Trespass Fee or Special Antelope???

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
Ok, so on another post someone made a point I guess I have not thought about. I hunted antelope last year for the first time in Wyoming, had a great time, got a pretty decent buck I think anyway, and hope to do it again this year.
I hunted a not great unit with lots of private but also lots of BLM than you can't access unless you pay a trespass fee of maybe $100-$250. It is a 100% draw area for non-res with no points.

But, on another post someone pointed out that for that amount - the full price tag fee + what you pay for a trespass fee you could put in for the Special draw in a much better unit as far as public access, draw and end up spending about the same amount of money overall and maybe find a better goat??

So, any thoughts in this, it does seem to make sense, I could put in for maybe 68, 92 or 96 on the Special and draw, for what it will cost me in a less than good unit with the trespass.

Good idea or not??? Appreciate your thoughts,
Thanks

Frank, I made that point up in the Antelope forum. I too hunted eastern wyoming for many years on the regular license. I hunted a variety of ranches. some I had to pay a tresspass fee and some I didn't. However, now a tresspass fee is the norm. The units you mentioned could be drawn in the special draw with no preference point. Depending upon the circumstance they could provide you with a better experience than a trespass fee hunt. Again, it depends upon your situation but its worth considering. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Chip,
Yup - I read your post and it got me to thinking. I've been stressing about putting in for the same unit, maybe shoot for the type 1 tag which is about a 50% draw and hunt it mid season and hope for the best, or maybe do the Special draw for unit 68, that looks like a pretty good one maybe. The one I got last year was a 13 1/2 inch buck with decent mass but this may be my last trip over and would really like to at least know there are maybe 14+ bucks to chase.

Oregonmuley,

I agree with your theory, I drew a tag last year on area 30, and was so concerned about access that I didnt even go, that and I could not justify the drive from California for a 12 inch buck. So this year I am doing the special draw for some areas with 50% plus public land. On the downside, there will be more hunters and more competition compared with just paying a rancher and being the only one in his land. So its all relative I guess, as long as you have fun and have a chance at a good one- thats all that matters, right?

Good luck! I cant wait for July and see the draw results!

Zilla

Oregon, you are on the right track with the special tag, but be careful. We hunted unit 30 with leftover tags at the end of the season. Had a great time, no competition, lots of antelope, but could not find a buck over 13", except for a real nice one we saw on private land.

I have killed four antelope in Oregon that were 14-15", so was not particularly motivated to shoot a 13" buck. Missed one about that size, and passed up a shot at another due to some safety issues in the background. My partner had never killed an antelope, so he killed one of the 13" ers.

When we got home, pulled out the tape, and that little buck he shot outscored all four of my Oregon bucks. Mass all the way up was amazing compared to my bucks. In evaluating the way antelope are scored, shorter horns can actually help with the mass measurements if he is heavy above the prong. The 8 mass measurements were over 44" of a total score of 75. Been kickin myself ever since.

Zilla, you should have gone. We hunted the public access areas. Saw between 150-200 antelope on our last day, with more than 30 bucks, but they were getting a little spooky.

I have been to Wyoming the last two years, and if you don't want to compete with other hunters, go later in the season.

Scoutdog

With the Special tag fee, there are a couple of areas in Southwest Wyoming that are 100% draw with no points. Go whereever you want for the most part as it is almost entirely public land. With only one point, your options really open up.

Scoutdog5, bummer you didn't get a lope on unit 30, glad to hear that there is good safety minded hunters out there that do not take a shot for safety reasons, but at least your partner got one!! If I thought there would have been an opportunity for a 75 B&C I totally would have gone, my loss I guess. have you posted any pictures of the hunt!!! Would be cool to see!

Oregonmuley, I would suggest you look back and search the WY forum and the Antelope forum to see what other good folks have posted about those units, I read on another post that you are considering 67. I have heard good stuff about that unit, would definetly be one on my top 2, if you buy a special tag with minimal points you might draw it. Good luck!

Sorry, I was confussed, it was MUZZy looking for info on 67, not you Oregon Muley. My bad.. Still think its a unit worth checking out. Dont know much about the others you mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your imput. I went ahead and put in for unit 113 since its what I know - not a great unit but I had fun so thats what counts. And, I killed what was for me a really nice antelope so no regrets. I still may go back in and redo my picks - I keep looking at that unit 67 and get a good feeling about it - who knows maybe see some new country which is always a good thing.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom