Unit 10 this year?

So whats the new news with unit 10 and all the talk about the Boquillas ranch closure/new rules. I heard they were changing things this year, but haven't heard for sure those changes are finalized or when they are supposed to be. I finally after years of applying as a resident got drawn archery bull, and now I'm unsure how to go about planning for my hunt. I'm not sure if I can access the ranch or will be able to in the future, not sure about trail cams, water holes may not be a strategy this year with some of the proposed rules. I'm just not sure how to proceed. What do some of you on here think about the situation and how would you proceed this year if you had this tag?

As of recently, the access agreement still has not been signed by all parties. G&F has reported, last we talked, that they were on the 54th revision. Game cameras, blinds (both natural and manufactured), tree stands and hunting within 100yds of water would all be prohibited , along with some other provissions. You would have access for a fee (paid before you enter the ranch) at last I saw $60 per person. Nothing has been finalized yet and all parties are working diligently on a resolution...be patient.

how much of this ranch is all private in this unit? is it all private or is it checkerboard land, with grazing allotments etc etc?

Boquillas Ranch is about 500,000 acres private deeded and 225,000 state trust lands.

However if you check the roads situations, almost ALL of the roads going into the ranch are through private property. And remember in AZ you CANNOT trespass through private property to reach public lands!

Therein lies the problem.

We will see what happens when the access situation is finally hashed out.

In the mean time enjoy the freedom of running all over the place, cause it is going to come to an end!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Hey Don, Just a quick question regarding these changes.. Who is gonna inforce these rules? AZGFD? Sheriffs dpt? Or the cowboys on the ranch?

Thx
Eric

Eric:

From what I understand, the AZ G&F is going to enforce those rules and regulations, once they are finalized.

That kind of surprises me as it means that a govt agency and their personnel will be enforcing the rules of a private entity/(Cholla Land and Cattle Company). I have heard that the Navajo Nation is going to let Cholla be in charge of the access program, but that is just unsubstaniated information I heard.

I do understand however that since this is a joint agreement between the Commission, Department and the landowners (Navajo Nation) I can see how they can do it.

Kinda wondering when all of this is going to take place.

AS you know, hunting seasons are soon to be here and waiting until the last minute to implement new rules isn't good for the hunters--or the ranch.

Kinda interesting to see where this is going.

Wonder who is "dragging their feet" on this? OR have all parties agreed to wait until AFTER this year's hunts?

There are only three players in this "game". G&F, Navajo Nation and the Cholla Land and Cattle Company.

Don Martin

So AZGFD with our tax, licence and tag etc money is going to pay for enforcement of private property rules that dont exsist anywhere else in the state to enhance and protect a private entities pocketbook all in the name of access to PUBLICLY owned wildlife that spend a good chunk of time on public land??? Interesting. Does the dept. not think that every landowner in the state is watching this.... Once this passes what is to stop the next ranch, say the Babbitt, to do the same? Except they will put there own rules say $100 or more to tresspass and no rifle hunting and no guides! After all, the AZGFD backed the "BO" private demands so if they dont get behind the babitts demands.... bam.... lawsuit!!! I have been blessed to once again have an archery bull 10 tag this year and so does my10 yr old daughter on her first rifle cow elk hunt and while i do think these rules will help to squash some of the crowds on the BO I am not in favor of this agreement for what will inevitably will spread throught the entire state and make hunting and pay big to play state....

There are other ways to deal with this access issue unfortunatly the AZGFD has its mind made up. sad sad sad.....

Eric:

From what I hear this has already been done, down in Southern AZ someplace.

I was just told that the agreement has been signed by Cholla and right now it is on the desk of the folks at the Navajo Nation.

Don Martin
AWO

Yes...Any updates? I have been watching this thread intently because I have a early archery Bull Elk tag.
Also, The game management unit hunt map for unit 10 is unclear to me as to what ranch is what. The Oden, Aja, Goldtrap and Blair ranches do not allow hunting, and I cannot identify them on my maps. Googling gives info on the ranches, but no coordinates. Does anyone know of a different map that Identifies all these ranches?

game and fish sells one that has them all broke down into sections. I highly recommend if you have not hunted 10

As of this time, still no signed agreement. I heard that it was sitting on the desk at the Navajo Nation, that G&F and Cholla had already signed it, but at this point, who knows?

Maybe all the folks with Unit 10 tags this year MIGHT get another free ride,

It is not a matter of IF it will happen, only WHEN!

In the meantime enjoy the access.

Don Martin

OH, I've heard that there is no Boquillas Ranch cleanup this year sponsored by the Mohave Sportsman Club. That is good news for the THOUSANDS of sportsmen who NEVER showed up over the 20+ years to help the few of us that did show up over the years to make an effort to keep the place open for FREE! (sorry, just one of my pet peeves about sportsmen always squirming and squealing AFTER the fact)

>game and fish sells one that
>has them all broke down
>into sections. I highly recommend
>if you have not hunted
>10

Yes, I have that game management unit 10 map, but the ranch sections are named different than Oden, Goldtrap, Aja and Blair Ranch. So, my question was, which section is each of these ranches?

Hey Don,

Would you kindly give us a vegetation growth and moisture report for 10 and 9. Is it as dry as the maps show it to be so far?

Thanks in advance.

It is dry out there. Spotty spring snow/rain..some tanks already going dry..Not looking real good right now...

Kinda makes me glad my lady friend and I have Depot tags....

Still any Unit 10 elk tag is a good one, no matter what!

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON May-27-13 AT 06:49AM (MST)[p]>Still any Unit 10 elk tag
>is a good one, no
>matter what!
>

X2

10 is always good. just sometimes better than others.
Thanks for the update. Don

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom