Thoughts on 21A

passthrough

Just wondering what everyone thought about 21A for archery elk? I hunted it about 5 or 6 years ago and got into some elk but they were few and far between. Just wondering if the numbers are up or still the same. Has any one hunted it in the last two years?

It's just a small area and if the cows aren't there it's just a tough tough hunt.Private ranchs' border the unit and elk have been known to get into the ranchs as they have great grass during the September time. For deer I would tell you it's a pretty good unit. I have two friends that just finished up a January bow hunt and they both got "plenty " of shooting oppertunities , if they could just shoot as good as their bows lol. Elk can be tough but there may be others that can lend a more positive hand on the unit, but I feel you can do just way better without having to deal with the odds of the 16s'.

I hunted 21A for elk in the rifle season in 2006. The bulls were few and far between and you have to hunt hard. We did harvest a couple of nice bulls though.

talk to lionking, I think he drew one of leftover muzzleloader deer hunting last year..maybe he saw some elk or not...

heard it is very very tough hunt in last 2 or 3 years due drought..now maybe it is improving with our mostiures...good luck with your thought..

vinihunt

21A has been pretty dry the past couple of years but got pretty good rain in the North end of the unit this past summer. Archery elk was tough this year as the elk were moving around a lot and had the ability to do so due to every tank in the region seemingly full of water...There are some hogs in the remote reaches of public land as well as some old bulls that are absolute monsters on private. Unfortunately some of these monsters will never leave their private sanctuaries as they know where the safety is....The elk in the lower reaches move between private and public pretty well during archery season provided there is good rain. But, with drought, locate elk and then the water they are hitting. Ran into a few guys who sat water for the season and never saw an elk. Couple of my buddies found public land elk, found their waterin' holes and arrowed some respectable bulls. Haven't noticed any change in numbers, but as with anywhere in this region, getting off the beaten four wheeler path will get you into elk. Know your private land boundaries in the 21s as there are some huge ranches that aren't well posted but are well patrolled....

There was running water and lots of grass, acorns, etc. I was down there in November and hiked near Chloride. No elk, but some deer. Tough unit, but can be good. Alot of hound hunters that weekend.

Passthrough, here is the pic of the poached 21A bull I told you about...
AGarciasPocahedBullwithtagattacheda.jpg

I have been able to spend some time in the 21 hunting deer. I have seen elk on every outing. I found one bull that was busted up pretty bad but he was gigantic!! This was in Jan. Bow hunt 2 years ago. We went out on the left over tags for the muzzleloader this past year and seen som elk working it just outside of Winston. The bull was a 6x6, but of couse it was on private land.
With the amount of tags available and private land (unless you know private landowners)I would definately put in for a different unit. it is a tough unit to hunt put there are some areas that I could see elk hiding out.
Good luck
lionking

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom