Trailer deck question for all you smart folks

feddoc

Long Time Member
I'm gonna replace the decking on my 25' gooseneck.

It has 2X8-20' boards.

Is there any reason to go wider or narrower on the boards?

Is there an advantage to using fir (and stain) or just going straight to pressure treated?

I don't like the screws used originally so I'm gonna go with some stainless bolts/nuts. More work, but I need a good spring project.

advantage to narrower boards would be less cupping but since your using nuts and bolts (carriage bolts i assume) shouldn't be an issue.

treated or fir? what climate you live in and how much maintenance you want to do. fir looks nicer, there both soft, treated you probably never touch again.

Just did one of my two utility trailers this spring. Went pressure treated and carriage bolts. Turned out and looks great. Hopefully good for another 15 plus years.

The last one I did for extended wet weather and salt water use, I did it with TREX decking. Super straight, comes in 20 foot lengths also. A little more expensive, but looks really nice and is slip proof. Designed for 25-50 years of life expectancy. Heck, it has a 25 year warranty for decking at the house!

If I was just looking for a knock around utility trailer deck, I would use cheap fir, and stain every 2-3 years.

Sixteen foot with stained wood deck I did last summer.

IMG_1980.jpeg

I agree with JP. Less cupping with narrower planks.

I have had trouble with nuts coming loose on equipment that has a lot of vibration, even with lock washers. I’ve only had one self taping metal screw come loose on a flat bed trailer.

Having said that, others have probably done a lot more work on trailers than I have.

The last one I did for extended wet weather and salt water use, I did it with TREX decking. Super straight, comes in 20 foot lengths also. A little more expensive, but looks really nice and is slip proof. Designed for 25-50 years of life expectancy. Heck, it has a 25 year warranty for decking at the house!

If I was just looking for a knock around utility trailer deck, I would use cheap fir, and stain every 2-3 years.

Sixteen foot with stained wood deck I did last summer.

View attachment 130917
Respectfully, Blank, oof, trex is a misery product.

It is the exact opposite of slip proof (ever tried walking on trex with ski boots? Give that a go sometime).

Ive done numerous decks with it. It takes fasteners like ****. It deteriorates rapidly. And i personally think it looks terrible. Unless you like plasticky things, which maybe you do, which is cool too.

I would think it would suck way worse on a moving object.

Did you sell the trailer or how is it holding up?

advantage to narrower boards would be less cupping but since your using nuts and bolts (carriage bolts i assume) shouldn't be an issue.

treated or fir? what climate you live in and how much maintenance you want to do. fir looks nicer, there both soft, treated you probably never touch again.

I agree with JP. Less cupping with narrower planks.

I have had trouble with nuts coming loose on equipment that has a lot of vibration, even with lock washers. I’ve only had one self taping metal screw come loose on a flat bed trailer.

Having said that, others have probably done a lot more work on trailers than I have.
Self tapping screws is sorta what caused me to want to replace the deck. One of my boards became so warped that the end board pulled right through the screw.

if it's stored under cover even a plain wood deck with marine urethane will last a decade between coats. if it's wet alot or stored where the sun is on it I'd go with the pressure treated even though it'll be way heavier on that long of a trailer

The Newer Pressure Treated Wood Is Not What It Used To Be!

Might Look OK when You First Get It!

But You Better Get It Bolted Down Quick!

Don't Believe Me?

Go To LOWES Or Any Other Hardware & Check Some Of It Out That Nobody Will Pack Out Of The Stores!

Even When You Hi-Grade Through A Bunch Of It That Ain't Crooked & Split,It'll Happen Later!

Hey doc!

Find Somebody That'll Rip You Some Cottonwood!

Ya,That'll Be Tough!

The REDWOOD & TREATED Got So Bad Around Here They've Been Letting Contractors Build Porches & Decks With Regular Fur/Pine On New Houses!

Anybody Remember When REDWOOD Was Red?

Grouse and UTL: I agree I would never build one for here in Idaho. And this was a request for coastal Matagorda Texas. It is chalky and bleached out, but works well for what it is asked to do. Used every day, 365, and mostly walked on with Crocs. Carries Jon boats, jet skis, zero turn mowers and lots of crab or crawdad traps.

My favorite is a 5x10 with expanded mesh, but can't carry much on it!! It gets used by my kids and grandkids more than anything else I own!!!

IMG_5985.jpeg

I have done a bunch of trailers over the years. Yellow Pine with Thompson waterseal will out last everything else. Pressure treated wood is for bugs more than weather .

I have done a bunch of trailers over the years. Yellow Pine with Thompson waterseal will out last everything else. Pressure treated wood is for bugs more than weather .
This, get the boards good and dry/warm. It will soak that up and be good for a long time. The tough part is finding good straight boards to start with.

Regular Doug Fir 2x6 with a coat of used motor oil is good for +-15 years of service, even more if you reapply the oil every 5 years or so.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom