Unit 22 bear hunt

elkboy32

Hi everyone. I stalk Monster Muleys on a daily basis, but don't post a ton. I sure do enjoy the forum though!

I was hoping for a little insight. I lucked out and drew the unit 22 bear tag after almost a decade of applying. I have had some friends who have had it in the past, so I have a few spots to start. But I was curious if anyone had any advice for me. I have taken a couple bears with my bow over bait, but this will be my first spot and stalk bear hunt.

Also, does anyone know what the current snow levels are looking like in 22? I have heard the hunt gets better in May, but with the early spring we are experiencing in central Idaho, I can imagine the bears will be moving earlier.

Any comments are very appreciated! Thanks in advance.

congrads on the tag NO snow except way up high & not much snow over 5000 feet Lots of bears in this country find the bared off slopes & look for wild onion patches & green grass. Be careful I would venture a guess that at least 85% of the country around Bear Cuprum is Private property.. I would suggest u take a trip & stop in at either the Bear or Lick creek OX ranch & see if they are allowing any hunters on their property they are the Biggest player of ground in 22 .. If they don't allow u access they may be able to head u in the right direction Good luck

Thanks for the tip! I will get ahold of the two ranches and see if they are willing to let me hunt on their property. I live 5 or so hours from the zone, so a scouting trip may not be in the works. I was planning on being there for around the opener, so i scout/hunt early in the season. I really appreciate you taking the time for your response!

Congrats on the tag! My buddy drew it last year and we were up around that area every weekend from now until May. No bears were out until the last week of April. This year I would be surprised if there weren't bears out now however. The OX Ranch won't let you hunt unless you have some money you're willing to spend. But there is plenty of public land around that area. Don't be afraid to stay in one spot and glass for a while. That's the one thing I would change was our patience with certain areas. There are tons of bears just about everywhere if your willing to look and be patient. Look for areas with the green grass and onion patches (purple flowers) but look for the darker stuff around that too. The bears don't just sit in the green grass to be found all the time. The biggest bear we saw was in green grass for about 15 seconds and was gone to never be seen again in the thick stuff. The OX has the most bears on it obviously because it is private land but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty to go around in other places. I would check the areas that border OX.... ;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom