Trekking poles

I have used them for the last 8 years or so. I use 2 and they save your knees and help with balance. I won't hike without them.

jus sayin...mh

A. Crossing running water
B. Steep ups/downs
C. Heavy pack
D. Deep snow
E. Down timber
F. All of the above

Unless I'm only hunting antelope in the desert, they're in my pack all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same as Blank.
Two poles allow me to use my upper body to pull me up the mountain and also brace myself and save my prosthetic knee while descending.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-16 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]Used them the first time this year, won't hike again without them. Awesome

I can't walk for 5 minutes fer having to get off my feet but when out and about, i have with me a 6 foot piece of 3/4" copper pipe wrapped on both ends with duct tape. It's one handy tool and shooting aid to have along.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I use trekking poles and have for over a decade.
They work.
You'll love them.
I'll never be without them if the climb is steep or the pack is heavy .....or if I'm hiking ANYWHERE!
My knees thank me!
I've been snowshoeing 6X in the past 2 weeks and they're even more useful for that application.
Zeke

Have them and love them. Two is better than one, and one is better than none.

First though that trekking poles were for pansies until I tried some on a 11 mile backpacking trip. They are incredible, help you push and pull yourself along, catch yourself when a rock slips or you roll an ankle. Helps on steep ascent & descents.

They are great! Get some!

I used to laugh when I'd see someone using them....until this year. I killed a buck in a spot where I had to bone the meat out and put it in a pack. At 67 years old and carrying my rifle on steep ground, I instinctively started looking around for a walking stick to help keep my balance. I found one and what a difference it made. Kind of nice to lean on when you want to take a breather too.

I'm in the market for one (or two). I did a search and there is some good information here.

I always thought they were for yuppies. I didn't own any spandex so why would I need trekking poles either.

I now take them every time... but still don't own any spandex.

Shoot Forky I use both LOL. One thing not mentioned is I can hunt with my head UP more freely when I have my trekkers.

After using a single hiking stick for years I got some Leki hiking poles and won't go out much without them now.

I had used my ski poles in olden days snowshoeing/winter mountaineering. 1st time I used them on a Sierra pack trip I was laughed at,so I stopped.1978..lol
Then it was the look of S-clubbers so ....
Now I don't care that they work.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-16 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]I bought some this year 25.00 at wal mart and they are worth every penny. You can spend alot more if you want. I will use them all the time now. Wished I would have had them a long time ago. I use 2 when I hike and hunt.

I have used and tested about every pair.
I always use tracking poles.
Spend what your budget allows.

At 53 I was feeling kind of old. but I get around just fine without canes so maybe I'm in better shape than I thought.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Sure Trekking poles help. They can be the difference between getting out with a full load, or not getting out at all. But they are a pain in the ass most of the time. Extra weight when you are not using them, which is 95% of the time. They suck on really rocky ground, brushy ground, and suck when you are trying to carry a gun. Most of the time you only really need the poles for a couple slick spots. The better option? Cut a trekking pole from a tree or branch when you need one, and discard when you don't.

Nearly all trekking poles are adjustable so you can find the length that works best for you. Generally, a 90 degree angle at the elbow is a good starting point.

I just about have to have them in challenging terrain. When I don't need them I compact them and put them in my pack.

A pole will certainly work too. I learned how to use one very well during a 10 day mountain hunt for Bezoar Ibex in Turkey last year. I liked it so much I cut it in half and brought it home with me. I'll put it back together one day.

I use Cabela's trekking poles but I have my eye on a pair of carbon Leki's.

I used to see people using them and think to myself... What a p&$$@! Turns out I was the idiot thinking I was tough for not needing them. I thought I used to cover ground fast in the past but I can really cover ground now. It's a lot easier to drop off one mountain and climb another when using them. Saves your knees and really helps on the hills. I'm no expert on what brand.... But I say get them.

We're right in the middle of steelhead fishing now and I decided for the first time to make a wading stick for crossing the river. What a huge difference it makes for keeping my balance! Much safer.

I headed to the scrap bin at the lumber yard and spent $3.21. I already had the cement. I made the lower half thinner to help cut down on drag while in the swift water. I need to come up with a better grip. Neoprene or something.....

1350wadingpole004.jpg

+1 Eel, and it will float if the ends are capped or sealed. For a grip, you might try to glue on a piece of cheap, thin walled, pipe insulation.

I like it!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-16 AT 03:48PM (MST)[p]thin walled, pipe insulation. BINGO!! Great idea Joey. You saved me some money, Bud! :)

Edit: That should provide some floatation too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom