Time for 4th Gunny Basin Hunts?

Kayak_to_hunt

I saw the CPW is saying the "preferred alternative" is to bring back 4th buck hunts in the basin.

I am not a huge fan of the idea and would like to see them wait a few years but I am not sitting on a lot of points.

How do the rest of you guys feel?

Knew it would happen when they went back to doe hunts in the southern units. It doesn't really hurt anything with as few tags as they'll issue and alleviates some point bottlenecking towards the top. I expect a fit to be thrown about it though.

I do not think they should have every cut the tags. I believe that they should offer 4th hunts on a very limited basis in all units. If a unit can not handle 4 to 5 bucks being taken late then there are bigger problems. They should cut all antler less tags until the units are 10% above objective. This would help bring herds back.

I sure hope they bring the 4 th back and would like to see more options with very limited tags!

Its time. There is no Biological reason to have a forth?There is no Biological reason NOT to have one.
5, 10, or 15 tags won't matter. (20, well then we will riot!) When we had it, bigger bucks were killed during archery, muzzle and second and third seasons.

I like it, it gets the double digit point guys out of third so you can draw third with 8 or so.

It will be a low hunter density QUALITY deer hunt worth 14 or more points.

>Its time. There is no
>Biological reason to have a
>forth?There is no Biological reason
>NOT to have one.
>5, 10, or 15 tags won't
>matter. (20, well then
>we will riot!)
> When we had
>it, bigger bucks were killed
>during archery, muzzle and second
>and third seasons.
>
>I like it, it gets the
>double digit point guys out
>of third so you can
>draw third with 8 or
>so.
>
>It will be a low hunter
>density QUALITY deer hunt worth
>14 or more points.

Funny we actually agree on this... I wonnder what the rate of PP accumulation was like over the last couple of years due to the lack of 4th season tags. I know some unit I watch all jumped a lot in the last couple years. I felt it was due mainly to the lack of options for top point holders.

And since the herds can handle it, gov tag dates will go back to 2007 status. On a serious note, it'll be a quality hunt in a cpl years when that gap in age classes from the winter kill cycles out.

I really don't have much of an opinion, if it is only a couple tags per unit I don't see how it will affect overall numbers. The only thing I see is guys looking for true monsters 220+ may not like it if the big bucks haven't returned yet.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Wait a second, wait a second. Are you kidding me? 4th season buck hunts in the Gunnison Basin? So that the few 150 to 165 inch bucks that didn't get killed in the previous seasons can get harvested?

First of all talk to any local including myself or any outfitter that operate within the Basin. Read our lips the Deer herds have not recovered from pre 2008 levels. Stop talking about 4th seasons and start talking about a moratorium on deer hunting in the Basin.
EHJ and HF get no credibility if they are "pushing" these units,(which they foolishly do).

Shouldn't the inclusion of a 4th hunt mean that our wildlife managers have successfully brought herd numbers back? Shouldn't buck to doe ratios be outstanding? Shouldn't upper age class be prevalent? None of these standards are being met.

I noticed in the recaps recently that some non residents are burning up to 18 points to hunt these units! Stop this insanity. 20 year wait to kill a 160" deer? Here on MM you only gets reports back when a hunter lucks out and tags a nice buck, you never hear about dozens of unsuccessful hunters or hunters too embarrassed to post their shamefully small Gunnison Basin Deer.
Don't believe me? Call any outfitter in the basin and ask him if he can guarantee you an Opportunity at a 180" buck.
Solution to Problem: Our wildlife managers need to admit failure and start listening to people who have lived and hunted these units their whole lives.

>Wait a second, wait a second.
>Are you kidding me? 4th
>season buck hunts in the
>Gunnison Basin? So that the
>few 150 to 165 inch
>bucks that didn't get killed
>in the previous seasons can
>get harvested?
>
>First of all talk to any
>local including myself or any
>outfitter that operate within the
>Basin. Read our lips the
>Deer herds have not recovered
>from pre 2008 levels. Stop
>talking about 4th seasons and
>start talking about a moratorium
>on deer hunting in the
>Basin.
>EHJ and HF get no credibility
>if they are "pushing" these
>units,(which they foolishly do).
>
>Shouldn't the inclusion of a 4th
>hunt mean that our wildlife
>managers have successfully brought herd
>numbers back? Shouldn't buck to
>doe ratios be outstanding? Shouldn't
>upper age class be prevalent?
>None of these standards are
>being met.
>
>I noticed in the recaps recently
>that some non residents are
>burning up to 18 points
>to hunt these units! Stop
>this insanity. 20 year wait
>to kill a 160" deer?
>Here on MM you only
>gets reports back when a
>hunter lucks out and tags
>a nice buck, you never
>hear about dozens of unsuccessful
>hunters or hunters too embarrassed
>to post their shamefully small
>Gunnison Basin Deer.
> Don't believe me? Call any
>outfitter in the basin and
>ask him if he can
>guarantee you an Opportunity at
>a 180" buck.
>Solution to Problem: Our wildlife managers
>need to admit failure and
>start listening to people who
>have lived and hunted these
>units their whole lives.

Well then we should first tell all the outfitters that they are to no longer hunt deer. That would solve the issue. The herds may never reach the level that they were pre 2008. At least give people the chance to hunt. If needed cut back a few other tags. Sorry but a very limited 4th season hunt will not the reason that the deer herds can not recover.

Simply put taking 4-5 bucks in the 4th season will not be the reason the herd fails to recover.

I can not wait until my chance to go kill a 160 class buck in your unit. One of the big issues I always see is that since a person has grown up there etc. they are somehow entitled. Those are your deer after all... etc.

Hope they bring back a few tags!

Below is what the CPW has to say about it.

I agree that most folks who think they are going to be able to find a 180"+ even in a 4th season are kidding them selves. It seems lots of hunters are popping the 150" type bucks when they cant find something better. There are exceptions but for the points they are few and far between. For me if I spent 10+ points I would rather eat the tag and honestly would be embarrassed to come home with a 150 or 160 type buck in my truck..

If it does come back 14+ or - points is a lot to spend to find a 150" to 160" type buck and that will pry be the norm with a few exceptions on the 4th hunt.

Anyway here is the info from the CPW.

Should 4th season buck huntcodes be reinstated in the Gunnison Basin (GMU?s 54,
55, 551, 66, and 67)?

DISCUSSION (FACTS AND FIGURES, EXPLANATION OF ISSUE):
Wildlife managers eliminated 4th season buck hunt codes in the Gunnison Basin following the severe
winter of 2007-08; however mule deer populations have been increasing since that time. CPW manages
three separate mule deer populations in the Gunnison Basin: D-21 (GMU 54), D-22 (GMU?s 55 & 551),
and D-25 (GMU?s 66 & 67). Post-season 2013, all three DAU?s were at or above their established sex
ratio objectives of 35-40 bucks:100 does (D-21 39.8:100; D-22 41.6:100; D-25 41.4:100). Where there is
opportunity, managers will increase and/or adjust license allocation in order to achieve or maintain sex
ratio objectives. At this time there is clearly opportunity for limited 4th season buck hunting in the
Gunnison Basin, and history has shown that there is extremely high demand for those licenses. Not only
is 4th season buck hunting highly sought after, but it is also a tool for mitigating preference point
requirements during other seasons, particularly the 3rd rifle season. Any future license allocation would
be extremely conservative and used in concert with other hunt codes to maintain DAU plan sex ratio
objectives.

WHO ARE THE INTERNAL/EXTERNAL PUBLICS IN THIS ISSUE? WHAT INPUT PROCESS HAS
OCCURRED?

General discussion has been ongoing on this issue since the winter of 2007-08. There is internal and
external support for reinstating these huntcodes in the Gunnison Basin. However, some external
opposition exists from local constituents based on the perception that mature bucks are overly vulnerable
during the 4th season.

ALTERNATIVES: (POSSIBLE OUTCOMES or POSSIBLE REGULATIONS):
1. * Preferred Alternative *: Reinstate 4th season buck huntcodes in GMU?s 54, 55, 551, 66, & 67
for 2015. Hunt codes would include: DM054O4R, DM055O4R, DM551O4R, DM066O4R,
DM067O4R.
2. Status quo; no addition of 4th season buck hunt codes in the Gunnison Basin.

Issue Raised by: Brandon Diamond, Area 16
Author of the issue paper
(if different than person raising the
issue):

CC: Scott Wait, J Wenum, Chris Parmeter, Nick Gallowich,
Lucas Martin
APPROVED FOR FURTHER
CONSIDERATION BY:
PATT DORSEY
REQUIRES NEW SPACE IN THE BROCHURE? YES
ISSUE PAPER HAS BEEN EMAILED TO REG REVIEW MGRS GROUP? YES
RECOMMENDED FOR CONSENT AGENDA? NO

In my opinion, and I've hunted there from the year of the winter kill forward, most of those tag holders will be disappointed. There are not 200", 190" or even 180" bucks behind every bush. It is difficult to go out and find a legitimate 170 class buck. Granted, a very few big bucks get killed there every year - but that is true in almost all units in the state.
That being said, I do not think a handful of 4th season tags is going to have a material impact on what's going on there with the deer. I agree with the outfitter's assessment of the herd - if the recovery is measured against the quality of the deer herd prior to the big winter kill - it's just not there and may not be for many more years.

>
>Well then we should first tell
>all the outfitters that they
>are to no longer hunt
>deer. That would solve the
>issue. The herds may never
>reach the level that they
>were pre 2008. At least
>give people the chance to
>hunt. If needed cut back
>a few other tags. Sorry
>but a very limited 4th
>season hunt will not the
>reason that the deer herds
>can not recover.
>
>Simply put taking 4-5 bucks in
>the 4th season will not
>be the reason the herd
>fails to recover.
>
>I can not wait until my
>chance to go kill a
>160 class buck in your
>unit. One of the big
>issues I always see is
>that since a person has
>grown up there etc. they
>are somehow entitled. Those are
>your deer after all... etc.
>
>
>Hope they bring back a few
>tags!

96 you might be missing my point. Shouldn't a fourth hunt be a wildlife managers reward for doing a good job with their respective units? A pat on the back so to speak for sound wildlife management. You resent us because we live and hunt here, but we local sportsmen are the reason the Gunnison Basin has been as good as it has in the past. Gunnison Sportsmen initiated the efforts to bring about a 90% reduction in over the counter deer licences about 15 years ago (not the DOW). We fight the Division constantly over many issues in order to provide better deer, antelope and elk hunting for ALL hunters, not just us. We are the first line of defense against an agency that when not closely watched Will oftentimes do the wrong thing.
As for your comment about the outfitters needing to stop booking deer hunts, that in reality has already happened. I know of just 2 that still actively pursue deer.
And you are correct... I do feel entitled. Entitled to speak up when the people that WE all pay to manage our herds wisely do such a poor job.
If you are serious about hunting here PM me I know these units intimately and can point you in the right direction.

It'll never get to how it was before the winter kill and really it shouldn't. That absurd population helped in the severity of that winter kill.

Terrible idea.... The herd is no where close to being able to withstand a 4th season hunt. Gunnison DOW you piss me off. You have in no way shape or form taken the right steps in rebuilding our deer herd since 07/08. Increasing tags has not been the answer clearly. As someone who spends a large amount of time in the hills hunting and guiding in the gunnison basin the deer are not back to where they need to be there is no doubt about.

Coloradoboy

Well no offense to anyone, but I don't think any Gunni big game seasons should be decided on until after the winter. Unfortunately for the current draw system, after the winter in Gunni means May. Of course a killer winter, which we are about due for in the next couple years, will be pretty apparent before that. I saw a couple bucks this year worth taking, but I suck.

Half the problem is the herd counts are done while the animals are on the winter range. I know for a fact, that a healthy portion of the deer that winter in unit 54 are out of unit 53 yet the CPW counts them as resident deer and decides it justifies increasing tags... 55 is the same way, a healthy portion of the deer that winter there are out of the maroon bells (unit 43)

Coloradoboy

What is the deal with these units anyways? I've been hearing a fair amount of 160's for 4 years now. Your telling me 3/4 of these 160's are getting shot every year.... B.S. Where are the big bucks? There should be more than a few crankers in these units by now. A 180+ buck should be doable in these units for the guy who gets after it during any season, let alone a mid November tag. I don't see (5) 4th season tags making much of an impact on the herd. There has got to be more than 10 or 15 respectable bucks running around spreading their seed. Especially after this year, pending a harsh winter. That being said I would rather them give a few more archery tags (if they are going to increase things) then see them give some petting zoo 4th's. At least then they stand a chance and still give more opportunity, and they still get there $$. Happy, Happy, Happy!

I don't think that the 4 or 5 tags per unit will hurt the herds too bad but I also don't think it is gonna help a top heavy point system or point creep any either.

As for the herd, it will probably NEVER be what it was, at least under current management. Not that that is good or bad for the deer in the unit, my opinion is I would like to see it at at least close to pre winter kill levels, but I realize that might not be the best thing for the herd and may in fact be a selfish outlook.

We hunted 54 in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember, sucks to get older) and it was UNBELIEVABLE, deer everywhere, a Game Warden too me the buck to ratio was 60+/100! And the number of quality bucks we saw was hard to fathom as well.

We hunted again in 2011 and saw WAY LESS animals and the Warden who had told me about the ratio of bucks to does for our first hunt told me the 2011 ratio was near 20/100 I believe and said the herd was WAY healthier and would continue to be managed at or near the current number. He said browse was at unhealthy lows when the numbers were up, I don't know because I was too busy looking over 25+ bucks a day to look at the brush, but I will say the deer we killed that first trip were as healthy as any I have ever killed.

I killed a better buck in 2011 (185 with 4 or 5 inches of broken off points)than I did in 05 or 06 but it wasn't a better hunt, I killed the only nice deer we saw in 2011. In the earlier visit I mistakenly shot the wrong buck in a group of three killing a 165ish buck instead of a 185 to 190 typical that was with him which is still a little bit of a sore spot for me and my Dad shot a 160 buck on with two days left to hunt because he likes venison and we saw no reason to be concerned with herd health and he was very sick and had been almost the whole hunt (still not sure if it was altitude sickness or the flu).

I wanna go back but I know what the locals know in that it is not and probably never be what it was.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

You know that is the other thing that really pisses me off with the fish and game, biologist, or whoever. Who doesn't want lots of big mature bucks running around. Hell that's what we are hunting. Think about it the more mature bucks you have in the herd the more does your are going to have being breed by a mature stud buck, and having healthy stud fawns. Where I come from that's a good thing. Why the hell do you think people pay top dollar for their horse, or dog, or cow, or whatever to be breed by some mature stud critter. I'm so sick of hearing "oh you only need 10bucks/100does to do the breeding." Well chances are 9 out of those 10 bucks are dinks. Utah has been selling this crap to hunters for years. We hunt bucks, give us more mature bucks. Hunting was unreal in the Gunnison before the winter kill, how awesome was that. But the herd was unhealthy... B.S. not buying it. There hasn't been that much development in the Gunnison since the 70's and there was way more deer then. Of course you are going to have a devastating winter once in a blue moon, and that sucks, but that's no reason to keep your herd numbers on the low end for 15 years waiting for the harsh winter. might as well build it up while you can and let nature do its thing once every 15 or so years. It's the nature of the beast the strong will survive, but at least we will have an awesome mule deer herd in between hard winters. In my opinion the range in the Gunnison is awesome and could hold many more deer, especially bucks! Sorry just a rant, I have been hearing Utah's crap excuses to long and this feels a little to much like Utah. Which you Colorado guys want no part of. We have some of the best genetics anywhere, but the division won't give the deer a chance, hell they pat them self's on the back for having 18/100 ratio. Colorado would shut her down if that was the case. So I guess I should get off my high horse and give props to CO!

Just thought I would give a little info on the Gunnison Basin. Colorado Parks and Wildlife reduced tags after the winter of 07-08 to levels that were similar to the first year of limited licenses, 1999. Since that winter each year the tag numbers have increased slightly each year. Each year the buck to doe ratio increased as well. For the 2014 seasons the tag numbers were increased again but not by much, around 15-20 tags for each game management unit. The Gunnison Basin is being managed correctly, what was here before was very unhealthy for the landscape and mule deer in general. The Basin is not at its population objective yet but will be soon. Everybody would love to have what we did before the big winter, but thats not realistic. For those that hunted before the big winter, we got spoiled.

It takes a minimum of 7 years after a big winter to start seeing mature bucks again. We lost 2 possibly 3 generations of fawns from that big winter. Do the math, that means that the near future looks good, unless we get hammered this winter. The Gunnison Basin always has big deer, just have to know where to look. Each of these game management units are huge, lots of places for them to be. 10-15 fourth season tags will be good for point creep, it made a big difference for the guys applying for third season tags before.

Colorado overall still has the best mule deer hunting in the country. A slammer can come from any unit in the state.

Thanks for the discussion guys lots of interesting perspectives in here.

I would add that over the past 3-4 years we have lost another generation of was 160" and that would have been 180" deer here in 2015 - as that was what 90% of the hunters could find...

Tag allocation is interesting and why they give so many more tags in 54, 551, and 55 and so fewer tags in 66, 67 just sees weird? It seems that out of these units that 66, 67 are recovering far better as well as quicker..

Tomichi hit it on the head and as much as many of us would like to see a large number of old age class deer - the biologists manage for opportunity and heard management number objectives. They will say themselves that they dont manage for antler size and that is the measuring stick many of us are using to judge that a comeback has not yet happened.

As I said before I would like to see them hold off another year or 2 but in all likely hood I bet we see the 4th back for 2015. I am of the opinion that if they halved the total number of tags barring a extreme winter the comeback would be very soon but that is unlikely.

Unless we see a big winter and at this point I would say we are just above normal on snowfall over the area and nothing to extreme yet.

The reason for more tags in units 54, 55 & 551 is because these three units have a larger deer population and a more suitable mule deer habitat than 66 & 67. Units 66 & 67 did fair a little bit better during the winter of 07-08.

I agree we probably have lost another generation of deer since most guys end up harvesting the pretty 22 inch 4x4 instead of eating their tag.

I hunted 8 days in unit 67 this year during the 3rd rifle season. The deer population seemed to be very healthy. We saw lots of bucks every day, only problem was 99% of the bucks where really small young bucks. Only saw one buck that would go over 180. Not sure if giving out 5 4th season tags would make much of a difference. What they should do is cut back on the 2nd season tags.

Here's a picture of the buck i shot on the 8th day of the 9 day season

933220141107_164949.jpg

whip07 is on to something - in a perfect world they would cut the 2nd season tags by 2/3 two - three years in a row the age class would be back. That one simple change would do it.

Yea the 50's have more winter ground but far more deer who were on this ground were killed in 07 - 08. I also believe the point Coboy made is valid or a lot of deer migrate to the 50's units then get counted. Add in that the 50's basically have 3x the tags allocated when compared to the 60's and I can see why and how the 60's are recovering far better/faster.

I wonder how many 4th tags it will be.. 5 is the magic number where the NR gets a tag right and one would go to a LO. I would say 6 in 54, 8 in 55, 5 in 551, 5 in 66, 5 in 67..

That is very close to 30 total 4th season tags..

So this isn't my idea, but my buddy got me thinking..... Why doesn't CO have a late season archery hunt during the rut? Your 4th season thread begs the question. It seems like some dedicated hunters would burn points on that, but harvest rates would be.....? I'm sure other states with archery late season tags would show success rates, I just don't have time for the research right now.

I'll jump in hunted 54 3 yr's ago killed a 180 buck (3rd season)took friend's the next 2 yr's, one buck went 175 the other 180. This year took another buddy his buck went 182 saw 5 bucks between 180 and mid 190's.It seems to me it get's a little better every year will it every be like it was before the winter kill of 07 08 no the DOW will not let that happen. I was told they said they had to many deer and mother nature took care of that. So if your expecting to see the number's like the past forget it won't happen the Dow will manage it a lot different. The buck to doe ratio will never be as high as they were. Compared to a lot of other unit's in Co. 54 has some dam good deer hunting I know not like in the past but still dam good. Would 54 hurt because of a 4th season not as long as the number's were very limited. As for a late archery hunt not a bad idea I know I would consider it. All I know is 54 unlike a lot of the other units has a lot of deer. I know nothing like the past but still very good.

I hunted 54 2nd season this year and was hard pressed to find a lot of deer let alone a good buck. I had a few spotted prior to the season but couldn't turn them up. I ended up with a 180 buck but it was tough. I could have just as easy went home with tag soup. I then hunted with my brother on his 3rd season 67 tag and we saw tons of deer and lots of smaller 140-170 bucks but nothing over the 180 mark. I felt like there is way more winter range in 67 than in 54. I think that country could support a lot more deer/bucks than they say. It was some of the best looking lower country I have seen. 54 has a lot of good high country but it is huge which keeps some of those big bucks alive. There will always be some good bucks that make it through the season and a 4th season tag would help with the point creep. I don't think it would hurt anything. But why not at least get the buck:doe to at least the 40:100 range. 20:100 is just not worth the wait it takes for a tag like that.

It sounds to me from reading this that if you have a 3rd season tag and hunt hard a 180 buck is doable. The problem is that most guys don't want to wait for a 3rd season tag and don't want to hunt hard.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

ColoradoBoy, you mentioned that a healthy population of wintering deer in 54 actually come from 53. Question? Are some of the wintering deer in 53 actually come out of the 54 summering herd in 54? Seems like a stretch, but I was told that this one particular large buck would for the few years migrate down from 54 to 53. What do you think? Thanks

>ColoradoBoy, you mentioned that a healthy
>population of wintering deer in
>54 actually come from 53.
>Question? Are some of the
>wintering deer in 53 actually
>come out of the 54
>summering herd in 54? Seems
>like a stretch, but I
>was told that this
>one particular large buck would
>for the few years migrate
>down from 54 to 53.
>What do you think? Thanks
>
Not a stretch what so ever it's very easy for the deer in the north end of the unit to spill over into 53. I've just noticed in the winter months when I've been out calling Coyotes and looking for bucks that alot of the deer that live up on the mesa around Crawford and as far east as the top of Kebler pass around the Anthracite range bail off into the areas around blue mesa and the Ohio creek Valley.

Coloradoboy

Would be surprised what those deer will do. There are a few from 53 that are full time residents in the southern units now.

>It sounds to me from reading
>this that if you have
>a 3rd season tag and
>hunt hard a 180 buck
>is doable. The problem
>is that most guys don't
>want to wait for a
>3rd season tag and don't
>want to hunt hard.
>
>"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."
>

Wouldn't say how hard a person hunts will directly reflect what they kill. Some folks will walk their butts off and spend hours behind glass and never see the caliber of deer they want while others will shoot one walking through their camp or just ride around and find several 180 bucks without much effort. If you know the units and found those type of deer in the past in isolated areas then chances are you can duplicate it.

My dad had a tag for unit 55 3rd season this year. We hunted hard for the entire hunt and my Dad wanted to go home a couple of days early since the hunting was so slow. Hot weather and no rutting action. On the last day of the hunt at about 3pm we jumped a good buck and my Dad was able to shoot it so I guess all is well that ends well. It was a rough hunt but and we saw very few deer however, it might of been a lot better if the weather would of cooperated. I have enough points to draw this tag. I would like to hunt there since we got to know the area really well but I am not nearly as excited now that we have hunted it but my question is with 12 points I do not know what other great options there are for a 3rd season tag. I am sure there are some I just don't know what they are.

If I had 12 points no way I would spend them on a 3rd rifle hunt in 55. More as well as better bucks if you like the gunny basin are coming out of 66 or 67. Below are a few that in my book have a good chance to be a better hunt than a 55. I believe all units listed below could be drawn by a resident with 12 points.

Archery I think you can draw any unit in the state 2, 10, 201 will have almost o pressure. Well 201 might take more than 12 depending on the year.

Muzzy hunt in 10, 2, 201, 21, 30, 61, 76

High country with a rifle would be my choice or a hunt units 43, 24, 25, 26, 44, 45, 65, 74, 79, 82, 86, 444,

Or a 2nd rifle units 2, 10, 201, 21, 44

3rd units 30, 40, 44, 61, 66, 67, 551

4th units 3,4, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 23, 24 , 33, 34, 35, 43, 47, 53, 63, 64, 70, 71, 82, 83, 411, 441,

Plenty of other units to choose from..

Any guesses on how many points these are going to take to draw as a non resident? I've got 9 but do not think that it will be enough for one of these tags. REally want to cash in these points in Colorado soon though.

Also how is the new landowner draw going to impact the NR draw, I suspect it will take away tags, but I'm not sure how many.

I am guessing they will take at least 13 or 14 points. I have 11 and would love to draw 4th season but I don't think it will happen however it will probably make 3rd season easier to draw or at least slow the point creep.

Looking at the 2014 3rd season MINIMUM preference points to draw these units for non-residents:
Unit 54 - 7
Unit 55 - 9
Unit 66 - 13
Unit 67 - 12
Unit 201 - 18
Unit 551 - 6

I think you will need at least 4 more preference points in each unit to draw a 2015 4th season tag, and I might be underestimating.

I think the best way to look at the impact of the new landowner tag allocation is by using an example:

2014 - unit has 100 tags, landowners get 15% (15 tags), residents get 80% of remaining (68 tags), non-residents get 20% (17 tags).

2015 - unit has 100 tags, landowners get 20% (20 tags), residents get 80% of remaining (64 tags), non-residents get 20% (16 tags)

Appears that NR tags don't take as big of a hit as resident tag numbers.

From what I hear I'm inclined to think 4th season tags are not a great idea. but, if they're going to be issued a guy might as well look at them.

Chances are the 3rd season tags will get a bit easier to draw now. but if the older age class bucks aren't there will later dates make a big difference?

I have 17 NR points, might draw a 66 4th might not. bigger question is should a guy even try yet.

Stay thirsty my friends

Guess the change in landowner isn't going to hit us non residents as bad as I thought. I agree the 4th season tags will probably be out of my reach, I've got 9 points and want a good hunt where I've got a realistic chance at a 170 plus critter. Still researching other hunts in the state (61 2nd guided) or other 4th season options but the gunnison basin would be a sweet place to hunt for sure. I'm wondering if the 3rd season hunt will be a little easier to draw this year between the earlier season dates and the opening up of some more 4th season hunts.

My guess is points for 3rd season hunts will not go down much . . . If you go guided in 61, look at Garvey Bros. They hunt some good country and take some very nice deer. 61 is a good hunt to go guided if you can as bigger deer can be incredibly hard to find. I have no experience with their outfit other than good things I've heard and the proof on their website .. . Good luck.

The 20 percent that landowners is divided differently now. They get 20 percent total, but if the unit has PLO tags they get 10 percent of those and 10 percent unit wides for a total of 20 percent.

What I don't know is if there is no PLO hunt do they get all 20 percent out of the unit wide tags?

Rich

>The 20 percent that landowners is
>divided differently now. They get
>20 percent total, but if
>the unit has PLO tags
>they get 10 percent of
>those and 10 percent unit
>wides for a total of
>20 percent.

That is not accurate. It does not matter whether there are PLO licenses in a unit or not. Landowners will get one 10% allocation for unit-wide vouchers, and another 10% allocation from the unitwide quota that will be converted to PLO vouchers.

There was some specific discussion about how they would handle PLO hunt codes, and I don't recall the outcome. I think there will simply be a 20% allocation those quotas to landowners in the form of vouchers, but I may be mistaken.

I'll just post my musings for whatever they are worth.

I hunted the Gunnison Basin since 1988 till present for elk and once upon a time mule deer. My father adds another decade or so to my time there so we've seen the ebb and flows.

As we all know those units were just phenomenal until the blizzard of 07/08. I think alot of us realized it couldn't last and it didn't. Outside of weather patterns I think the biggest impact on mule deer there hasn't been over hunting, but encroachment on critical wintering grounds. Please don't get me wrong, I am a staunch believer in private property rights. I've just seen many swaths of winter ground slowly fill with housing and even if its a small impact on the deer, its still an impact. As others have mentioned as well, the management of our elk herds have had a negative impact as well, whether we realize it or not. I am an elk junkie, but I do miss the good days of mule deer in the basin.

Due to bad luck through no fault of our own, we were poised to draw a 3rd or 4th season buck tag in the fall of 2008. We all know what happened next. Now in 2015, we are once again ready to draw a Gunnison Basin tag albeit not in the Unit we know so well. The herds on that side of the basin have not rebounded as well as we had hoped.

Should there be 4th season tags? I'm not sure but I don't believe a handful is going to be detrimental to overall herd health.

What I do know is that for those that put the time in, or those that know the units well, is there is still a few great bucks running around. Provided we don't have any major blizzards I think that within the next 5 years we'll see a mini resurgence in quality that we all enjoyed in the early 2000's. Hopefully mother nature will hold off on more severe weather events.

I have hunted unit 55 for deer and by no means am i a great muley hunter but I hunted hard and seen some deer but nothing like 180 type deer! The one thing that did stick out to me was the lack of fawns compared to the does i seen! You got to have fawns before you get trophy bucks! Stress is the number one factor in growing big bucks! Sure there's a few big bucks around. I think you would've to be local and scout the unit hard to fine a trophy buck because there is very few!!!

I drew this tag... GMU66 4th... you guys sound like dream killers! I hope it works out better than previously stated. burned 19pts on this hunt!
Any constructive thought is appreciated. Hired a good local guide and hopefully el nino is on the way??? My dream hunt! I hope it works out...

You will have an awesome hunt. Best year since 06 for sure for big bucks. Colorado is going to have a very good year for trophy bucks.

>I drew this tag... GMU66 4th...
>you guys sound like dream
>killers! I hope it
>works out better than previously
>stated. burned 19pts on this
>hunt!
>Any constructive thought is appreciated. Hired
>a good local guide and
>hopefully el nino is on
>the way??? My dream hunt!
>I hope it works out...
>

Your tag has nothing to do with "Gunnison Basin" hunts. The deal there is the deer can't go low enough when bad winters hit so numbers can plummet. 66 is a completely different scenario. If you hired a decent guide, you shouldn't need any help from us! Good luck on your hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom