Ticks

elkboy32

I have been having a terrible time with ticks this spring. I pulled about 6 off myself during shed season, and a bunch of the little crawlers during bear season. The bear I shot last weekend, I would estimate, had around 80 ticks on him. Any others dealing with a bigger population of ticks then usual, or did I just get lucky!

its been horrible in sw wy this spring! dam things are everywhere this year.
hornkiller.jpg

I saw posted somewhere, to use one of those rolling, tape like lint removing devises to pick them off of your clothing. It gets those little ones, that are impossible to even see. I thought it looked like a good idea, and it showed a half dozen or so, that it picked up.

I read an article where the mild winter was going to make it a bad year for ticks. It said not having a long and cold enough freeze to kill many ticks/eggs is the reason.

I don't know if worse or not. Two of us had over fifteen on us on one road in about one hour. Of course we have called that road tick road north for about four years now. It kind of over took the original tick road of about 9 years ago.

Bear hunting in Idaho is great fun, but always dealing with the ticks. Anymore we just flip them off and continue on our way. Do a tick check before entering the truck and each night before bed and a good tick check every other day at the state park showers.

Don't think much about them anymore. Just hunt and enjoy the outdoors. They are just a minor problem anymore that we do not worry to much about anymore.

I have been here in North Dakota for 4 years and spring turkey hunting is miserable there are so many. The last day I was only out 3 hours and had over 40 on me when got back to truck. I even used some anti spray this year to no avail. Allmost not worth hunting. This year was worse here too I think....BULL!

A few years back we experienced the worst tick season that I can remember. I took a ten-minute walk through the long grass and I would guess that there were forty ticks streaming up my pants when I got back to the truck. My dog was covered with them. I bought some Duranon tick repellent and haven't been bothered by them since. Every once in a while I will find one on a stem and just put it on my pants to watch the reaction and it's damn near enough to me laugh--its like they were put on a hot stove--they absolutely hate the stuff.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-15 AT 10:37AM (MST)[p]Over the years I've found that permethrin is about the most effective tick medicine there is. It doesn't only repel them, it kills them on contact. Walmart, Amazon, etc. all carry some version of it in both aerosol and pump spray form.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

NVB making & Starring his 1st Video when He was a little younger:

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom