Unit 17 Elk Muzz

steelhead

I drew a unit 17 muzz. first season hunt this year. I can't wait to get down there and scout out a big bull. I would love to chat with someone who has had the tag before. Any one who would be willing to share some information with a fellow hunter would be greatly appreciated. Please PM. Thanks in advance.

I have hunted 17 for many years. Drawn Bull Tag once. I can tell you after four or five mule deer trips and a second season elk trip that if you miss the prime rut and you come in on the end of it you better be real good or real lucky. We had four hunters would go days without seeing a cow. Now that said I have been mule deer hunting in Prime rut and they are blowin snot and running around everywhere. Rut period makes or breaks this unit because it's all up when they leave the flats. Glass early, spot and be ready the next morning. The south and south east side of the unit hold tons of elk and are hunted barely at all. If you hunt on the east side you will be joined by all the camprground hunters crawling out of the woodworkaround to the North side. After light I would dive up into the mountains in the black timber range and move around until you can locate some sound.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom