Unit 23

txjp

Starting to think about building points in AZ for elk looks like all the good units I will need around 10-15 points. I was on an outfitter website that hunted in 23 and looks like you could get a tag there with about 5 points. Does anyone know anything about 23. I could hunt there twice before I could hunt any of the other top units. I have deer hunted 27 and there where tons of elk but that is as close as I have been to 23.

Jason

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-11 AT 09:10PM (MST)[p]I don't know much about 23. Are you planning on archery or rifle, 1st or 2nd season? The late archery bull tag in there would probably take five or less points, or a late rifle bull would take 8-9 pts. Early archery would take much longer. There's plenty of good units south of Flagstaff that you could draw archery or rifle that would take less than 6 pts.

23 North will take 15-16 pts for archery bull first season. 23 South will take you 14 pts. Tough draw for first season in there.

You still have the luck of the draw.

I drew 23 late rifle about 5 yrs ago with 7 points (res). Then
drew again 2 yrs later for the late archery with 3 pts I believe( 1 bonus, 1 loyalty, 1 hunter ed). drew again for early archery in 23 south the following year with 2 points ( 1 loyalty, 1 hunter ed). drew again this past season for late archery with 2 points ( 1 loyalty, 1 hunter ed).

yeah, I know, but don't don't hate me, i went 13 years without getting a tag for anything, missed one year of applying and now I get drawn every other year.

turkeys are the same, got drawn 5 yrs in a row then zero tags for the last 4 yrs.

23 north and south are tough, if you've never been there then you will be in for a big challenge. extremely tough terrain is an understatement. I have bumped into many out of state hunters that have spent days in the zone and don't believe there are elk in it. good luck.

one more thing, in november of last year while helping a buddy on the late archery rifle hunt I met a guy who drew a late rifle tag for 23 with something crazy like 15 pts. Wow, evidently the guide he was in contact with recomended that hunt to him and he wasted all those points on a tag that most guys draw with only 3 or 4 points.

look up draw odds and you'll see his 15? point application. Stupid.

and yes, 1st post, I've been a lurker for years.

If its the guy I know that had a ton of points 15+, I'm not so sure I would call him stupid... He killed a mega bull. In fact, it was the largest bull taken in the unit last year, and he did it on a late hunt, including early archery and rifle..

I will say without mega time spent in the unit, one could get very frusturated to say the least.

1 non resident applied with 17 points for the 2010 late rifle. must be the same guy. Canon, got any pics of his bull?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-11 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]There have been some brutes (400+) taken on that late hunt, but a lot (not all) of the larger bulls are all broken up that time of the year and are a taxidermists dream!

Going in there cold turkey is asking for trouble, but those that know the unit do quite well.

One of my NR rifle hunters with 19 bonus points I think put in for the single early rifle tag, and I had a NR archer with a ton of points apply for the single archery tag available.

If they draw, I'd say they'll have the chance to get a "very good bull."

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

826don_martin_unit_6a_ml_9-29-2010.jpg

Maybe something like this or BIGGER! FYI, this is a bull I took on the muzzleloader hunt in Unit 6A last year.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-11 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]You can check out some pics of it and a couple short video clips of it right here

http://mossbackarizonahunts.blogspot.com/

Everyone i know seemed to have a tough time in the unit this year, I think the unit has taken a beating with all the increase in late rifle tags over the years.

Theres a few other big bulls to look at as well

Thanks

Myself and a friend hunted 23 late rifle last year. We are NR had 11 points. The unit is very tough, if you do not know it you had better get a guide. Most of the larger bulls were broken up.
This is a unit that the Devil would not live in, everything in the unit will make you bleed. We both took 340 class bulls, but we did pay a price in cuts and pokes from all of the plants.
We had a great time, but this hunt is not for the drive around
listen to the radio and hope to get a bull type of hunter.

+1 Rocknroll
It hard finding bulls that aren't broken up and the country is steep and nasty. It a good place to get out and work your ass off getting in some great places, So of the area's we couldn't even get a mule in to help pack out a elk if it was take. Be prepared to cover some rough ground.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom