unit 113 Elk

chipc

Very Active Member
There was a lot of talk about this unit prior to the season. I was just curious if it lived up to the hype. Anyone know ? Thanks. Chip

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-10 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]In my opinion this unit does not live up to the hype. We hunted hard and only found one decent bull (around 340). Talked to many other hunters and they had similar experiences. Bulls were hard to find and not many big bulls to be had. I am sure they are on the unit but we couldn't find them. Wound up taking home a small six-point. We hunted the first part of the season, lots of people. I don't understand why the cow hunt and the bull hunt go at the same time. If they were to have the cow hunt later I think it would be a better hunt. Again, in my opinion, this unit is over-hyped and is not the best in the state. With that being said, we did have a great time and we did harvest a six-point.

Bigbuckman it sounds like you were hunting public land, is that right? All the hype I heard before the draw was that the best/most Elk would be found on some of the many private ranches and that there was not much good public hunting areas in the unit.
I would think that if the areas genetics are decent and with there only being 30 or so tags issued every 3 years, that there would have to be some mature bulls running around. You just may have to pay a tresspass fee if you dont have access to the prime ground.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-10 AT 10:03AM (MST)[p]I was hunting private ground. The largest and most recommended ranch on the unit.
I am also curious to know how other hunters did. Hopefully we will start seeing a few pictures.

I antelope hunt the unit some years. I have seen a much better than 340 bull on public land. I've not heard back from a guy I gave the location of the bull to so that I can see if he was taken. He may have been winterkilled as I did not get into the area last year to know he was still there.

Pat C.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom