tent is a real PITA and having that floor is really nice. No fun having mice running around your sleeping bag at night. The walls don't get dirty like canvas either. It looks nice on the inside as well.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/53525image.jpeg
Guys put their things under their cots and there is plenty of space for six guys. In the pic there is a piece of plywood behind the stove to protect the wall from the big stove. One windy night the walls were flapping with the wind a bit and while we were sleeping it got kicked over onto the stove! It eventually lit up after smoldering quite a while. Lucky I got up for a piss...the tent was full of smoke and things could've got really bad. Not the best idea! lol

Hokkiado and Sagebrush are right on the money. Had one for many years. Snow sleet rain dry cool hot it just don't matter. I love this tent. Have the 12x12 and use propane to heat. No real issues with condensation either as you can get plenty of air circulation if you do it right. Put a couple cots on the outside walls and a 6' folding table for anything you wish in the middle and its almost like home. The vestibule is fantastic also just a little harder to get set up with than the tent. BTW, We horsed our tent into the Thorofare! 26 miles. We actually cut out our own poles. Worked fantastic. No not as good as the real poles but worked just fine, as we would never consider bringing them poles up there. I can put a couple of pics on to show you if you want.
Buy the tent, its a great tent.
Hunterturbo

Here in Denver we have one of the major canvas wall tent manufacturers (it's cool to go out on the floor and see them work) and even they say that the Alaknaks are good tents. One guy I know that now has the Alaknak, but hunted out of/owned a wall tent for 20 years says he likes the wall tent much better in actual use, but is sticking with the Alaknak due to the weight.

Hey there turbo it would be great to see those pics, sounds like an incredible adventure. The only pole that seems tricky to make is the exterior chassis pole on the 12x20 and 13x27s. I guess the other ones wouldn't be too hard, the doors would be a bit tricky, have to rope together three strong sticks?
That has to be the record for the longest pack an alaknak has taken. 26 miles one way?
More and more outfitters are seeing the advantages of these tents and putting them in their camps. I love mine and won't buy anything else. And since I have two of them now, I don't think I'll ever need to lol. When the poles bent on my first one I called cabelas for replacements but was told they didn't have any. I told the girl what happened and asked if there was any kind of discount. I made it real clear that it was my fault and I wasn't blaming them. She knocked the price down from $1500 to the lowest price it had ever been on sale for, $1100..very kind I thought. And f course a few months later I was looking in the cave online and found a pole replacement kit lol. So now I have two, one for each of my sons once I'm too old.

Hokkaido,
Here you go
Had to use the vestibule pole as we are not that good at carving.
Used a oats bag for the bottom to protect and a old shirt for the top of the center pole protector
And Yes, What an adventure!!!!!!
Thanks
Hunterturbo

15141telk08336.jpg

18489telk08333.jpg

51802telk08334.jpg

29747telk08336.jpg

73986telk08337.jpg

48291telk08339.jpg

70850thorofareelk2008033.jpg

Those pics are great. Pretty nice digs for that deep in the woods. I like how you brought nails to use for the loops on top of the side poles. Lots of thought must have went into all that. Tent looks great.

I guess you could cook in the vestibule. There are big bears here and I have another tent for grub, so I've never tried it. Depends on how many people you have. I keep the one at the back full of stuff I want to keep dry, firewood, chainsaws, generator, power tools, targets etc, and the one in front more as a foyer.

I can say,
Thank God For Horses!
We spent some time working out how this would work and it worked out great. Not as well as the standard poles but no complaints either. I have cooked in my vestibule, and inside my tent on top of the 6' table. On that hunt, all food and prep for food was a few hundred yards away and up in trees! Had a Grizz Sow and 3 cubs come right into camp first night.
Thanks,
Hunterturbo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom