Unit 15

elkhuntin247

My daughter has a youth 15 muzz tag October 6-10. We were wondering if it is worth picking up a bear tag? We only want to focus on the elk hunt but she would love to take a bear if the chance presented itself. What is the likelihood of seeing any bears? Thanks

I've hunted that unit a couple times during the second archery hunt. I've seen a couple nice bears always late in the evening. I was always more than busy with the elk so never thought about trying for one. My answer is maybe? If you really want to kill a bear I would have one in my pocket. If you really want to kill a bull I wouldn't worry about it and just focus on them. Should be an awesome hunt.

Thank you for the responses. I'm always a sucker for having tags in my pocket. I think I will get her a bear tag and only worry about it if one presents itself. Thanks

I would watch the harvest quota for the unit. It probably won't be filled before October but it is possible. No reason to waste money on a tag that you can't use.

>I would watch the harvest quota
>for the unit. It probably
>won't be filled before October
>but it is possible. No
>reason to waste money on
>a tag that you can't
>use.

X1

Just remember to give yourself enough time before the hunt. From the time you buy the license it takes 2 weeks for the G&F to mail the carcass tag. Try calling to see if you can go into a G&F office and buy the license and get the tag at the same time.

Just returned from opening weekend with a friend in Unit 15. Didn't see any bears for the first time ever while up in those woods. Also the elk seem to be behind schedule, they are not talking at all. I didn't hear one bugle the entire weekend. It is looking like the second Archery season and the Muzzle loader tag recipients are in for a great year hopefully. I wish your daughter the best of luck.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-18 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]Hey Big, Im headed there on friday to help a buddy last minute. Never been there before, should we drop came out of Luna or Cruzville?

Hey Big, Never been to the unit and got called by a buddy to help him hunt 15. Whats the more productive area to run a small camp out of? Luna or the trailer park in Cruzville? any help is appreciated

I have not hunted elk around either of those towns so I am not any help to determine if one is better than the other. Sorry, but I wish your friend the best of luck.

I just returned again from 15 and things are still slow but are slowly picking up. The 2nd archery hunt should be extremely good this year.

That would be much appreciated. My daughter and I are really getting excited for the hunt. I sure hope they are still screaming for the youth hunt. Still also thinking about that bear tag. I will probably just buy it on the way ay down if quota hasn't filled. Good luck to everybody in the last couple days of First archery and on the second archery hunt!

Not sure if you understood the post about the carcass tag. You just can't buy it on line at the last minute right before you go on your hunt. It takes the Game and fish 2 weeks to get your tag sent to you. I don't know why the hell it takes that long maybe they print them and send them from China. I would think that they would let you wait till a couple days before to check if the quota if filled before allowing you to go to the office and pick it up. But I would not be surprised if they made u buy it 2 weeks ahead of time then tell you a day before the hunt that the quota has been filled.

You have 2 buy the tag 2 days before hunting. Our walmart in Hobbs had the carcass tags on hand so no 2 week wait like there would be online

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom