Topographical HandHeld GPS? Recommendations...

T

Texas_Hunter

I am in the market for a handheld topographical handheld GPS. Do you guys have any recommendations?

tex,

Duno what kind of bones you want to put out, but if your like me and don't have an understanding wife on what it takes to have such "necessities", try the Garmin "vista". Bout' 350.00

I also bought the CD-ROM mapping toy!!(100.00) Man it's cool. It even shows some of the main dirt roads in my killing fields. Has a barometer, electronic compass, and so many other bells and whistles that I've yet to figuire out. (I've heard tell that it can take care of a mans "needs" on those lonely night's) Just ask MOOSIE, he'll tell ya!

Anyway, I like it. Go to their web site and take a looksie.

RiverPig (oink,oink)

I've got the garmin IIIplus and it is head shoulders above the Magellan I upgraded from. Garmin makes so many different models that its a matter of preference and price. I will say that I'm impressed with the Topo programs offered by Garmin. These topo maps show the exact same features as the BLM maps for the areas I hunt, so its very easy to figure out exactly where you are by simply comparing the screen to the map. This has come in handy when hunting close to the border of a particular game unit.

Good information already. I use the Garmin V and e-Trex Vista with the Map Source topo backgrounds. I have them for work, but would love to have one for my personal use. In valuable in chckerboarded areas.

I'd wait 2 years before investing. you'll get a color display and it will be more usable. Reading maps from a small black and white screen sucks. If you have to have it today, go with a maptech solution and a Pocket PC

Holy cow shedcrazy, how much money do you have to spend on a GPS.;-) They don't exactly give those Trimble Geo's away. I think for navigation I will stick to only spending a couple hundred dollars instead of several thousand.:)

Last New Years Day at Gart's Sports the entire store was 25% off (save firearms and ammo). Since it was already discounted my GPS III plus was under 200. Maybe they will do the same thing this year.

I just wanted to see who was payin attn. I would not recommend such a pricy piece of equipment to the regular guy out huntin.

how do you know the equipment?

Shed

I have a Magellan Sport Trak Map. It sells for about $169 now. used to be over $200. Get the Topo USA to go with it and you are set!! It is really easy to use, very readable, accurate, and gives me a ton of confidence in the field. I will not hesitate to go into the thickest and nastiest stuff... You know that rolling heavily timbered stuff that you can't see out of to get your bearings????

I would not wait 2 years for a color one...... They also have a $50 rebate if you get the topo software to go with it... Tim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom