Unit 13 Elk

Schleppy

Well I struck out in the draws this year and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a LO UW 13 Archery tag. I understand this is a difficult hunt because of the low elk concentrations on public land but I'm looking for an opportunity for 300+ bulls. I've been studying maps and researching this unit as much as I can.

If anyone is willing to give me some more insight on this unit before I commit I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Somebody will probably disagree, but in my opinion, you won't be running into any bulls of that caliber in 13.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

unless you have time to be in the unit for a while before your hunt then it will be tough sledding. there are 300+ bulls and a few 350+ bulls in the unit, but it is down in quality from a few years ago. 15 has more elk and if 300+ is your goal then this would be easier than 13 for a guy who has never hunted either of these units. tag prices fairly similar also.

Don

You might have an advantage with a Ranch Only tag, depending on the ranch (many good water holes are on private). The Unit Wide archery hunt would be tough unless you know some secret spot. There will be a lot of competition for the not-so-secret spots.
Good Luck!

You guys aren't painting a pretty picture. Sounds like lots of hunters and few elk on the public land.

I was looking at 15 also I just haven't seen alot of tags available. Anybody know of any?

This may have not been the best time for this thread with the other debates going on in the NM forum but I appreciate the info.

Adam

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-10 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]Schlep,
They are being honest about 13 that is all. You can go a week without seeing an elk but when you do run into one it will most likely be a monster of course that depends where you are at. It is a very hard unit to hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-10 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]As stated they on craigslist now and in Alb. journal.I live near 13 and as stated the known spots are known...except the ones I know. 15 has alot more elk.I know a great outfitter there. So do alot of units farther north,and they are cheaper.You have to be very good or lucky to get a 300+ bull anywhere!!Good Luck and Good Hunting!!

i hunted there 2 years ago and had no problems hammering a 340 bull in his bed in what appeared to be his winter range at the end of the first day on the first muzzy hunt. to top it all off it was in the middle of a hurricane. i think anyone with excellent knowledge of elk hunting and has a muzzleloaer can take 340 bulls easily. its a great unit for guns but the archery hunt blows. if u want a good chance at a 330 to 350 bull on 13 i would call the guys on the montosa ranch. just my two cents

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Guys on the Montosa are great people, but I don't think they do cow hunts or managment hunts. Pretty much trophy bulls. expect to pay 10K for a 1X1 guide/hunter.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom