unit 10 in trouble

G

GHOSTINTHEWOODS

anyone else live around or spend time in unit 10?
seems to me the deer numbers just keep crashing, been shooting some coyotes over there and aren't seeing crapola for deer numbers compared to the years past. seems they just kept getting worse and worse but this year is just plain sickening.

They kill way to many does and have way to many elk. I spend alot of time in that unit and have seen the deer go way downover the last four years. I even swapped units for deer because of the lack of numbers and I have acess to some very good private ground to hunt.

I also agree seems like the deer numbers are just lower than I can ever remeber. Seems to me that all the deer have went south to unit 21.

Not sure of the numbers of deer to expect, but I hunted the 3rd rifle for a buck deer and was not disappointed in the number of does and bucks seen. How many deer would you expect to see in normal years? Looking up on the CDOW website it does look like they deem a problem as they have no doe licences for the last two years (06,07) and only a few in 2005.

In terms of big bucks, Unit 10 or Unit 21?

Say, 8-10 years ago on the 3rd season hunt you would see probably 200 deer probably 20-25 of those would be more mature bucks. and later in the year there is 20 miles of highway that you usally see nonstop deer, 100's, seen only a doe and fawn the other day. as far a big bucks I'd have to say there is a better chance in 21, ya there are big bucks still in 10 but few and far between. we used to own some dang good land up there, and it's just scarry to see what it is now compared to what it used to be.

Hopefully it will get back to those days. On average I saw 20-25 does and 8-10 bucks a day with 3-4 being 4pt or better. I did like that only 40 some hunters were in the unit with myself during that season.