Unit 17 Bull Elk late Oct

UpToNoGood

I was lucky enough to get Mature Bull for unit 17 late Oct this year. I have my mind set on the San Mateo range but don't know it very well. Any tips on where to start scouting?

I was lucky enough to get Mature Bull for unit 17 late Oct this year. I have my mind set on the San Mateo range but don't know it very well. Any tips on where to start scouting?
Says your from unit 17 on your profile ??
Efnm offers some wide words !

Absolutely - if you are in Magdalena then intel should be easy to get and you can probably see bulls from your house. Start finding the water tanks that have water and then learn the areas around them.

95% of the hunters you will be competing with won't want to climb more than 500' of elevation or hike more than a mile. It's worth the work.

climb and glass the roughest stuff you can find near a good water source. That hunt is all about how good you are with glass and if you can shot better then avg. Shots can be long as hard to stalk in were some of the bulls go.

as far as deer I have seen more deer in 17 on the youth hunt then the other 5 units we have hunted deer in. Plenty of deer around and a nice 4x4 is very doable on the youth hunt. This deer taken 4 years ago in 17

IMG953130_0001_0001_0001.jpg

Yeah I already know that most of the NM hunters are not leaving the vehicle unless they shoot something from the drivers seat. I like to get out and move from the crowd. So none of that is the issue. My current issue is learning the area and learning the water holes. I will start by going down hwy 60 and turn south towards Monica cabin and scout the area near Monica cabin.

Man I would start scouting near Kelly canyon and 30/30 hill. Hit all the nasty cuts that come off San Mateos and drain into Kelly Canyon

we always see bulls in this stuff. Super steep climbing. Pack in a stay once you get in there up high.

You will see some nice bucks in there too.

Also saw 5 black bears last year on my turkey hunt.

Man I would start scouting near Kelly canyon and 30/30 hill. Hit all the nasty cuts that come off San Mateos and drain into Kelly Canyon

we always see bulls in this stuff. Super steep climbing. Pack in a stay once you get in there up high.

You will see some nice bucks in there too.

Also saw 5 black bears last year on my turkey hunt.
Thanks for the tip but I have no idea where Kelly canyon and 30/30 hill is. Can you give me the general location so I can find it on google maps?

Sorry man.
Yeah head basically north up Monticello canyon. Take Burma road west up out of Monticello canyon. Follow said road East about a mile then head north on the forest service road. All those fingers in there are good.

Heading to Magdalena Unit 17 Sept. 12th for the second archery Elk season. If anyone would like to spread some insight, tips, tactics for this time in the area PM me some information I would surely appreciate it. Anyone going for the first archery season?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom