Tri tip

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Cooked these up Wednesday on the Red Oak BBQ. Forget to get a pic of the full plate but served it with beans, salad and sourdough garlic buttered bread.
I aged these for a little over 1 month in my refrigerator in vacuum sealed bags and they were amazingly tender.
A53B4E63-B759-41D8-B6B4-68B7225B1B11.jpeg

Those look great. I learned how to cook those while going to Cal Poly. It's my favorite cut of beef. What did you season them with?

I've never tried a tri-tip roast. I might have to, tho, because that looks yummy.
Tony You should definitely try one. Cook it on a hot fire, liberal seasoning, medium rare, rest it for 15 minutes and cut against the grain. Also note that a tri tip will have 2 different grain directions in one roast so you need to cut it accordingly.
A124CA21-3FD0-4DB2-9F46-182759FB2093.jpeg

Tony You should definitely try one. Cook it on a hot fire, liberal seasoning, medium rare, rest it for 15 minutes and cut against the grain. Also note that a tri tip will have 2 different grain directions in one roast so you need to cut it accordingly.
View attachment 54559
I thought I had seen it on sale this week, so I just checked. Sure enough, Safeway has them on special at $5 lb. today only. I get my raw clams there, which I've been needing a fix of, so I'll send my lady there today.

How is it when done in a smoker like a brisket ?

I thought I had seen it on sale this week, so I just checked. Sure enough, Safeway has them on special at $5 lb. today only. I get my raw clams there, which I've been needing a fix of, so I'll send my lady there today.

I’ve never cooked one in the smoker but I’d imagine it would be pretty good. Worth a try at least!

Smoker works just don't over cook or it will be dry. We pull it at 125°f then let rest. Or we smoke it on low heat for an hour maybe 2 then high heat on the grill. Reverse sear.

Just found another of the local sellers. This is where I buy my beef tenderloins.

View attachment 54583
Tony I’d pass on that. I’m not a fan of pre marinated meats. I like to season to my personal preferences.

For tritip this seasoning is the Original seasoning of Santa Maria BBQ and where the tritip cut originated. I still use it but also make my own or a blend of my own seasonings.

Tony I’d pass on that. I’m not a fan of pre marinated meats. I like to season to my personal preferences.

For tritip this seasoning is the Original seasoning of Santa Maria BBQ and where the tritip cut originated. I still use it but also make my own or a blend of my own seasonings.

Totally agree. I posted that ad just to show the price.

I smoke them like a brisket all the time. Usually smoke for 5-6 hours at 250 and then foil wrap and finish in the oven. You have to pick one with a good amount of marbling to get away with it but I’ve brought them up to 195 internal with good results. They can tend get a little dry if your not careful.

BC3FE205-11C0-4C88-BFE7-403C8C391768.jpeg

Last edited:

I prefer BBQ over smoked. That's just my preference. Like Cahunter805 said, the Santa Maria seasoning is great! Tri-tip is the go-to when we have parties or local fundraisers.

I smoke them like a brisket all the time. Usually smoke for 5-6 hours at 250 and then foil wrap and finish in the oven. You have to pick one with a good amount of marbling to get away with it but I’ve brought them up to 195 internal with good results. They can tend get a little dry if your not careful.

View attachment 54630
I'm going to try it with one. I generally have a pan of water in my smoker. When I do ribs using the 3-2-1 hour ritual, I spray them liberally with apple juice for the 2-hr. phase wrapped in foil.

Isn't 195 a bit well done?

I'm going to try it with one. I generally have a pan of water in my smoker. When I do ribs using the 3-2-1 hour ritual, I spray them liberally with apple juice for the 2-hr. phase wrapped in foil.

Isn't 195 a bit well done?
195 is what I take a brisket to. Ive tried it a couple of times to see what would happen and it is very similar to a brisket flat. Last time I did it, I cut the tri-tip into 1” squares once it hit 180, similar to brisket burnt ends. I then added a mixture of bbq sauce, rub and apple juice and placed covered in a foil pan. I then placed it back in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours. Turned out wonderful. As others have stated though, you really only need to take it to 140ish for medium, but if I’m doing that, I’ll cook at 350ish on the smoker and cook it a lot faster. I like experimenting with new methods.

195 is what I take a brisket to. Ive tried it a couple of times to see what would happen and it is very similar to a brisket flat. Last time I did it, I cut the tri-tip into 1” squares once it hit 180, similar to brisket burnt ends. I then added a mixture of bbq sauce, rub and apple juice and placed covered in a foil pan. I then placed it back in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours. Turned out wonderful. As others have stated though, you really only need to take it to 140ish for medium, but if I’m doing that, I’ll cook at 350ish on the smoker and cook it a lot faster. I like experimenting with new methods.
Gotcha. I'm an 'I like it still mooing' type so I'd probably make some adjustments for that fact.

I think tri tip should be grilled like a great steak. Monitor the temp with a thermometer to your liking, mine is no more then medium rare. I suggest marinating 8 plus hours before grilling. Buy the highest grade beef you can, the more marbling the better. A local meat shop occasionally has Wagyu tri tip. I buy it when I see it and freeze for a special meal.
IMG_1158[4143].PNG
IMG_1026[3927].jpg

IMG_1026[3927].jpg

IMG_1158[4143].PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1158[4143].PNG
    IMG_1158[4143].PNG
    144.5 KB · Views: 259
I think tri tip should be grilled like a great steak. Monitor the temp with a thermometer to your liking, mine is no more then medium rare. I suggest marinating 8 plus hours before grilling. Buy the highest grade beef you can, the more marbling the better. A local meat shop occasionally has Wagyu tri tip. I buy it when I see it and freeze for a special meal.View attachment 54663View attachment 54662

View attachment 54660

View attachment 54661
Now you're talking! That's about like how I like it. Temp???

I saved the marinate recipe. Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom