Unit 17 archery bulls?

copple2

Howdy guys! Anyone hunting NM 17 with archery tackle been successful yet? Would love to hear how its looking so far. I have the first muzzy tag for 17, and can't wait! One month to go.

copple2

I just got back from 2nd archery. I hunted the upper end of Big Pigeon Canyon. The bulls were screaming like crazy, but they were not in a fighting mood quite yet. I could get them to answer my bugles, but they would not move. Had some luck locating them with bugles and then stalking in, but never got closer than 80 yards. I would guess that the rut will be in full swing by your hunt. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-12 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]Thanks for sharing, guys! How exciting. If you have any fun pics to share, post 'um up...especially if there is a 400+ on the ground!

copple2

Here is a pic of a bull that we took in 17 on the second archery hunt.

6994theelk.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-12 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]nmhunter79, well done! That's a great bull!

Did you see many other bulls as good as the one you guys took? Thanks for sharing!

copple2

Thanks, we did see some really good bulls. Did not run into to many hunters. It was a good hunt. I think you have a good chance at finding a good elk for sure.

I sure hope so! We will find out in a few weeks!

Any 3rd season archery guys having any luck?

copple2

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-12 AT 01:44PM (MST)[p]Here is the bull I was able to harvest on the Muzzy hunt. It was super fun. The 'ol T/C did the job at 115 yards.

50022012_nm_elk.jpg

copple2

Nice bulls.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I didn't see many deer at all. A handful of does and one small buck in 7 days on the unit. I wasn't really looking for deer, though. Sorry I don't have much for you.

copple2

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom