Top Choice AZ. Guides

W

Widowmaker2

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-08 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]If you had one chance to afford a guided hunt at a good opportunity at a 350+ bull,who would your top 3 choices be for a guide in Arizona Unit 9,or 10?

No Gut's...No Story!!!

I'd get a hold of AZ402 on this site... #1 choice..

(Don't get a big head Stan) :)

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Don't forget about Mullins Outfitters they have definately pinned down 9 and they put down some really good bulls in 10 this year also.

My first Choice would be McClendon & Sons then Mullins Outfitters. I live up here in unit 9 and i see the Mullins up here all year long. The Mullins definatly know unit 9, they pulled some big bulls out of here in 07 (two bulls over 400"). I know John McClendon pretty good and he has been hunting here for a long time and they have also pulled some big bulls from here, they always seem to find a way to find and kill the BIGGEST bull in 9. Last year they shot one that was around 420".

Good Luck on the 2008 draw

Mullins..... all the other outfitters are excellent as well. Matt Mullins was in unit last year scouting all summer long and had multiple bulls over 380 filmed, patterned and all but tied up prior to the archery season. the first morning i hunted a 420 bull(later killed with their help on the early rifle hunt), that night i hunted the bull i would kill the following evening(413 gross, 404 4/8 net typical). the next morning i stalked another monster 390 + bull and that night i killed my bull.

they worked their a## off all summer. the camp was first class and the cook was awesome. they are all young and enthusiatic and they absolutely know every inch of 9 and 10. no doubt the other outfitters mentioned would do a very good job, but in my experience no could work any harder than these guys do.

Don

all the mentioned guides are great people and great guides. don't forget chad rhoton and jay lopeman whom i believe can be found on mossback.com under the az. section. they found the bull and followed it like stink on a skunk for several weeks that the 2007 gov. tag holder later killed in a joint effort between the two parties. chad and jay put in a lot of time and effort and should be recognized for their efforts with that bull. they also archery killed a 410" broken bull that was a low 420's w/o breaks in 2007 which they followed for three years up to the time of kill. In 2006 they killed a 389" bull that was featured on the cover of Eastman's bowhunter magazine with Brent Curtis. All the guides that have been mentioned put in a lot of time and effort to find the biggest and best available on any given yr. just though i would give credit where it is due for some of the biggest and best killed up by the big ditch this past yr. hope the snow/rains have been better than the last two yrs. up there. with last yr. being as good as it was, i can't imagine what a normal yr. could bring. time will tell. how does it look up there if right now?

Guys,

Just another nod towards Steve Chappell (Chappell and Scott Guide Service). I've known Steve for many years and had the opportunity to hunt with Steve on his personal archery hunt last year and would recommend him as a guide to anyone. I think what sets him apart from a lot of other outfitters is his calling ability...a lot of guys can find big bulls and get guys onto big bulls by water or spot and stalk, but being able to call the bulls into archery range to seal the deal is key to a great archery hunt! I have no doubt that Steve can find big bulls consistantly, but more importanyly, he can get guys in close to big bulls without solely relying on water or stalking. Plus the added excitement of consistantly calling big bulls is priceless...

The other guys mentioned are class-act guides as well, just wanted to add my 2-cents on the matter and recommend Chappell and Scott!

Corey Jacobsen

Mossback of Arizona hands down. The proof is in the pudding. Jay Lopeman and Chad Rhoton are the most knowledgeable guides in that area. Check out the website.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-08 AT 11:54PM (MST)[p]Ditto to what Buglelk posted. I've been around Steve Chappell and talked alot with him and he is a straight up guy that I would love to have with me on a hunt of a lifetime. No one better to have for calling in bulls but yet humble enough to be a good guy to spend time with. Watch his Extreme Bulls videos if in doubt. nwhunter

Chad Smith, vaquero outfitters. hands down unit 10....hunted with him on the late hunt two years ago...our camp went 6 for 7 with the smallest being a 300 bull and the rest 340 to a broke up bull that chads wife shot that scored over 400 inchs with about 50 inches broke off. he has access to the big private ranches that nobody else has...the bull I shot scored in the 340s the rest of the bulls were bigger. the one unsuccessful hunter left after the 1st day.....why? I dont know....Mark and Brian Gosswick were my guides....VERY knowledgeable and fun to be around....

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-08 AT 07:50AM (MST)[p]Being the Ambassador for the Arizona Chapter of Hunt of a lifetime I have had the opportunity to work with a couple of the guides / outfitters mentioned above who are willing give of their time, talent, and resources to help our program, and the kids, at a moments notice year in and year out.In the units questioned Don Martin of Arizona Wildlife Outfitters and Chad Smith of Vaquero outfitters are definitely good choices for their talent, knowledge, and generosity. You can see the results some of thier efforts on our Arizona Chapter website www.hoalarizona.org . Take the time to read Christopher Reeves story and the story about David McShaw titled "Divine Intervention" to get an idea of what these guys are about. We wouldn't have a program without the help of people like this ........ Terry

Chappell and Scott are hands down the best option. The proof is in the extreme bulls video series. Nobody is as succesful at locating and calling 350 plus bulls as these guys.

In reading through all the posts, it pretty much covers "who is who" in quality Arizona guides/outfitters. All have guided/outfitted clients to exceptional elk in Arizona. This will not change because Arizona truly is the "land of giants".

With that said, my choice would be Steve Chappell and here is why (Steve guided me in Unit 10 on an archery hunt). I believe he is one of the best elk callers in the county. A few years ago he identified and duplicated (via mouth diaphram) a new elk sound he calls the estrous scream. During my hunt it was typical to call in 10 bulls per day and I mean spittin' on you close. You will not find a more genuine, ethical person.....anywhere! He will do everything possible to make the hunt an "experience of a lifetime", while calling in bulls till you find the "right" one for you. In the end a great bull and unbelievable experience is what we all want.

Just my "two cents"......good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom