Top Utah Archery Hunt

Shedhead03

Let's not count the Henries or paunsy general archery, but can include their perspective management tags. What are your top 3 Utah archery LE tags and why? I am resident with 16 le deer points but am honestly tired of chasing. I have it narrowed down to a few which include a couple rifle tags, but the Delores and paunsy management have me curious, along with a couple late muzzy tags. I am in a pickle.

I am guessing you are also excluding Oak Creek archery as well given your point total. Outside of the big 3 units (Henrys, Pauns, and Oak Creek), there just aren't many great options for LE Deer.

That Delores late archery hunt could be a good one to consider, but is so weather dependent. I had a buddy hunt it last year - he had a really fun hunt and saw some great bucks. Killed a decent buck. Vernon archery might be a decent option as well if you live close to the unit and can scout it a lot and hunt it hard.

I would not personally choose a management tag on the Pauns - way too much torture having to pass on the big bucks. To each his own there though.

The Vernon is my back yard but the big bucks are corralled by guides it seems. And i have not been all that impressed with what i have seen come off of that unit but it definitely is a contender. I believe i have a better chance at a bigger management buck on paunsy than the Vernon but i could definitely be wrong. Delores is up there to but i worry about weather dependent hunts. This is my dilemma. Haha

I am chasing if i go San Juan. It's in the same boat as Paunsy archery. Never heard of range creek. Looks like i could draw that for sure. Any pictures of deer killed there. I have been leaning toward the oquirrh/stansbury late muzzy splitting points with my son. But i have always wanted to hunt the paunsy. And the Delores is pretty appealing too. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

I would do the San Juan if you have the points. If you do not have experience with the range creek unit don't put in for it. There is a ton of private but some real good deer there. Mike Saparis has really done an excellent job creating habitat up there and it is starting to produce some great results.

The late muzzy tags can be a blast. Just have to keep a few things in mind. The dates are rolling back every year, tell it jumps back again. It’s somewhat weather dependent. This year could be the last year to hunt it with our current muzzleloader laws.

Something i just realized, with them changing the oquirrhs to any bull, the general muzzy elk has the exact same dates as the late le muzzy deer. They continue to screw le tag holders. Started with spike during le elk hunts, and now this will ruin late muzzy deer tags for sure in my opinion

Last edited:
Something i just realized, with them changing the oquirrhs to any bull, the general muzzy elk has the exact same dates as the late le muzzy deer. They continue to screw le tag holders. Started with spike during le elk hunts, and now this will ruin late muzzy deer tags for sure in my opinion
Lots of variables to consider for sure. But the muzzy elk hunt can be pretty quiet, especially where they killed the 3 season tag this year. I hunted a late muzzy deer tag in 2021 on an any bull unit, I never saw another hunter.

Lots of variables to consider for sure. But the muzzy elk hunt can be pretty quiet, especially where they killed the 3 season tag this year. I hunted a late muzzy deer tag in 2021 on an any bull unit, I never saw another hunter.
I had it this year on the south slope, seen some elk hunters but they by no means affected my hunt. Hell, most will point you in the direction of a big buck if they see one.

This isn't just a general unit that has been hunted for years. It's a le unit turning to general this year. I believe this unit will be hit by masses this year because of that. Who knows i could be totally wrong with my thoughts. I may be over reacting. It's just frustrating the way our limited entry tags get affected by general season pressure at the same time.

This isn't just a general unit that has been hunted for years. It's a le unit turning to general this year. I believe this unit will be hit by masses this year because of that. Who knows i could be totally wrong with my thoughts. I may be over reacting. It's just frustrating the way our limited entry tags get affected by general season pressure at the same time.
It’s a valid concern for sure. And I think it will get slammed on the rifle elk hunt. But with only a fraction of the quota going to muzzy hunters, and multiple new units joining the any bull list, I think the pressure will be pretty spread out.

I don’t know what the numbers look like these days. but before the 3 season tag, only a small fraction of the any bull quota went to muzzleloader hunters.

Given the variety of hunts you've mentioned, I'm guessing you are looking for the biggest buck as top priority versus a particular experience (hot Archery hunt, cold muzzy hunt, etc...)

I think most of us know that there are 4 units with true trophies (180+) running around regularly... the rest hold good bucks with potential for a true trophy. So if you want a better chance at a "biggun", stick to the 4... Otherwise, pick the type of hunt experience you want and go have a blast.

My opinion? If you can draw a muzzy tag by splitting your points with your kid, I'd do that. I can't tell you how much fun my family had on the mentor hunt with my daughter last year... We got a beautiful buck out of it, but an experience I know will stick with my daughter forever...

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom