UNIT 101-109

HUNTINFORLIFE

Does anyone know what kind of deer the late archery tag is producing. I think i am going to try and draw that tag next year. any pics of bucks from the past from here would be awesome.

I would be interested to know this info as well. HUNTINFORLIFE how many points does it take to draw this tag usually? We had mid rifle tags this year and it was tough hunting for sure. Found a couple decent ones but we hunted hard for em.

}}-SLIVER-->

huntingforlife- Ruby mnt bucks are Ruby mnt bucks no matter what time of year it is, they have poor genetics if you want big heavy horned high scoring deer, lots of willow horns and older 3 points or 3 by 4 racks.

The deer just come down late and get stupid rutting, but its a bow hunt and the does aren't that stupid, there is a fair amount of private land down low, keep that in mind when you make your choice.

Had the tag a few years ago. Lots of bucks but not a lot of good bucks. If your looking for a fun hunt with no shortage of action and willing to take something in the 140-160 range can't go wrong with this hunt.

Whatever happened to this guy's genes...kinda faded away over the years...or is it possible to "hunt out" genetics? This is a pic of Walter, who once upon a time lived and hung out around Lamoille, NV. Surely he bred more than a few does before he met his demise...not exactly a "willow horn".:)
1016nv-walter_the_lamoille_buck.jpg

Look at the post "Beast from the past" I believe that one is the Gardner buck and he was taken in the Ruby mnts, he makes Walter look kind of small.
Those aren't the norm though, and for some reason heavier horned bucks were more common in the past, yet even in the best of times Ruby bucks usually lacked the deep forks and mass that high scoring deer normally have.

The Ruby mnts have always had good numbers of deer, so Im not sure its just because the buck numbers are lower? or because hunting pressure is more intense.
Im inclined to think the wetter climate and better forage in the good old days has more to do with the apparent decline than anything, and that probably goes for much of the west.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-13 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-13 AT 04:37?PM (MST)

That's a really good buck, I have been hunting there since the mid seventies, some day I will scan some pre digital photos and post some pics.

Look at the record books, compare deer populations, harvest quotas and record book entries from the past, I don't mean B and C because there have only been a few Ruby deer that have ever been entered in there, look at the Nevada book.

Ya that was my point too. I know guys who live there and pull book bucks all the time. Nevada book, missed B&C the last 5 years straight. They are there, but even with snow the big ones are always around 9500. Last year the biggest buck we saw was up there in knee deep snow and made a damn bed in it. Crazy when you see that through a spotting scope year after year!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom