Trout Creek deer

BlueMountainAdventures

Anyone been in the Trouts lately? I have not hunted it for 15 years, so wanted an update. I will be spending some time down there, so wanted to know where to start. Been in Oregon cyn, fifteen mile, and Payne cr. Deer still on decline? Trophy quality still there? Buck to doe ratio? Average buck killed there lately? Thanks guys!

So you drew the guide tag for the trout creeks that is good for you Bob hope it turns out better then most of the hunts taking place there. It is not a high dollar hunt anymore it is just a general buck hunt with the chance at a great buck. But the days of herds of forked horn and three points is no more.

If you don't scout hard, you won't kill big!

Not much has came off of it lately, but I think that 230"+ Stag buck walked off the unit this year & down to the flats.

After being a member on several hunting websites and talking with friends that hunt the Trout Creek area; I would about 50 other hunts than that one. The deer numbers and quality bucks are extremely low. I could take people out in the Alsea unit over here on the Westside and see more deer and probably larger bucks than in the Trout Creeks. I wouldn't waste your time or money on hunting that area unless it is more about a family tradition. I will PM you a couple of hunting websites you should do a search on Trout Creek and talk with people on there. You could pick a better unit by closing your eyes and pointing to a hunt in the regulation booklet compared to Trout Creeks. Know one has to believe me, but don't come cry on these hunting websites about not seeing any deer or mature bucks after wasting all your points or money when it is talked over and over again on how bad it is over there. Just my 2 cents.

I hunted it in 2000 and took a real nice buck by luck, my partner hunted the whole season and didn't see anything worth shooting.

I chuckar hunt there in the late fall and it's been years since I've seen a decent buck. my wife has enough points to draw it I think but I'm not going to let her blow them on the Trouts. sad part is other than a few max point late hunts there isn't many hunts any better in Oregon.

Ya, same as the late season rut hunt in Mt Emily. I have guided it 2 years.....shot a decent 7x7 last year, saw NO other big bucks in 6 days of hunting. Hunted with two tags this fall full season, Only saw a couple bucks over 165" the whole month of November up there.

ODFW director says he will make big changes last year, look at 2010 regs.........NOT A DAMN THING IS CHANGING!

There will ALWAYS be a few big bucks taken out of Oregon every year, but VERY few in between.

Antelope in the Trouts doing good though??

More bucks down there than people realize; saw 11 on opening day of rifle a year ago; 29 (different) for the season. Went 3 for 3 on decent 4 pts.; no monsters though. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. During trad season will see 25 bucks in a week. Lots of forkies and small 3's; next season will see lots of forkies and small 3's..... Still, a high buck:doe ratio (just alot fewer of each!); about 1/3 of the bucks are small to decent 4x's. There are undoubtedly a few bucks of a lifetime in those hills; but a few at most.

Antelope are pretty healthy; the country just doesn't grow them real big. Got a herd buck last year; he had the largest group of goats I had ever seen down there; about 80 does!!! One of the largest sage goats I have ever seen there; but still short of book (didn't score him; "size matters":), score is not a big deal to me).

Ras

your odds of killing a bigger buck in idaho on a general hunt is alot greater than the 13 years in takes to draw the trout creeks, sad deal but its true!! oregon has got to get it figured out. i will burn my points and be done completely with the state.

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

Aaron,

Its a sad day for Oregon's deer hunting! But Places in Idaho I used to hunt, are as bad or worse then Oregon. I have hunted south central Idaho for over a decade, and can hunt for a week, and see 2-5 bucks the whole time! Oregon, Idaho and Washington have potential, but are more worried about the Revenue. What they dont get is, with out animals, they wont have anything to "manage".
BTW NICE buck your wife got in ID!!!!

I have spent a fair amount of time in the unit in recent years...send me a pm with your questions

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

Bob, you are right about the states needing revenue, but raising the tags fees and licenses fees are not the answer this day and age. It's just a shame that oregon doesn't have a true trophy hunt. Didn't you kill a good buck down in the trout creek years ago? I bet you it's not like that anymore? So you drew one of the outfitter tags? Let know and I will see if i got the time this next year to help you out? Hard to pass up a chance to glass for muleys? the old lady did kill and good buck this year, we've taken some nice one the last few year!!

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

Raising the prices is stupid, Idaho I am sure is going to see that this year too. Yes, I shot a 31 inch 5x5 with eye guards. I will go down there later this summer and look around. I am thinking of drawing that antelope tag as well, so I can kill a nice goat and glass for big bucks too. I am different than most guys, I have weeks to scout and look for the bucks. So, hopefully I can find one in a week of glassing prior to season.

You are always welcome to help in any of my camps!

Back
Top Bottom