Too much time in the hills

bonedaddy

Who here has had a wife or a girlfriend that left them for spending too much time in the hills? I'm feeling that mine may be on the fritz. I'm probably just being a selfish #####, but maybe not. Anybody??

I'm pretty sure the reason my ex wife left me for another guy, was due to the fact that I spent way way to much time in the hills. But good ridance no skin off my nose.

ive never been married but i have lost three girlfriend during hunting season. i blame the dedicated hunter system. 7 months out of the year im great to them but from day one of archery til the last day of the rut they take a back seat. oh well maybe the next one will stick. and before you ask i do not want them to go hunting with me

Best way I found is to get them interested in the outdoors and the activities of going camping, hunting, fishing with you. They may not wish to hunt but at least they are involved and see you when your not on the mountain.

If you backpack into areas that may not work but if you hunt from a regular camp try it once in a while. When we do our main yearly hunt "out of State archery elk" the wives/girl friends usually stay home. In State we ask them along and they accompany us. They shoot both firearms as well as bows and fish while we hunt. We find places to hunt and camp that give them something to do and feel involved. Makes it a lot easier come hunting season...works for us. My sons future wife had never been around hunting/fishing. She now also goes with us and she has her own bow to target shoot in camp.

)))).....>

>Best way I found is to
>get them interested in the
>outdoors and the activities of
>going camping, hunting, fishing with
>you. They may not wish
>to hunt but at least
>they are involved and see
>you when your not on
>the mountain.
>
>If you backpack into areas that
>may not work but if
>you hunt from a regular
>camp try it once in
>a while. When we do
>our main yearly hunt "out
>of State archery elk" the
>wives/girl friends usually stay home.
>In State we ask them
>along and they accompany us.
>They shoot both firearms as
>well as bows and fish
>while we hunt. We find
>places to hunt and camp
>that give them something to
>do and feel involved. Makes
>it a lot easier come
>hunting season...works for us. My
>sons future wife had never
>been around hunting/fishing. She now
>also goes with us and
>she has her own bow
>to target shoot in camp.
>
>
>)))).....>
>

She is really into hunting and fishing etc, etc, etc. Problem is we have two small children: 1 and 3. Makes it almost impossible to get her out because we have no family close, and sitters are hard to come by for anything over two hours. So I just go do my thing and hope for the best.

Not to be a richard here and others may not agree... but if you have a 1 year old and a 3 year old... You belong at home. Not all the time but really, your kids/family should come first. Pay your dues, get them raised a little, and increase it a little more but if she can't go do what she wants, why should you? Life's a compromise and family really is. Anyone who doesn't agree is probably single, soon to be single, or leaving their door open to Sancho.

mod2.jpg

My kids all went hunting/camping with me from the time they were months old, weeks in the case of my youngest daughter she was born July 26 and went archery hunting in the end of august. Its not the same kind of hunting trip that one would take without them but it gets you out there even if opportunity is limited the benefits of raising your kids to love the outdoors is way more important.

By the way this was tent camping in 80 to 90 degree weather in archery season and early rifle in CA.

Bill

>Not to be a richard here
>and others may not agree...
>but if you have a
>1 year old and a
>3 year old... You belong
>at home. Not all the
>time but really, your kids/family
>should come first. Pay your
>dues, get them raised a
>little, and increase it a
>little more but if she
>can't go do what she
>wants, why should you? Life's
>a compromise and family really
>is. Anyone who doesn't agree
>is probably single, soon to
>be single, or leaving their
>door open to Sancho.

Good Advice/Post NVB! ;-)

>Not to be a richard here
>and others may not agree...
>but if you have a
>1 year old and a
>3 year old... You belong
>at home. Not all the
>time but really, your kids/family
>should come first. Pay your
>dues, get them raised a
>little, and increase it a
>little more but if she
>can't go do what she
>wants, why should you? Life's
>a compromise and family really
>is. Anyone who doesn't agree
>is probably single, soon to
>be single, or leaving their
>door open to Sancho.
>
>
>
>
mod2.jpg

100% agree!! I wouldn't "hope for the best". I would make sure there is some compromise. There isn't any buck in the world worth more than your kids!!

I hate hearing stuff like this but this is reality... My family has been with me on numerous outdoor excursions hunting, fishing, camping, shedding, mushrooming, and these have not come easy. As time went on we all learned how to get the job done and work together in order to succeed but success was not measured by the game pole but rather by the time spent with eachother and the memories earned and shared amongst eachother. This is also where I had to pick up something new since certain hunts were simply to difficult for them to participate so we started chasing rabbits, squirrels, antelope, and other simpler game. I have had my boys out in the outdoors since before they could walk or talk. Now this is not saying they went on every trip but I made certain they felt like I wanted them to be involved. I have seen first hand want happens if they are ignored and the outcome was not always pleasant. Now when I am outdoors hunting, fishing, or whatever it doesn't feel right if I am by myself without my family. I know there will come a day when I will have to learn to over come this emotional feeling of being without my boys as they grow into their lives but I will reflect upon the time spent and feel my heart warm reflecting upon the memories and smile. It takes commitment and a conscious effort but the rewards are immeasurable. Good luck...

All good advice. Need to get my ##### together. NVBighorn hit it on the nose. You're not being a richard. Nothing is more important than family. I had just had a fight about it when I wrote this, and I'm not great at being put in my place. I'm working on it. Compromise is everything. Thanks guys

>All good advice. Need to
>get my ##### together.
>NVBighorn hit it on the
>nose. You're not being
>a richard. Nothing is
>more important than family.
>I had just had a
>fight about it when I
>wrote this, and I'm not
>great at being put in
>my place. I'm working
>on it. Compromise is
>everything. Thanks guys

Sounds like you have a good attitude and the right mind set!!

Hope you have a great Christmas with your family!!

Sounds like the above posts have given you a good message.

Christmas is near...tell your significant partner/wife/girl friend what your new ideas are regarding time and family priorities. I guess what I am trying to say is DO NOT WAIT to talk to her until just before next hunting season or let her wait and see your actions next hunting season.

Start the road work now and have a Merry Christmas***

))))......>

Hunting and the selfish costs involved in hunting multiple states played a big part in the destruction of my first marriage.

My current wife of 20 years grew up in a deer hunting family.
We spent a lot of time hunting together in the mountains before my son was born.

She knew from day 1 who she was getting involved with.

As my son grew up a little and was able to tag along, my wife realized that the time that my son spent in the outdoors with me was going to be a huge positive in both of our lives.
That time in the outdoors has created a son that she is very, very proud of.

I am blessed to have a wife that allows me that.
I doubt I could find another.

HH

girlfriend season starts right after late archery season and lasts until the archery opener.
...i thought bringing girlfriends along on hunting trips was a good idea. for three years in a row there was crying in hunting camp, and i dont like to cry.

>Hunting and the selfish costs involved
>in hunting multiple states played
>a big part in the
>destruction of my first marriage.
>
>
>My current wife of 20 years
>grew up in a deer
>hunting family.
>We spent a lot of time
>hunting together in the mountains
>before my son was born.
>
>
>She knew from day 1 who
>she was getting involved with.
>
>
> As my son grew up
>a little and was able
>to tag along, my wife
>realized that the time that
>my son spent in the
>outdoors with me was going
>to be a huge positive
>in both of our lives.
>
>That time in the outdoors has
>created a son that she
>is very, very proud of.
>
>
>I am blessed to have a
>wife that allows me that.
>
>I doubt I could find another.
>
>
>HH

I hear you man! My ex wanted me to sit at home doing nothing at all...God forbid I think about waking precious to do something together but I damned sure better not be hunting! Needless to say we got divorced in 97 and she STILL tries to throw her opinions into the mix! I met the love of my life 4 years ago and we hope to be getting married soon. Problems on her end with a daughter and grandson, but it's all good...things will work out. She's not sure she could actually kill something herself, but you can bet your bottom dollar she's gonna be in camp and we cut up an elk on her dining room table a couple years back. Still gotta figger out a way to beat her in fly fishing tho.

My son went on his first elk hunt this year after he moved down here and out from under his mom's iron fist. He didn't get one but is wanting to stay with it! I picked up a Kodiak bow for him this summer and we may try to grab an archery tag this coming year. Luckily, my fiancee's son got a big a$$ 5x5 second day this year so we have something to celebrate. I caught her taking a picture while I was "fretting" over the ways our boys were skinning that elk. I'm a very lucky man to have the extended family that I have. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Never ever forget you need to be Dad first and foremost. It's frustrating to go a few years without hunting or scaled back hunting because of your heritage...but it's worth it in the long run! James is 18 going on 19, but I still remember him at about age 3 or 4 coming up and wrapping his arms around my knees, saying "I love you Daddy". You can't help but remember moments like that! :)

+1 on the comments about family. You definitely need to be around for them. However, something that has worked for me has been more on the compromise piece. I like to be outside golfing and hunting, while she has her own activities. I think we men get selfish and overlook the fact that our wives have hobbies too. Schedule some time for her to go out on her own while you take care of the kids. Maybe send her out with her friends and you pay for lunch and a movie or something. Ive found that she gives me more latitude and freedom when she gets her own too.

+1 on family also.. didn't listen real well on the 1st ball and chain.. two great kids came from it! biggest misstake was not thinking with the right head..I knew she was not big on the outdoors but i didn't change.. but #2 has been great! she grew up in a hunting family and understands the life style and hunts with me. good luck and make time for them. god,family,hunting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom