The real March Madness

Bergen Catholic is my alma mater.

Nick Suriano, MICHIGAN, B.C. 2013, 4x State Champion, 159-0 career record.
Shane Griffith, STANFORD, B.C. 2018, 4x State finalist, 3x State Champion.
CHRIS Foca, CORNELL, B.C. 2019, 2x State finalist, 1x State Champion.
JACOB CARDEÑAS, CORNELL, B.C. 2019, 2x State Champion.
JOE Zargo, WISCONSIN, B.C. 2020, State Place-winner.
DYLAN Cedeno, VIRGINIA, B.C. 2020, State runner-up.

1647549223558.png

I’m watching and loving it! Some pretty crazy upsets already-149 lb national champ from UNC lost at 157 and Eierman from Iowa losing at 141 in OT.
Good stuff so far!!

Seeds are just a number, you’ve got to do it on the mat every match. Love the drama and the upsets. Steveson is unreal ! ?

Last edited:
Suriano is a beast, can make good wrestlers look bad. With Lee gone, he should win it..Love the dominant wrestlers, but really enjoy the drama and the upsets.?

I thought there might be a little more interest in this years Championship. There’s been a lot of good matches and story lines. Penn State’s big dogs continue to deliver. I thought Gator might chime in. Looking forward to the Finals.?

Still too soon for me. After spending 14 years in gyms with screaming kids and whistles, I have flashbacks. But I was all-in there for a while.

Nick Suriano, MICHIGAN, B.C. 2013, 4x State Champion, 159-0 career record & Shane Griffith, STANFORD, B.C. 2018, 4x State finalist, 3x State Champion both move to the finals.

From the Bergen Catholic Sports page on facebook:

"IRON" Nick Suriano, a MICHIGAN WOLVERINE, and Bergen Catholic Class of 2016, is now a 3x N.C.A.A. wrestling All-American, and finalist at 125 lbs. Nick won his semifinal by 4-1 decision over 2021 finalist, BRANDON COURTNEY of Arizona State.

His opponent in tomorrow's finals will be PATRICK GLORY of Princeton. Patrick won his semifinal over longtime Suriano rival VITALY ARAJAU of Cornell by 10-5 decision. Patrick avenged an E.I.W.A. finals loss to Vitaly, a 19-6 major decision. Patrick is now a 2x All-American.

TWIST: This will mean a lot to our New Jersey wrestling faithful. It will be the 1st ever BERGEN CATHOLIC/DELBARTON N.C.A.A. final. NICK, as mentioned, is a former-Crusader. PATRICK is a former-Green Wave, Delbarton Class of 2018.

Been out of pocket so I haven't seen any of the NCCA.
You guys should check out my hunting partner Wayne Branstetter for Poway High school.

What Cael Sanderson has done as a wrestler and coach is unbelievable - he is the GOAT of the sport of wrestling without any debate in my view.
I’m a huge fan of Cael, and I’m awed by his career so far. There was this guy named Dan Gable that had a pretty impressive career. Many would consider that he would be in the DEBATE of GOAT of American Wrestling.

I’m a huge fan of Cael, and I’m awed by his career so far. There was this guy named Dan Gable that had a pretty impressive career. Many would consider that he would be in the DEBATE of GOAT of American Wrestling.
I remember watching Gable when he was in the Olympics sometime in the '70s.

Totally agree that Dan Gable is on the Mt Rushmore for wresting no doubt, but he had a loss. Cael was 159-0 in college and that doesn’t even take into account the unbelievable coaching career he has had already, and it seems he is just getting started. 5/5 champions yesterday ?

Of course there can be some debate and other opinions on this, but I am ok with other opinions being wrong ? Cael Sanderson is the GOAT and legends like Gable would probably say so as well deep down.

I see Cohlton Schultz was runnerup in Heavy’s. He’s the same age as my youngest so I got to watch him become a 4-timer at the State tournaments. If I remember right, he was undefeated in HS.

Just looked it up. His HS record was 188-2.

Wow! This was such a great weekend of wrestling. I am pretty sure my wife is hooked now too. She could not hold still! Maybe because our son started with a little club team this year she is more interested. That or she was just trying to get me to sleep with her. Either way wrestling is going to be in our family for a long time! Wrestling is by far my favorite sport. I have coached high school for 7 or 8 years and I love it more every year. Watching the high level college wrestlers is amazing. They are going for takedowns no matter where they are and they can always keep a toe in! These guys are the best and they are beating the best. Those finals matches show just why you should never give up! I could talk about wrestling for days. Is that 10 team championships for Penn State with Cael now? What a legend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom