Thousand Lake Deer

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I have a lifetime license and have heard that thousand lakes is nearly impossible to draw on the general rifle unless you have a lifetime license or a couple of points. I am putting in there next year. I know it us to be LE. Do you guys think it is still pretty good or has it become over hunted? Just curious, thanks.

We hunted it last year. Its just another general season area with an exception to a few more bucks, but not much! We saw 1 buck the night before the opener, saw him again the day of the rifle hunt and we killed it. 22" 4x4, tall good mass. I expected to see more deer while there, but we did not see that much at all. Saw more on the Fishlake side of the road.

I had one deer come into my shop from the muzzy season that scored 202. If I had a lot of free time to scout I would put in for there

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

I think the owner posted it on here within the last couple of weeks on one of the threads on the site.

While on the rifle hunt we did see a TON of people!!! But where we were, we only saw just 1 guy. We talked to him and he did say that on the archery hunt and the muzzy hunt they saw a buck that they thought would go 200, but never saw him on the rifle hunt. I bet this is the buck that people have mentioned that was 202. Very pretty area. I would like to hunt that again with more time also. But its going to be just like any other general deer tag, with an occasional big boy.

From the sounds of it, it will go down hill fast so get in quick, But you could be too late already.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

RE: Thousand Lake train wreck

This unit has been a UDWR debacle for a long time. Ok lets review some UDWR facts. Several years ago there were 40 tags given out LE divided between the three hunts. The following year 400 tags (general public) given out "but" you will only draw out if you are a life time tag holder or a dedicated hunter? And now 200 tags given out. So 40 then 400 then 200. WTF that's a pretty big difference between the years. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Is this helping this unit become better? Why Why Why!! Here's a bit of info that you might not be aware of just FYI. This unit is crawling with coyote. If you spend any amount of extended time here you will see for yourself. I'm not sure if there have been coyote control measures taken here but it sure needs it. Also, right before the hunt starts Baker ranch will release hundreds if not thousands of cattle on this unit, so if you didn't think it was tough enough to find a nice buck it will be now. If you have any amount of scouting time here, it will almost be useless because the deer will change their patterns up with all the cattle..

RE: Thousand Lake train wreck

I hunted this last year and saw a few nice deer, but not big enough for me to shoot. The unit has been getting hit hard with poaching I've heard. Thus unit used to have some of the biggest bucks out there for a LE. I shot a bruiser 5x6 in 2002. I did see a huge buck in the cedars down low headed to the corals...

I think it's a good unit, because its all public land, but I would rather hunt Pineview dedicated.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom