Total Knee Replacement

JumpinJ

Had a total knee replacement the end of May this year. Decided to take the entire year off from hunting to rehab. Curious if any other members have gone through this surgery and how was your recovery/rehab and how's the knee feel during and after hunting season.

Thanks in advance

John

I had one in June 2018. I did hunt 2 1/2 months later, but dialed it back. Took a smaller buck closer to the road and didn't really hunt elk much.

I quit PT when we lost our medical, but it is pretty good. A little stiff. Something that can be remedied. I have far more range of motion than most after a replacement, but went into it uncommonly flexible.

I find that it is at it's best this year, when I'm hunting. The uneven ground and changes in elevation loosen it up.

I had one in September of 2017. In 2018 I hunted with no major problems.

I did stick with the therapy program and went beyond what they asked for when at home.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Didn't have a knee replacement but have been having a lot of trouble with my my hip and right leg. Going through a lot trying to figure it out and it's slowing me down big time. I sympathies with you and wish you a speedy recovery.

I didn't have a knee replacement but had a torn ACL. Surgery was in August of 1998. Doctor recommended PT and no hunting, packing etc for 3-4 months. Being the genius I am I didn't listen. Guided elk hunters in October for 3 weeks. Packed elk on numerous occasions. Since then I've had 8 more knee surgeries. Looking back I should?ve listened to my doc.
Trust your doc or find one you do!

I had both knees replaced the end of March of this year and feel great, No pain and normal mobility. I'm 71 and will be deer hunting the first week of November in Colorado. I won't get into steep terrain or terrain that is too uneven, but I think I will be fine for the area I normally hunt.

My Dad had both his done at the same time when he was 62.

Can?t remember how long his recovery was, but he is 90 now.

He is still out working around the house and in the garden all day. He don't hunt anymore but he still goes fishing all by himself.

It was a pretty new procedure when he did his, and at the time they said that the new knees would only last 15 years.

He is still going on the same knees, swears by the procedure.

Get out there and given a try.

I have and both shoulders too..all in 6 months of each other.. took 1 year to fully recover.. .smacked

JumpinJ.
I had my left knee replaced in 1991 and it took about 6 months to feel like I was ready to tackle mountain hunting. For the next 16 years I stayed very active but in 2006 it wore out and I had it replaced again. My recovery from the second replacement was quicker. I continue to physically work every day and I do regular backpack hunts without many issues.
I am now 70 and most of my physical problems come from other parts of my body besides the knee.
Good luck with your recovery. I did everything the docs told me to and it has worked great for me.

Here?s the old guy post. Our bodies are breaking down but the mind is still young and we are unwilling to stop doing what we love.

I had a total replacement feb ?18. I was ready to go by september last year after a ton of rehab, and the heaviest pack out was 98 lbs with no problem. Well at least with the knee, I had some other complaints that day.

This year I was much stronger and in better shape. I had a longer pack out with about 10 lbs more weight, but the bionic knee did great.

I'm very impressed with how well an artificial knee operates. I know everybody is different but I've heard lots of success stories. I have had no bad effects after the season or any need to take time off to recover, although I don't think I'm long before I do the other knee.

Good luck in your recovery John

2 years ago last week my right knee replacement broke after 18 years the prosthesis separated from the femur. I had to wait until February of 2018 to get it fixed because of two trips we had already bought and paid for. They did a total revision February 13th of 2018 and I'll have to say it was about the worst experience I've ever had. The doctor says 18 months recovery so I had to take it pretty easy last year although I did hunt deer on the archery hunt. This last winter I decided to burn my 18 elk points on a Wasatch late rifle tag and also hire a guide for the hunt this was my last hurrah for big game I've just lost the passion and desire I once had,then I found out an April I needed a replacement on my left knee and we couldn't do it till July because of a trip to Alaska my wife and I had planned. So there I sat 63 years old with a new knee and A elk hunt in 4 months, the doctor told me I'd be fine, I worked my butt off in physical therapy but I just could not get over the hump and was struggling right up until the hunt started last Saturday. I killed a nice bull the third day of the hunt on a drainage off the left fork of hobble Creek in some terribly steep and overground terrain. It literally took me two hours to get to the bull after I shot him. 2 days later I'm still recovering from the hunt. I'm glad I didn't turn the tag back in because I had such a great time on the hunt it was a wonderful experience with a great guide and a fitting end to my big game hunting. But God damn I'm glad it's over

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom