The Draw??

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Are we better off than we were or is it we were never very well off to begin with?

I put in for Antelope, Elk, And Sheep every year since the beginning, now have max points, and have only drawn a antelope tag in '87.

As it is now with 40 tags in my choice of Elk area and over 400 plus max point applicants = it might take 100 years for me to draw.

Sheep is worse, about 220 years!

Antelope looks like the best deal going with 40 tags and only 600 max point app's, might get drawn in as soon as 15 years.

Yes, these numbers are rounded off and can be looked at several different ways but certainly i can't look at it like my "glass is half full". Lousy odds but we are supporting the various programs for these animals and any chance at all of hunting them is better than no chance or hunt at all...

Your thoughts welcome!!

Joey

The number of max point applicants is dropping above the number of people being drawn (roughly double). For the Marble Mountain hunt, with 30 tags given to max point applicants, last year there was 443 max point applicants. It would take 14 years to guarantee you a tag if the number of applicants stayed the same (which it won't). People will get drawn and others will drop out. I predict you get that tag in less than 10 years.

Joe

I started playing the game in '91
In '92 I drew Surprise Valley Antelope.
From then until the preference point system, I'd drawn G6 as a 2nd choice and X3B archery as a 3rd.
Since the point system, I drew M3 the 2nd year into it, and an East Park Reservoir Bull in '06

So, I've had good luck with both the Old and the New draw.
I prefer the old draw.

Preference points really are unfair to those not first in the top rung of the Ponzi pyramid scam. No one should feel drawing a desert sheep or tule elk is a right. If you are one of the lucky few, it's cool, but most will never draw.

As far as G3 or that type of deer hunt, it's still a deer hunt. And you can pick one that rotates over more often or hunt A, B, C, or D during the wait. Your choice to wait.

I honestly think random draw is fairest for hunts that don't roll over in a reasonable period of time. And for deer I liked the old way, first available of three choices, no points. How good your tag was dependent on the luck of the draw. Cool by me.

TuleElk, Somehow when i figured 40 tags and 400 people, i got 100 years. Ouch! :) My mistake, 10 years or sooner wouldn't be so bad. Sounds a lot better that way, plus, I like the way you're thinken!!

Glass_eye, I need to hang around you bud, Do you have a rabbits foot, lucky penny, or Blarney Stone that you wish on? Not bad i'd say but could always be better, aya!

ElmerFudd, You too are right in that if you missed the boat on the first draw, slim pickens for a lot of the hunts, especially those with more than two tags offered. I agree, i agree, i agree. Your whole post makes perfect sense to me! :)

All good points and comments! Before or if we change anything though, lets you guys and me draw out first, eh? :)

Joey

Ca is about luck......PERIOD!
your lucky... screw the odds I say
think god Utah opened up all big game for pts!
outta state you have to play the game and buy points every years...
you can't ever count on drawing elk, rams, antelope in ca!
I've been lucky enough to draw an Ca elk and antelope tag over the last few yrs and my son drew last years apprentace antelope..
the funny thing is I feel I'll draw both again here before am done hunting...!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

The first year of PPs my county was out of adult huntin licenses 6 days before the deadline. Sage, I heard they were availible on Main st. of your Burg but chose not to make the drive. Anyways, I applied my son as i could get a junior license. Since I've been behind the curve ever since, I don't get excited about Kali. (my fault for waiting)

I had 4 points and my wife one for deer this year. I didn't even apply, partially because of other hunts and partially because I can't bet excited about anything except NE elk and Lassen antelope and those are such longshots a point won't matter. I do regret not applying my stepson for a great/easy to draw youth hunt I know about.

On an upside, I saw a good buck in X6A this weekend while cutting wood. About 24", 4X4, still lots of growth left. Nice 6A buck.

Rather play in Wy, Nv, Co, NM, Ut, Id, or even Ore.

My buddy called me last night and told me his wife drew a Sheep tag for the Kelso Ol Gran Dads. Here is the kicker, she only had 5pts, now I put in for that same unit and I have max points and so did her husband. I don't get it???????????????????????

Other than I know I'm one unlucky SOB........

Slide

LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...LUCK!!!...

That's all the Ca draw is about. Example: My dad and I have been putting in for Antelope as far back as I can remember and have never been drawn. In this same time period I know several guys that have been drawn multiple times..WTF!!!! It doesn't matter how many PP you have, it's all about LUCK.

PS... I also loose every time I go to Vegas. At least in Vegas I have some hot chick serving me drinks.

Slide
That hunt has 6 tags, 5 go to max point and 1 goes to random draw. Random draw means anybody can draw it regardless of points.
In '05 I had a brain fart and missed the application deadline. That put me one point behind max for elk and sheep. The following year I applied for an elk hunt that had a SINGLE bull tag. I drew it.
1 tag = Random Draw
2 tags = 1 for max + 1 for random
3 tags = 2 for max + 1 for random
4 tags or more = 75% max + 25% random

Don't miss understand me, I'm very happy for her and him they are very good freinds and you are correct about the one tag I forgot about that. Maybe what I need to do is miss a year and then apply the following year, I'm starting to see a pattern develop here JK.

My friend asked me to go with them and I told him if I had enough time to burn at work I would go. I'm really hoping to go, I have always wanted to get a sheep in fact that is my dream and it would be neat to at least be a part of a sheep hunt.

I'm still a lil upset abouot not getting a C tag as my second choice.

Slide

I'm a little upset that I applied for the Orocopia hunt and now I've been told that there was never a tag issued. The same thing happened a few years ago when I put my son down for a jr tule elk hunt at FHL and then they scrapped the hunt.
I guess I need to wait longer before applying to see if the "proposed" hunts will be confirmed.

glass_eye really?
I mean do you really have a glass eye!
if you put in for a hunt thats removed from the draw should'nt dfg call you?

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

>glass_eye really?
>I mean do you really have
>a glass eye!
>if you put in for a
>hunt thats removed from the
>draw should'nt dfg call you?
>
>
>
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

>
>rackmaster
I don't have "a" glass eye, I have dozens of glass eyes. All shapes, sizes and colors and species.
Yeah, you would think that if a proposed hunt is scrapped and they've already recieved applications, that they would ask you to choose a different hunt.

Just read it was a elk hunt, I do not recall any jr hunt being canceled at FHL. Let me know the year and I will look it up.

Joe

Joe
I'm at my shop and I've got the prior years of Tracks at home but I'll look it up tonight. It was a few years ago.
As to the sheep hunt. My bad, I'm getting old and brain farts are becoming more frequent. I just re-read the '09 Digest and it states Hunt 504 Orocopia 2008 tags; 1. 2009 tag quota; 0

I wonder if I'll get a bonus point for applying on a "0" tag quota hunt.
Maybe this means that next year I'll draw a sheep tag !

I feel the bonus system that Nevada has is a better opportunity for all. I cant complain. Since this preference points started between my 2 sons and I we have drawn 2 grizzly island elk tags, one being the bull tag and one the spike tag.2 antelope tags,and a couple X zone tags. For the preminum hunts forget it. We have had better luck drawing tags in Nevada with the bonus points. Once you draw out in Cali you go back to zero and the chance of obtaining tags are greatly reduced. But one thing the preference point system does is to make sure everyone gets to hunt. But it might be just once and thats it.

"Hi Joey,
My advise is to take you vitamins and workout so you live another 200 years."

You think it would work? :) I do want that sheep tag! Always have always will!

That's some good advice Larry! I should be doing more than i do. Tomorrow AM is the Wy draw. Probably to little too late but if i do draw, i'm gonna flat wear out a couple pair of boots getting ready!

Slide, sorry to hear you didn't draw a C second choice. Sucks living right there and it's better than no tag. I've talked to 4 guys i know that also missed second pick here. In fact so far, i'm the only one i know that did.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Joey

>Just read it was a elk
>hunt, I do not recall
>any jr hunt being canceled
>at FHL. Let me
>know the year and I
>will look it up.
>
>Joe
My son was a jr but I may have put him down for a general hunt.
Or maybe I'm mistaken about this hunt also. Now I'm doubting myself. I screwed up before, it wasn't the first time and probably won't be the last. I looked at Tracks going back to 2003 when he was 12 and I can't see anything wrong.

Breck

Joey, my wife drew a C as her second choice so she at least picked up a point,,,,, I on the otherhand being the genius that i am opted to just get a C otc as my first choice and no points ,,,,, which sucks but hey thats what i chose to do ,,, next year i'm building points again guess luck does help ,,, hopefully i can get a point and a C as my second choice next year

tylercreek, thanks for the info. I knew there had to be other second choice C recipients, just hadn't heard of any yet.

Next year? Who knows what they plan to do next season with C. They almost went X type zone, along with a few other really high demand D zone units, on us this season. I don't believe C is in the same situation as some of them others but change is in the air!

Joey

Kinda agree and disagree here. You are correct about it being more luck and not a right. What isn't fair is that when someone has been sending in application fees and supporting DFG for 20 years or so and they have the exact same odds as a first timer. Realize this really applies to one tag hunts but that's how they dole out the Tule bulls on the choice hunts mostly. Why not two hunter's in the same time period and give the preference points a chance? Sure wish my 20 California should be points were in Colorado instead and I'd have the elk hunt of a lifetime( I do have 13 there).As for deer I've hunted my zone 1992 2000 and 2007 so seems worse than my luck for premium hunts in other states. Can always get those over the counter tags in the middle D zones but damn 8%/9% success? My math says a deer every 12 years is the average. Some guys beat that, my buddy kills two every year and some good bucks. I feel that the modified system we have dilutes the results. When max points guys draw they are done and start at 0. You are then behind the guys that were behind you. Seems fair. And some of you know I've had luck with the good 2007 X 3x3 and the 2008 sheep so I can't complain, I'll whine a little about no speed goat for 25 years and when will i get my tule bull??? nugentfan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom