Unit 15 November hunt

WesternSky

Hey guys
I found out that I drew a late november unit 15 bull tag. I am super stoked. This is the first out of state hunt that I have ever done.

Question is, where should I start? I've reviewed maps and google earthed it. I like what I see.

I am looking for a 350+ class bull. I know this is a tall order but I have shot a 365 in CO(now that a tall order!) and I would like to take a super bull. I will be passing on 330 and smaller bulls.

I feel like I am an above average hunter and I will hike into steep and deep if I know opprituniy exists.

How will the november hunt be in regaurds to finding elk and the weather.

Any help???? PS I know a lot about western CO deer and elk ;)

Congrats on your tag. I hope you hunt is a memorable one. There is plenty of steep and rugged country, but big bulls can be found throughout the unit which also has a lot of easy country. Take a look at the Mangas Mountain and Fox Mountain areas. Also, Slaughter Mesa and around Apache Creek. There really are big bulls from one corner to the next in this unit, but they typically do not come easy. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Congrats on your draw, it is a great area. Weather can be shirtsleeves or a foot of snow. I have experienced both in November in this area.

>spell check is where you should
>start. jk

Hey JD, you're jealously is showing. U said the tag was too expensive for u to put in . Your going to regret that when u see the picture I send on Nov 22!

Let's hope for something in the middle. A nice fresh blanket of 3" deep snow to make spotting and tracking easy.

Should I bring the atv to access areas faster or for traveling muddy roads?

see pats post!

ATV can help there are lots of roads but some are rough as hell. There is some good bulls but if wanting a 350+ bull or nothing be prepared for nothing. I would guess out of the 100,000+ acres there is supposed to be 5000 head with a 35 to 100 bull to cow ratio that means 1750 bulls further split it down I would say that leaves 875 bulls with 2+ years 400 bulls at 4+ years 145 at 6+ years which only leaves about 40 that will be at the 350+ mark. So is there that class of bull there you bet I have seen a few in that unit.

>>spell check is where you should
>>start. jk
>
>
>Why post if you have nothing
>help him with????

Rug, I am trying to help him become a better speller. Ha Ha, is "speller" a word? He is my buddy and I was trying to keep his post at the top so someone who knows the unit will actually see it and help him. If I could just get him to help find some deer on the Western Slope of Colorado. Ha Ha

>>>spell check is where you should
>>>start. jk
>>
>>
>>Why post if you have nothing
>>help him with????
>
>
>Rug, I am trying to help
>him become a better speller.
> Ha Ha, is "speller"
>a word? He is
>my buddy and I was
>trying to keep his post
>at the top so someone
>who knows the unit will
>actually see it and help
>him. If I could
>just get him to help
>find some deer on the
>Western Slope of Colorado.
>Ha Ha

OK LOL lets get it back to the top. Rug

I hunted the unit a few years ago on the early hunt. I checked into some of the areas mentioned above and they were worth it. I was surprised at the lack of scouting by most people - most hunters showed up the night before the season. Bring the ATV it will be helpful. Generally speaking it is an easy unit to access. It is actually difficult to find an area more than a few miles from a road or trail. When I was there getting in deep wasn't necessary, but for the late hunt it may be after they are pressured. Best of luck.

Thanks for all the help so far including Rug and that lousy JD33 for bumping the post.

Sounds like there are plenty of possible areas across the unit. Let ask me ask this then. I like to set up on vantage points and let my swarovskis do the work. Sit there, find a 380, hike over to it and punch the tag.(simple right?? I wish). Are there any notable locations where I can set up and glass a lot of good country???

Also, it looks like there is a bunch of flatter,P&J, BlM land in the north west portion of the unit. In colorado, this is sometimes, the only type of country to find a decent bull. What do you think of this area in Nov. Is there any vantage points in this country??

Vantage points were limited where I hunted. The ones that we used we ended up glassing timbered areas - maybe 25% of the area being open.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom