Unit 17 Goats

OCHO

Drew 17 Antelope archery and wondering if anyone had any stories or pics to show for this unit!! Also if anyone has any areas or tanks to look at. I know this was a pretty dang good draw and considering it is not drawable every year I figure someone may want to drop so info... Rest assure I will be hittig the hills to scout but it is a lot of country! Thanks in advance!

I've seen antelope by the shooting range south of Socorro. I was AT the shooting range and probably 600-700 yards down range was a big antelope buck

I drew this unit with my bow about 4 years ago...i camped off the Monica Cabin road and hunted west toward the VLA, saw plenty of goats...there is a road just south of the highway (US60)which runs west-east from that forest road to NM52...i hunted that area...basically, the nw part of the unit...hope this helps

good luck

Drew this unit for Elk and after scouting the last 3 weekends I'm strongly considering not going hunting.
Most cattle lease holders in this unit have sold off they're stock, then turned "off" 90% of stock tanks which IMO is BS. Maybe someone can explain this reasoning to me.
As for your hunt , it's not the prize it once was, after several years of drought our Antelope herd has been crushed. Word of advice would be find the cattle and you'll find goats, if you can get permission to hunt on their private land.
Seriously ugly out there!!!

>Drew this unit for Elk and
>after scouting the last 3
>weekends I'm strongly considering not
>going hunting.
>Most cattle lease holders in this
>unit have sold off they're
>stock, then turned "off" 90%
>of stock tanks which IMO
>is BS. Maybe someone can
>explain this reasoning to me.
>
>As for your hunt , it's
>not the prize it once
>was, after several years of
>drought our Antelope herd has
>been crushed. Word of advice
>would be find the cattle
>and you'll find goats, if
>you can get permission to
>hunt on their private land.
>
>Seriously ugly out there!!!
Well I was figuring the lack of water would play a major role. The unit is huge and I will find em. Thanks for the information. I will make it happen none the less I would rather have a tag then be at home wishing...
As far as your tag brother be happy cause there's probably several people that would trade despite the circumstances!!good luck to all!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom