Unit 23 ELK

Cookie2

Very Active Member
I drew unit 23 first hunt on a third choice. I had this same hunt five years ago and was into the elk but not too pleased with the total experience of the unit. Trying to figure out how much of the unit holds elk and where to start looking. I plan on making several trips over there this summer but would like to utilize my time wisely. Can/Would anyone give me some starting points as to where the extreme southern boundary would be to find elk? I know they won't be all the way to the southern border of the unit....

If you don't know the area you have no buisiness applying for the hunt. Where do guys like you come from. The woodwork in NM must be huge!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Kinda like buying a tag in another state and expecting a 400"+ bull right stinky?? I know a little about the unit just wanting to know how low the elk can be found. This is a TRUE "not asking for honey holes" post. Just general information to get headed in the right direction. I know an area already that will hold elk just looking to expand my options.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-09 AT 06:43PM (MST)[p]cookie.... my buddies drew the late archery hunt and i will be helping them this summer with scouting etc.. in fact i was there this weekend. i have never looked farther south than mule creek, but there are elk down that far at least. its a tough unit as you know, your scouting time will be well spent, especially for the early hunt if you can tie a big one up a few days before the hunt. for what its worth it looked reasonably green up there for june. i got lucky and drew 16a late archery hunt so i will be in the area alot, especially in late august and september until the hunt...

Just so you know, Cookie is always helpful when people ask about units he is familiar with. I can assure you he has helped a lot more folks than he has gotten help from.

Thanks Roado. That's all I'm looking for. Just starting places.
Paul, thanks for the vote of confidence.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom