to ask or not to ask

T

trackndeer

This was on a other message board I an on and wanted to know what you all think. Is it a bad thing to ask people were they harvested there animals or not? I for one don't care but my answer may be I killed it in the central region. What do you think?

I think that it is a personal decision. If I were to scout out a trophy buck or an area that produces trophy animals I wouldn't tell the whole world. I've kicked myself in the butt a hundred times for telling people my favorite fishing hotspot or hunting honey hole and I still catch myself telling people too much info. Its just the way I am.(A bigmouth). I always tell myself that I'm not telling anybody but I always do. But I'm getting better.
I used to sink Christmass trees in ponds in Florida and nobody ever wanted to help. Boy it sure turned unproductive water into Bass havens. Then I would take one person with me and the next thing you know everybody knew about it. Thats it! Now I'm pissed off again. Hell no, I ain't tellin' nobody nothin' ever again.
(Sorry, kinda lost it there.) Fatrooster.

I'm new to this site and really enjoy it. The diversity of hunters and where they reside and hunt is what makes this site unique. While reading about all these great hunts the first thing I say to the threads "Where were you hunting?" I would like to at least know the state and possibly the area so I could visualize these stories in my mind better. So, I'll never have a problem asking where you've been and will always say where I've been to a certain extent.

I call local biologists and game wardens when going to a new area. I always ask what to look for, how to hunt, where they see the most success etc.... I don't expect anyone to tell me GPS coords or canyons, yet most of the folks will tell me good areas. Those areas may be a couple miles square or more. And thats all I'm after. I don't want to be hunting or wasting my time in an unproductive area and thats what I accomplish. I don't want your big staked out animal.(unless he accidentally wonders by me :)

I called a New Mexico biologist and asked the right questions. Specifically about 1-3 year old burns. Without his info I'd have been un aware of a good area. Turns out that area is covered by about 2-3 topo quads so its not a small area, yet I'd have never known to look there as I had not hunted that area in the past.

You can get general info and be in great shape. Follow that up with some good quads and aireal photos and scouting can be done ahead of time.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom