Thoughts?

fly out.PNG

I would be pretty pissed if your hippityclopter flew up the canyon I was hunting so your (the hypothetical your) lazy azz didn’t have to pack your elk out. That crap gets me thinking tune ups.

They fly the helicopters here for population surveys. I upsets the animals for days.

Here in SD where I archery hunt for mule deer, the national guard flies training sessions with two medivac helicopters the first weekend of every month. They practice picking up a big tractor tire and they fly low up and down every valley as part of the training. It gets VERY frustrating having them come in during prime time usually about right after the deer bed for the day and we can begin stalks. We have had numerous stalks blown and they usually end up pushing the deer off onto private land. A couple times they have even flown night training with big spotlights. Nothing you can do about it since it is public land.

Seen this the other day and thought that must be nice, I’m wondering if this is a private land hunt that is a big operation to have access to a helicopter.

I'm not sure how the law applies to this on public ground, but it should be illegal as far as I'm concerned. at some point hunting needs to require some effort. let some lazy fat azz shoot a bull across a canyon 1000 yards away and then call in air support for recovery isn't my idea of what hunting should amount to.

I just posted it to see what the rest of your opinions are.... Personally I think should be illegal as all hell !
Not liking something and wanting it to be illegal are two different things. I fully understand not liking it but what real justification is there to make it illegal? If the animal is already reduced to take, what is the justification for limiting how it is retrieved, transported, etc?

The only caveat I see is if there are pre-existing airspace restrictions. Other than that, it's pretty hard to legislate against retrieval by any means.

I personally prefer this to horse and mule trains that cause a helluva lot more impact and annoyance but seem to be the perfectly accepted means of people avoiding carrying their own meat out of the woods. -----SS

I'm not sure how the law applies to this on public ground, but it should be illegal as far as I'm concerned. at some point hunting needs to require some effort. let some lazy fat azz shoot a bull across a canyon 1000 yards away and then call in air support for recovery isn't my idea of what hunting should amount to.
What’s the difference between this and the fat guy with 40 helpers? I don’t like either.

I don’t think it should be illegal. I do think some amount of situational awareness would be important though. I can say that I would have probably gave my left nut for a helicopter, for a couple elk.

I could probably own a helicopter if I didn't fish and hunt! :)

Regarding public land, I think an aircraft can only land on a designated runway. It's similar to how most public land requires vehicles to stay on established roads/trails.

I think most people against it haven't packed out very many elk or haven't packed em out very far in nasty stuff

I doubt that extraction was legal…..but it certainly depends in what state it took place....

Last edited:
I could probably own a helicopter if I didn't fish and hunt! :)

Regarding public land, I think an aircraft can only land on a designated runway. It's similar to how most public land requires vehicles to stay on established roads/trails.
Not necessarily. When we were doing SAR training runs, we routinely use public land.

Pretty gross. Another black eye for outsiders looking at hunting. Assholes are taking over hunting. Really sad for those of us that had true traditions of hunting handed down to us. I wish the internet never happened, and I wish hunting never turned into “the cool in thing” for rich people. Money is shitting all over hunting these days.

...from Nv regulations........so must not be in Nv

1. It is unlawful to use a helicopter to transport game, hunters or hunting equipment, except when: (a) The cargo or passengers, or both, are loaded and unloaded at airports, airplane landing fields or heliports, which have been established by a department or agency of the Federal or State Government or by a county or municipal government and which are accessible by a public road; or (b) The loading or unloading is done in the course of an emergency or search and rescue operation.

wrong.... i am looking at it from the view of all the other hunters in the area who just had their hunt ruined by some rich lazy ass clown who paid a helicopter to get his bull
No different then people riding 4 wheelers and driving trucks around where other people are trying to hunt

Is this really any different than driving a truck or ATV out to the kill site to retrieve an animal? Yes it disturbs things in that area but driving a motorized vehicle also spooks game along the entire path of travel. But many people seem to think that is ok?

Don't get me wrong, I have backpacked out EVERY elk I or my family has ever harvested. This helicopter is probably less of an impact than all the a$$clowns that drive trucks and ATV's all over the place.

Or what about the guys that are getting dropped into landlocked public areas? This technique is even getting into TV shows but nobody is bashing that.

Is this really any different than driving a truck or ATV out to the kill site to retrieve an animal? Yes it disturbs things in that area but driving a motorized vehicle also spooks game along the entire path of travel. But many people seem to think that is ok?

Don't get me wrong, I have backpacked out EVERY elk I or my family has ever harvested. This helicopter is probably less of an impact than all the a$$clowns that drive trucks and ATV's all over the place.

Or what about the guys that are getting dropped into landlocked public areas? This technique is even getting into TV shows but nobody is bashing that.
True, I guess we all assumed this would be taking place in a roadless area or wilderness area

0% chance I’m comparing an atv or truck to a helicopter while hunting. I can’t believe the **** that grown men are convincing themselves of these days. Most of us apparently need rules and laws to tell us right from wrong. I constantly hear “it’s legal” or “there’s no rule against it”. Absolutely pathetic what the average man has become.

0% chance I’m comparing an atv or truck to a helicopter while hunting. I can’t believe the **** that grown men are convincing themselves of these days. Most of us apparently need rules and laws to tell us right from wrong. I constantly hear “it’s legal” or “there’s no rule against it”. Absolutely pathetic what the average man has become.
Sammy said it years ago.
Money talks and us average joes walk.

We could start a whole new thread about what a lot of hunters have become. I've said it for years now, hunters are going to cause the demise of hunting. I somehow manage to cross paths with just enough people in the woods every year that help to solidify my thoughts on this. It's pathetic and sad.

I don't disagree. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when ATV's first started showing up. Everyone complained about them and how they were going to ruin hunting and the hunting experience. Now we look at them no differently than high tech clothing or high power spotting scopes or long range rifle systems. If you look at the interstates during hunting season you would think that an ATV is REQUIRED for anyone to go hunting!
Don't get me wrong - I am a hard core "foot hunter". Heck, I don't don't own an ATV and don't even like horses as I think they are an unfair advantage just like an ATV. My point is that our ethics and values change as the world around us changes with technology.

Read my post #12 if you think I'm promoting helicopters as an acceptable method for hunting or retrieving game.

Can you imagine what our grandfathers and great grandfathers would think of us based on what they had available and how they hunted? they would be turning over in their graves!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom