The Chase!

fstop

Don't post much about lions or running dogs, but I thought I'd let a few of you MM guys know about a story I've finally finished.

I've had the opportunity to tag along with a few houndsmen who love to chase cats. But, have never been successful in treeing an animal for tv. That has changed! Last week I tagged along with a friend of a friend and after two tough days, we finally treed a lion! The entire show this week (Roughin' It Outdoors) will be on the lion, the dogs, the houndsmen and the chase. I dive a little into the lack of lions in Utah the past decade or so and what houndsmen would like to see happen with these illusive cats. But mostly, it's a story about the love of the sport, the comraderie that lion hunters have with their dogs, friends ect.

I might add....I now have a much better appreciation for what houndsmen and lion hunters do. This is by far the most taxing and toughest hunt I've ever been on! I think of myself as being in pretty good shape. Not any more! I was sore for two solid days, couldn't feel my back for four and didn't know if I'd ever do that again....Of course I know I will, but it's going to be awhile.

If you get a chance, take a look this Saturday @ 11:00pm. For those that miss it you can always watch the stories on the web.

Just a note before I leave you alone....We didn't kill the lion, wasn't our intent. We just put this young tom in a tree and gave the guys a chance to talk about thier passion and love of the outdoors.

Later,

Fstop

http://www.plottdogs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7042

I'm glad to her you devote some air time to the sport of lion hunting. It's interesting how many people I talk to that stil believe there are too many lions in Utah, and that we need to kill more to save our deer herds.

I heard a couple lion hunters just spent nearly twenty days in the field out here in the Uintah Basin and only cut one female with kittens and an old tom track that may well have been dead. And personally, I protect what I know and where I go even from my best friends. I've hunted lions alone for years now because educating people on where and how to find a lion just further eliminates the opportunity to play the game of catch and release, and that's sad!

http://www.ingramwildlife.com/picture.htm

keep'em treed bu learn to walk away!

Ike

fstop
Thats neat that your going to do this. I appreciate people willing to spend a little time to see what lion hunting is all about instead of assuming. There's alot more to lion hunting than killing....way more. And the comraderie is also a special thing. Thanks and I'll look forward to watching it.
Catman

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-09 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]Thanks Adam, We as houndsman need some good press. I look forward to watching. It is a hard, but fun sport. The bear hunt is even funner and harder. Most people do not believe how hard it is to find a track. They believe that there are a lot of lions around.
Thanks I look forward to watching your show.
Kurt

I want to say thanks also. As a Central Utah houndsman I think it is important to look at the history of this sport and how it is slowly fading away. It is about the dogs ability to catch and hold a lion. The amount of dog training it takes is unbelievable. I look forward to watching the episode. Ben Lily would be proud.

Good show Adam. It showed that unlike many people think you do not always tree a cat. It is hard, it takes a little bit of luck just to find a track anymore.
Thanks

Fstop, That was a great show yesterday. It was able to clear up some common misconceptions of the hound dawger community. There's nothing like a pack of trained lion dogs working a lion.
Keep up the quality work.
caustom1.jpg

Adam
Watched the show lastnight it was great . I love seenin those cats. Good work man
Good Luck and Great Memories

49a49ead2a2c5044.jpg

Adam,
The guys you went and filmed for roughin it outdoors is who I went with to take this lion in the picture.It was one of the toughest hunts I have ever been on.Johnny and Blaine are true athletes those guys chewed me up and spit me out. I was sore for a week after the chase to get this lion.That was a great show last Saturday night.

Adam,

I enjoyed the show... looks like fun. I've yet to ever see a lion in the wild. Hopefully with 5 bonus points I will be getting close to drawing a tag one of these years.

Warbirdum,

That looks like a great lion. Do you have any pics of him in the field? What did you take him with?

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

Luckily from where we cut the track and where the big cat treed wasn't that far from my truck it was around a 6 hour chase in very steep country damn near wanted to quit twice and I was what I thought in good shape.I was hammered but thanks to Johnny and Blaine they drug it back to my truck full body.14 13/16 tied for second place in Utah archery for a time.
I don't think I would want another one but everybody should try it at least once it's not easy but they do make a great mount if you use a good cat taxidermist.One of my hardest earned hunts I have ever been on very physical and we made countless trips before going after a worthy sized track.It's one of my favorite mounts.

That's a good looking lion and mount as well Warbirdum, congratulations..........

ike

Thanks Ike,
Bet you can't wait to go on a bear chase.
Good luck this year,you have some great dogs keep up the good work and the most important part ENJOY everytime you head out with your pack.
Please share some pics again this year.
Monte

Thanks Monte, and I'll try and remember that.....

Seriously, a friend and I got to talking the other day about days in the field and hunting alone so I got to thinking back on the winter. Since elk season, I've had the dogs out twenty-two times and had them bark down the tracks of over a dozen different sets of lion tracks and one bear. At first I was complaining that there just aren't any lions left then I counted up over fifteen different sets of tracks and remembered a half a dozen of those tracks were toms.....then I shut my mouth and quit complaining...........

One of the best times of the year is coming, and that's when the snow is gone and the dirt rises.........and ol' Ike will be hunting most every weekend from here on out!

Best Regards,
ike

Fstop, I also missed the Sat. show, is the video going to be posted to the website?

I'm probably blind, I see your stories but not video? I can't read so I need moving pictures.....

I apologize,
The video hasn't been uploaded yet, like I had previously thought! Just talked to my IT gal and she will try and get it first thing in the morning. fstop

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom