Unit 19 Youth Deer

StillLernin

Hi Everyone,

We recently moved back to CO, just in time for my son to turn 12 and get his first tag, but we have never hunted CO. I have attended the hunter's education with my son, attended the CPW seminar on applying for the draw, called the CPW Hunt Planer hotline, and spent countless hours pouring through the statistics on the CPW website, but nothing compares to actual experience in the field - you guys! Coming from Nevada, I have had to learn this completely different draw system, but feel like I have a grasp now.

I am looking at 2nd rifle deer in 9/19/191 and focusing on 19, as he has some time off of school around then so it would make logistics easier. I also think I will get an elk tag for the same season in 19 (although 1st season looks tempting...), which I would only focus on during the days he is back in school. This area looks like there is decent amount of public land, decent access to the wilderness areas, and relatively low hunting pressure. I'm just wondering what I am missing. One of the reasons I am focusing here is it looks like an area we can consistently draw tags for each year (deer now and elk as he gets older), so we can start to learn it while building a good foundation for his future in hunting.

Any input or advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. And as most of my experience is in Nevada, anything I can do to help your hunts there, I would gladly do.

Thanks!

StillLernin

It can be tough to learn, but once you do it can pay off!! I would really focus on the burn area for both deer and elk.. I am sure you can find a map somewhere that has the burn area on it and transfer it to a topo and go scouting!!

Thanks LoneWati! That is sort of the sense I get - that if you put in the effort it could work out. I am hoping to really build a foundation for my son to learn an area and hunt every year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom