Tough Elk Meat

Pucci

Any suggestions? Shot a bull last weekend and every bit of meat I tried is tough including the back straps.

Too late to let it hang (age) for 10-14 days. Cut your steaks thin and learn to love Pot Roast, stew, and burger.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-13 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]I take even my backstrap steaks, and pound them with one of those meat hammers, using the most course side. Hammer each steak on both sides. It thins the steak out some. I then marinade the steaks in Mr. Yoshitoes (spelling) I buy it at Costcos,
Sweet and Savory,and some olive oil, for a few hours, then throw them on the grill. Use a hot grill that will char the outside, but only long enough to leave the center pink. This should make your steaks very tender, and creates a great flavor. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I already took a bunch in for sausage and burger. My butcher told me to have it tenderized. So I ordered one from Amazon and well see what happens. Thanks

I shot a bull a couple of years ago that was tough and chewy also. It aged for two weeks. I did pound it out and that helped some. Then I found the post on thus forum titled, Death in a Bottle. I love that recipe. The meat can be used for stews, tacos, and stir fry. It is very tender after canning and lasts for years if stored correctly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom