Trying to give a tag to my grandpa

rydub01

has anybody had any success transferring a tag to a family member? i know it cant be done as an every year thing because people would abuse it but how about to a grandfather who doesn't have many years left and is slowing down fast? he's 82 and had major open heart surgery 2 years back. he's got slim to no chance of drawing a tag in the next ten years and by then it would be too late. im a young buck and have been lucky when it comes to drawing tags so id much rather him get one last elk hunt in.

Transferring a tag will be tough and a major pain..if DWR will do it at all. To many rules and red tape. No way to do it and keep your points if that's why you wish to transfer the tag...NO saving your points because you already have the tag IMO.

I would suggest that at your Grandfathers age and health if you can. Just take him on the hunt quietly and just let him shoot the elk and you tag it.

Your Grandfather will need someone along every minute anyway. Just carry the weapon and hand it to him for the shot.

Good luck what ever your decision.

))))------->

Won't happen. I have a friend who tried to get the dwr to give his tag to his son because it was his sons first year to hunt and he didn't draw. Dwr said no way. Kinda sucks.

I agree it kinda sucks, but I also see why the dwr says no.

+ 1 To just lettin the gun be on his shoulder.

I hope you worked it all out on what to do for your Grampa.
Tell him good luck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'd wager your grandpa would feel proud to be along on your hunt and watch you shoot a bull. He'd probably enjoy it more than shooting his own. So take him with you, go only where he can go, and make the hunt about the companionship. Might have to shoot a smaller bull, but the memories outgain any tape measure. Of course, that is just my 2cents.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I am with packout on this one. If you want to do your Grandpa a favor just let him tag along and cater your hunt to his conditioning and ability. Although you would like to see him shoot one more animal, I imagine shooting is not all that important to him. I am also willing to bet he would never ask his grandson to break the law or give up a tag just so he could shoot. The older we get the more the journey means vs. the end result.

Best of Luck on your hunt!

Plus 1 and agree with what Packout stated. Take him and enjoy the hunt and the memories you and your grandpa will make and have!!!

thanks for the input. he is coming with me so it should be fun regardless of who's pulling the trigger. just thought id ask if anyone in a similar situation has tried.

It's against the law to redistribute any general season tag. If its an LE tag, then unfortunately the law states it goes to the next in line because you'd technically have to surrender it.

>
>It's against the law to redistribute
>any general season tag. If
>its an LE tag, then
>unfortunately the law states it
>goes to the next in
>line because you'd technically have
>to surrender it.

Thanks, Columbo.

Thanks Columbo haha that's hilarious, im gonna second the thought to take him along and enjoy some time outdoors around the campfire telling stories

why dont you guys talk to a few cwmu's or a few private areas in colorado, get a few of you together and pool your money together for him a hunt. ill bet some cwmus may have a management type hunt that is a bit cheaper. or you can get a decent hunt in colorado for a couple thousand. thas your best best imo

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom