Thanks UT!! retirement looking good

schmalts

So, with the nonres able to apply and get bonus points for ALL species and the residents not, My retirement plans are a little brighter. My wife wants to settle down in the Provo or SLC area. So, in 10 years, I will have 10 or more bonus points for EVERY species, and then become a resident. SWEET!!! It will be nice to get a OIL tag, then switch to another species and have a 10 point jump start, same with LE tags. I imagine a lot of students and Military guys may end up doing something similar.

O.K., non of this is true, but I hope you guys see what your state has done for some lucky guys who will become residents down the road. Actually I will be retiring in the west someplace, so maybe this is true.
Just thought I would share something that maybe UT did not see coming.

I am not a fan of this idea, but I will admit that I am taking advantage of it. I put on for LE elk and mule deer with my moosie as well this year. My question is that say i live here in Montana and I build 16 points for both elk and deer tags and don't draw....then I move back home to Utah. I keep putting in, but can only put in for one species right? So in order to stay active I guess I have to put in one year for deer then the next year for elk? After how many years of not putting in do you loose your points?

As long as you put in for any animal in Utah you will keep all of your points for all species. You don't need to alternate between the two.

I have not put in for sheep in 8 years because I switched to moose. I still have the sheep points.
UT residents should not be too happy with this new point idea, and maybe this post may get some guys thinking about why having a point system any different than the resident is maybe not such a good idea. JMO

I am in CO and will be one of the suckers building points for all species and donating an extra 60 dollars. Was thinking about this strategy and if it would work. Unless the rules change (which they probably will) the only down side is it would take several years to draw your tags as a resident. So you better plan on staying for a while. Applying for any one species does retain all points you have accrued.

Its nice to get your name in a few more hats...but building all these points does get a little expensive. I look at it as a donation to fish and game...just hope they don't jack up the point cost/application fee after I am several years into it (like WY). My guess is they will.

Good luck in the draws....

Most people aren't going to let drawing a tag dictate where they are going to live the rest of there life though. That being said, I'm sure someone will take advantage of this. I suppose if you saved up enough points to be maxed out for a couple of species it might benefit you.

The down side to this that if you never plan on moving to utah, then all you have done is bought points to keep up with every non resident. so it hurts the non-residents chances of ever drawing, it is forcing you to buy a point so that you have at least one in a million chance. Basically it was a money thing to force you to buy a point, if you dont buy points this year then you will be behind the 30,000 non residents that did buy a point. Just a way to screw people over.

Yes. Instead of having a really horrible chance at drawing 2 tags, I now have a really horrible chance at drawing 8 tags. And spent an extra 60 bucks. Whatever...10 bucks a chance does not bother me. But - what is going to really suck is in 8 years when they make it 40 bucks a chance (or whatever).

I doubt too many people are going to move to draw tags and if they do...good for them. It might be a small advantage for a college kid, someone in the military or someone that relocates for work for a couple of years. I don't have a good handle on what it takes to draw res tags...so not sure how big an advantage it would be...

I have already talked to several people that have property in Utah that say they will be claiming residentcy in Utah when they retire, and build points for all species untill then.

So with that said, it looks like people ARE going to let the new Utah draw system dictate where they live !

Just another blunder desition by the Utah DWR !

It doesn't pay to be a Utah resident !

I think I will let the Utah draw system dictate where I am living after retirment, Wyoming babee !!

Sweet!! I wonder how many more thousands or tens of thousands the DWR tends to make from all of us out of staters putting in for all these tags...an extra $10 per species at a time?

I'm probably going to school out of state for the next three years and I was planing on doing that very thing. Sure its only three extra points but for every species, that will put me 12 years ahead of where I would normally be.

I agree it is a mess and unfair to Residents of Utah just like it is unfair to wyoming residents who can not apply for points for elk, deer and antelope. But then again they do not have to pay $100 for a shepp point and $75 for a moose point either.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Use you brains folks! This new $$$$ generator for Utah DWR will not help anyone's odds. Now there will just be 4-6 more people applying for every permit! The time to draw any OIL bonus permit will go from over 100 years to 500 years, especially if you are starting off with 0 points (this is not an exaggeration). Don't get to excited that you can now apply for every species, because so can every one else!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom