Unit 18 Mule Deer quality

Westburg1818

Hey guys I drew unit 18 mule Deer tag and was wondering if you guys show me the quality of bucks I should be looking for.. any other help would be greatly appreciated and if you are from around that area and would like to tag along you are more than welcome too.. pictures would be greatly appreciated.. I have yet to step foot in this country but my best friend grew up hunting whitetail up there and hasn't been up there for awhile. Any info is greatly appreciated thank you guys so much

Early or late hunt? They get as big as you want to work and wait for. I wouldn't shoot under 180". But depending on your time and ability to scout, etc., you'll have to set your own expectations.

That's the early hunt, I'd try to find a deer before the season if I had that tag and get it done early. If that's not an option get some good glass and get ready to sit long days behind it. It's a very hard unit physically, it's not a very hard unit to figure out what to do. Good luck, Hell's Canyon is a special place.

Ive seen some great bucks in years past. That’s the exception and not the rule however. Especially these days.

Get in the BEST shape you can possibly be in & then get in even better shape !! The hills & canyons in this unit will give you a whole new definition of STEEP DEEP & NASTY, get good at 300 + yard cross canyon shots & be effective out to 500 yards !! Take good glass find a comfy spot & sit & pick the other side of a canyon apart hike around & do the same to the other side, 1st & last light maybe you can catch one moving there is water in the bottom of most of these canyons & springs & seeps scattered every where . My son had this tag a few years ago the late tag he spent 2 weeks in there, had a few inches of snow put a lots of boot miles up & down . The only bucks he saw or we saw were down on the Riggins side on Private, Yes I am sure there are some Huge bucks in there but I cant tell you I have seen one taken in the last 5 years by anyone I know that has drawn that tag. If you have access to horses or mules or a couple of Pack Goats that can haul your gear down into some of the back side rolling hills that is where I would be !!! AND I would NOT pass on the 1st decent buck you see This unit is NOT what it used to be !!!

If you're seeing bucks on the Salmon side it's because you're looking into the Salmon side. Get down into the Hell's canyon side, they're in there. Not that there aren't deer on both sides, but why look at the private land, unless you have access?

JP's idea is good. Another, if you have a friend, is camp at Pittsburgh landing, get up early have your buddy drive you to the top and walk a different ridge back down to the Landing every day. In two weeks, you could walk a different route every day and probably not repeat any.

Jet boats seem like a good idea but you’re starting at the lowest possible point in country that’s beyond rugged and steep. I own one I run that river a lot. I don’t think I’d approach the hunt that way.

Jet boats seem like a good idea but you’re starting at the lowest possible point in country that’s beyond rugged and steep. I own one I run that river a lot. I don’t think I’d approach the hunt that way.
You could certainly get dropped at Kirkwood, or Granite Creek, and hunt up from the river. But it would commit you to a smaller area. I also have no idea how water flows affect that strategy.

You could certainly get dropped at Kirkwood, or Granite Creek, and hunt up from the river. But it would commit you to a smaller area. I also have no idea how water flows affect that strategy.
River is runnable in low flows. More forgiving than the salmon for instance. Granite itself will always present a considerable obstacle. Might be passable might not. If I were getting a boat involved it’d be from the top down. Meet me at X at a specific time. Logistics an issue. Also pick the wrong finger you’re kinda screwed lol.

I saw your comment on the thread about salmon zone elk tags and how you won’t be going back because the country makes you work for it. Prepare to work harder in unit 18 is all I have to say. Good luck
your funny brother I've bought that tag 4 times cause as a guide that what I had time for... I've put my miles in on that country it just never fared well for me

I f you don't have access to a jet boat, like was said before drive to the top of Pittsburg Saddle and camp at Pittsburg Landing, and hunt the ridges and try and get a leftover elk tag in the second draw, you will see alot of elk, and if you can shoot a whitetail on that tag, i would do that, there are some freaking monsters in there. Good Luck.

I have had that tag several times (including kids) as well as elk tags. I live there and i don't put in for it anymore. Not because of the work involved, but just a general lack of deer. There are lots on the salmon side , but generally on private. I have a jet boat and have ran up to Granite several times in November and not seen a single buck. I would stay high as that is where I do see the majority of the deer.
If you hit it hard, i guess i would not be surprised if you got a nice buck, but 180' seems a bit lofty. I don't think i have seen a 180 in several years out there. every once in a while I do hear of a big boy, but very rare.

Hunt hard in the areas discussed here and I bet you'll find a big mule deer or a big whitetail eventually. You will see way more elk than deer for sure but there are a few areas in there that I sure wouldn't want to make a dead elk. Have fun and enjoy! Hard to find a more unique place to hunt for sure.----SS

I have had that tag several times (including kids) as well as elk tags. I live there and i don't put in for it anymore. Not because of the work involved, but just a general lack of deer. There are lots on the salmon side , but generally on private. I have a jet boat and have ran up to Granite several times in November and not seen a single buck. I would stay high as that is where I do see the majority of the deer.
If you hit it hard, i guess i would not be surprised if you got a nice buck, but 180' seems a bit lofty. I don't think i have seen a 180 in several years out there. every once in a while I do hear of a big boy, but very rare.
I think this is fair assessment of a lot of the Central Idaho draw hunts. A lot of us remember when the draw odds were 25-30% or better and hunting to only see a 160-170" deer wasn't the end of the world because you knew you could go again. I'll never put in for any of those hunts again, because at 5-10% draw odds it's not worth it. There are still good deer around, but I can see 160" bucks in OTC units every year.

I think this is fair assessment of a lot of the Central Idaho draw hunts. A lot of us remember when the draw odds were 25-30% or better and hunting to only see a 160-170" deer wasn't the end of the world because you knew you could go again. I'll never put in for any of those hunts again, because at 5-10% draw odds it's not worth it. There are still good deer around, but I can see 160" bucks in OTC units every year.
the only reason I put in for this tag was because of the draw odds and I have always wanted to explore that country and hunt it as I drive past it to go fishing further north. the draw odds were 24 percent in 2022 so I thought why the heck not put in for it and look at me now going to explore the country that I have wanted to explore for a very long time I'm very excited to see what comes out of it I've seen pics of some 160-180 class deer come out of there last two years! I know they are in there and have watched videos and I've done a lot of research it seems like maybe the quality and population may have gone down but it still seems like if you put in the work, your work will be paid off . but its hunting so you never know and that's the fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that tag; it's just unlikely I'll ever apply for it again. There will always be good deer to be found in there, so go find them.

There is an extremely dominant 3 point/front crab claw gene in the southern portion of the unit. It's been a few years since I have drawn that tag, but opening week can be hectic. At least they changed the opener away from the elk opening, it used to be pandemonium on that opening day. Be prepared for winter, especially if you are going to be above marker 12 on the Seven Devils road.

It take a lot to get from 150-160 to 180.. and there are not many of that size in there. So no, If you are holding for 180 you probably won’t see one in that unit. 160 ya

There are not many at 180" anywhere. The point is that unit has the genetics to produce 200"+ deer, doesn't mean there is one this year; but there are plenty of places that could never do that. If I had a difficult to draw tag in a unit that can produce big deer I'd be willing to eat it. If he's willing to shoot a 150-160" he probably will.

I first hunted muleys in 18 in 2006. I hunted in there a lot for whitetails in the late '80's all through the '90's. It's been a controlled unit for muleys as long as I can remember. With the habitat that it offers, plus the controlled aspect of it, you would expect at least a few B and C bucks to come out of it. That's not the case. I'm sure that there are a few, but almost every OTC unit has a few. I think its a great study on how genetics really drive the quality of bucks in a given unit. Just like not every human is going to turn out to be a pro athlete, not every buck is going to turn into a 180-200 class deer. The unit probably reached it's pinnacle in the late '80's. The 3 point/crab claw gene in the southern portion is very real and if you spend any time in there, you'll see it. With all that being said, it's a fun unit to hunt . The scenery is second to none and the physical test is as miserable as you want it to be.

I agree with most of what you said. I can't say when the pinnacle was or will be, but I've seen a couple 200" deer come out of 18 in the last 20 years and a bunch of 180" deer. I've also seen a 200" deer that came out of 13 not far from the Pittsburgh landing road within the last 10 years. So the potential is there, which is all a hunter can really ask for, so many places can't produce that under any set of circumstances.

probably won’t be close to shooting if you are wanting 180 plus in that unit
no kidding! I have drawn that tag twice and so has my wife plus elk once and have spent a ton of time on the snake side of the unit. I saw 1 buck in all that time in there that was pushing 190" and I had a elk tag that year. Are there some big bucks in there? for sure, but there is some luck involved turning 1 up. I think it was the winter of 2015 that wiped out a ton of deer. I had a tag prior to that winter and there was a ton of deer. The second time drawing was the year after that winter and it was shocking to see how few deer there was in so much country. I ran trail cams in there and never turned up a 170 or better on them.

Don't worry about any of it. When Idaho fish and game is done wrecking unit 14 across the river, 18 will be next.

I was up there the last couple days looking around. Whitetails outnumbered the muleys 50/1 and the best muley buck I saw was a 20" 2x3. Good luck on the deer tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom