Unit 125

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
Just want to see if any of you have ever drew unit 125 deer in the past and how you did? I put in for it this year with 3 points and the special and from what I can tell I should draw it, I am just checking to make sure I am not just going to blow my points for nothing.

A buddy drew it about 5 years ago, not sure if anything has changed.

He had a great time and took a 160 class buck, he hunted hard and decided that was about as good as it was going to get.

A lot of locals swear by that unit, but I think it's like any other area in that you have to hunt hard and get a little lucky to get a real monster. There are supposed to be pretty decent bucks there, but it's big country and I haven't hunted it yet. How big a rack are you hoping to shoot?

I also applied for this tag with one less then max on a special. I think 160+ is very realistic from what I have read about this unit, and heard from my guide last year who has hunted it. plus its in the rut. with a little weather you could kill a dandy!

Stay in Worland and hunt WEST young man!

It can be a cold MO-FO and the wind....geez....

Double check in July the WIA as there have been some good ones in the past...

Robb

We hunted it a couple years ago. It is a frustrating hunt for most. The walk-in gets hammered and the broken country holds few deer. There are many deer along the rivers, but the great majority is private and no access. Ended up killing a 150 class, but were lucky to have done that. The other hunters we met had killed small 2 year old bucks and hunted hard. You have unit 127 to the South which is a general season unit that gets pounded. 118 is to the West and the deer numbers there are way low. Getting migrating bucks into 125 happens, but not as much as one might think. I am not an expert by any means, but I researched it a lot and used friends up that way to give input. You might shoot a 170 if you are lucky, but I wouldn't pass a 150.

Not trying to be a downer for you, just realistic. 10-15 years ago, 125 was one of the best sleeper units in WY. Too bad we all didn't know about it then. Have fun and enjoy the experience.

i spent 8 days last november in 125, glassing daylght till dark and this is about the beat buck i could find. i didnt pull the trigger, a fun hunt {but arent all hunts fun} but i was looking for a bigger buck than this . this is the second time i hunted the unit, also in 2003. all i can say is i worked pretty hard at finding a good buck and failed. i dont think i will try to draw it again. Larry
5485wyoming_4_124.jpg

That buck has some character with the height of the back tines! A lot of guys would probably pop him in a NY minute!!! He should be a good one this year if he made it through the season last year after you passed on him!

he made it through the season. that was second to last day and i was in the same general area the last day.
yea, it does have character, but i get pretty picky when the freezers are full.

Nice 2-3 year old buck. I just can't see spending almost max points to shoot one. mdBrown, it sounds like we had a comparable experience. Glad you had a good time, as did we.

as the poster above said, most find this hunt pretty frustrating; have hunted it many times over the years, and, it takes time to find the little micro areas they like to hang out in. For the most part, very low deer densities, except along the gooseberry creek.

best bucks are in the badlands; but, that is also were the deer densities are the lowest. most people hunt it once or twice then give up on it.

average buck age has steadily declined over the years also; it wasn't unusual to find 7 1/2 year old bucks back in the 90's.

it has gotten some notoriety in the last year because Huntin' Fool put it back on its list; some pretty frustrated folks there this year.....thinking they were going to find a 180 buck just driving around.

Still sounds good to me! If I draw it, If I have to I will pay a guide or just pay the trespass free to some rancher and I will still be happy with a 160+ Deer and if I have to hike in 4 or 5 miles, well its still hunting! beats the hell out of sitting at home and wondering (What if)

most of the private ground is in some pretty thin strips along gooseberry creek; most of the unit is public ground; I have no doubt you could kill a 160 buck (or better) on private, but, you are going to literally be shooting next to the ranchers house. If that is the kind of hunt you are looking for, you should be able to find a trespass fee hunt that would work.

the few people who do guide in the unit actually go out into the badlands for the most part as that is where the biggest bucks are. Some of the better public ground areas in the unit are pretty well known by now; and, unfortunately, people set up their camps right in the middle of the prime areas; there were 4 camps in there this year that were in the middle of the best area; the roads in the unit never used to bother the deer because they gave out so few tags and nobody every camped back there; but, over the years the hunters have congregated into the best area; that area no longer holds the deer or bucks that it used to because of all the camps and congestion. You now have big 5th wheels in there, wall tents, etc etc. 7 or 8 years ago, you never saw a camp back in there as most people would camp down lower, or stay in town and drive out in the morning.

I guess I just don't understand setting up a big camp with 8 guys and 43 four wheelers right in the middle of the prime area???

I killed a nice deer out there 3 years ago, last year and this year I didnt draw. I really spent a lot of time out there the last few even without a tag keeping my eye on some of the better areas I found. I didnt go near gooseberry, just stayed out in the badlands. The difference from this year with my dad and his tag to 2 years ago was night and day.

Tons of camps way in the good country, tons of people for the most part. The year I had the tag I saw one guy, we passed several bucks that were in the 140 - 150 range. I oontinue to put in but was a little disappointed with the pressure this year. I am going to probably look into a couple of other little holes out there away from the people, It definatly makes a difference in the badlands to be away from the traffic.

I've hunted it a couple times and I have to say huntin fool kinda exagerated the size of the bucks a bit. It is fun since they are rutting but 150 class bucks are good in this unit and there are a few bigger. I know someone who lives there and has killed lots of nice 170 class bucks but he lives there. Try to hunt the last 5 days as this will help. Good luck and have a fun hunt.
Mike

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom