Unit 15 Muzzleloader Elk

baerman

Found out I drew the Oct 15-19 season last week and can't stop thinking about this fall. I'm in the process of gathering as many resources as possible so that I can scout via the web, topo maps and google earth. I'll be coming from Idaho and will not have time to scout the area with exception of arriving three to four days early to look at some key areas that I've pin pointed on the maps. Any information any of you are willing to provide would be much appreciated. I hear from most it's a great unit/hunt and others have the opposite opinion. I'm hoping they are just jealous.

Many Thanks!

I DREW THE SAME HUNT AND FROM WHAT I HEAR THERE IS ALOT OF ELK IN THAT UNIT I NEED INFO TO I USUALLY APPLY UP NORTH BY THE WAY IM A NATIVE IM FROM ALBUQUERQUE IM STILL IN SHOCK HOW MANY TAGS DID YOU PULL WE GOT 3

we got the same hunt as you guys wanted to go scout in september but drew a antelope tag and a week later i will be on my brothers and nephews oryx hunt maybe the first part of october

I'm looking to pick up a landowner tag but now I'm worried the unit is going to be charred by the time the hunts roll around. anyone have any idea how close the wallow fire is to unit 15. The best I could tell on a map was that it was pushing the western border of the unit now and the article said that it was only 6% contained. That was last week and haven't heard anything since. Anyone know?

I am in the same boat. Very excited about drawing the 15 tag, but quite worried about the fire. If anyone has any info on where things are at I would appeciate it.

I was on a ML mulie hunt in 15 the end of September a few years ago and I wonder why anybody would say anything negative about elk hunting it. We were about 10-12 miles northeast of Apache Creek as high as you could get because it was in the 90s, so none of the animals were moving much. Bulls were with the cows then and they were starting to bugle. I would think the ML hunt the first half of October would be good if the weather is cool and the fire doesn't go through the whole unit. I would presume a lot of animals have moved into 15, as well the northern part of 16 ahead of it and many will probably not go back into AZ for a while.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-11 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]Here are what the average bulls looked like in unit 15 2 years ago.

3915elk20hunt20063.jpg

I like a few of those average bulls. You should see some of our average bulls in Colorado! Looks like the wind could have a huge impact on the fire! Let's hope that thos eon the ground and the air are prepared for this. Any new info on the fire is appreciated.

I drove up thru the Gila and 15 Tues. Tons of smoke,tons of elk out in the day. All forest roads closed due to the fire.They have done a great job keeping it out of NM for the most part.Back fires set near Luna worked.So far.Quemado has had a couple of clear days for the first time in weeks,but the bad winds and the heat have come back. Hoping for monsoons,but not much chance for at least a week...

Looks like the wallow fire containment is at 56%. Seems like a ton of progress considering the dry and windy conditions i had heard about!

Thanks for all the input guys! Looking I'm not one for wishing my life away but I wish it was Oct 15 tomorrow! Good luck in your hunts!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom