Unit 23 NM

M

massivecoues

All,

I see the Gila is really hot and dry this year and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go in Unit 23? I drew the 2nd Archery Hunt and I am stoked to get an elk tag this year!! Any helpful advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hope for good monsoons,get away from roads and others. Lots of elk, but they get pressed by road hunters. Even the bow guys are it seems. Decent unit. Keep it that way.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]It is a great unit just put your time in and cover country... I would focus around Hanigan..

23 can be tough. North part of the unit, higher elevation, higher elk densities. Wallow fire burned in far NW portion of unit, should be worth checking out. Power line in north part of unit always has elk. Luna area has good densities, pressure from first hunt will disperse the elk though. Don't get discouraged if you aren't seeing many elk, keep looking and you might find a great bull. Southern part of the unit much lower elk densities, and private land issues, but with mega scouting you can find good bulls.

Expect plenty of company in accessible areas, but look for areas over the next ridge where some tag holders won't venture.

i hunted this unit last year. i will send you a pm with my number to call me on friday....

Jeez , no wonder I didn't draw it for a 3rd yr straight. guess the word is out. PM me for more info,but above posts sum it up.

We were down scouting a couple weeks ago for our muzzleloader hunt and most ponds in the area were bone dry. They started moving cattle up on top, south of luna. Saw some elk but nothing to brag about. Have seen some nice bulls in the past during our deer hunt, so now I'll probably see nice bucks during our elk hunt. ha ha

Drop a metal tank and haul in water, I'm sure you will find elk.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

PM returned! Thanks for all the advice! I will work hard to find a bull! Sounds like any bull is a good bull!!

Drop a metal tank and haul in water, I'm sure you will find elk.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]
Gator you have any current info on unit 23 in NM. I drew a MD muzzy tag. Been a long time since i have been there. Like 17 years. just looking for current info. Hunted around Alma back then.

23 can be tough. North part of the unit, higher elevation, higher elk densities. Wallow fire burned in far NW portion of unit, should be worth checking out. Power line in north part of unit always has elk. Luna area has good densities, pressure from first hunt will disperse the elk though. Don't get discouraged if you aren't seeing many elk, keep looking and you might find a great bull. Southern part of the unit much lower elk densities, and private land issues, but with mega scouting you can find good bulls.

Expect plenty of company in accessible areas, but look for areas over the next ridge where some tag holders won't venture.
This is as good as it gets for information on 23
I believe this year, water will be a key to your hunt finding water on Onx maps that is off the beaten path.
Find the trail that is having the most traffic coming and going and hunt way down that trail. or treestand/ Blind it where you can see a ways down it. Elk get spooky right round the water holes if they been hunted already.
I like cow decoy.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom