Unit 23

K

Kaffer62

Was thinking of picking up a leftover muzzle loader tag for this unit. I live out of state. What kind of things could I expect good or bad on this hunt? Was thinking muleys but would consider coues as well.

Yes the local "municipal" population of mule deer is high, but that does not encompass unit 23 much at all. Mule deer numbers in 23 are marginal at best. There are good bucks to be found but excessive pressure usually keeps them well off the main roadways. Good things about 23 are that it is a huge unit going from high alpine forest down to high dessert plains. Downside, again, is too many tags are usually given out which leads to seeing a lot of people. If you are willing to put in some boot leather then you may be able to get into some deer.
Locals here always say that there is a reason certain hunts have left over tags.
Hope this helps a little

Jeff

Yeah I figured as much with the leftover tags. I am just looking at a way to get out into the field and am hoping to have an opportunity to take a deer. Thanks for your guys help so far. If anyone doesn't want to post on the forum I welcome Pm messages as well.

Well I picked up a leftover whitetail tag. Gonna give it a whirl. See what happens. A few extra days in the field will do me some good.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom